360 - No Engine out Svc leading to poor PM's? | FerrariChat

360 No Engine out Svc leading to poor PM's?

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I'm in the middle of pulling my engine compartment apart for exhaust, pm's...... and got to thinking based on what I'm observing with my 01 22k mile modena - Since this is the first year of no engine out, does not pulling the engine lead to over-looking other issues that were normally caught/inspected with prior year engine out methods?

Working through that access hole could lead to serving the bare minimum?

Just a question for the OG mechanics around.

Also pulling my car down to this point, engine out looks pretty straight forward. This car is very easy to work on, with fasteners designed to go on and come off with no drama.

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't think I so. Compared with other cars - which don't have engine removal as part of their service plan - there is a lot of room around the engine and gearbox.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Engine out service? Why on earth would you do that? That car was designed for all routine work to be done in the car.

WTF is an OG mechanic? And what is a PM?

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    You’re an example of an OG mechanic.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Answers no questions.

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm guessing 'Old Guard'??

and 'Periodic Maintenance'?

Kevin

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    OG = original gangster...as in old school, authentic, original

As for PM, I'm guessing OP's trying to say preventative maintenance

one4torque, HH11 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you pull the engine lets say to "do more preventative maintenance", doesn't that also increase the possibility that you might add an error into the repair?
    I like to muck with things as minimally as I can. Whenever a repair is done, you have the possibility of not routing a line properly, a fastener breaking, etc. That we don't have to remove the engine is a serious plus in my eyes. One shop that is no longer in business locally would pull the engine on the 360 and use that as hostage to extract money from the hapless owner that sent their cars to them. Owner was ultimately jailed on check fraud.

KC360 FL likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Abbreviations are stupid and worthless if they do not have universal or at least widespread understanding and acceptance. Neither of these do. Oh well. if someone actually cares to try real communication it goes so much easier. This run at trying to be some kind of hipster failed badly.

Mimmo Blue, Flea7 and KC360 FL like this.
  10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    He's simply saying he wants to know some answers from mechanics who have been doing this for awhile and/or who know these cars inside and out. You're one of those people.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When he uses the English language we will know that.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    considering I'm a 51 yr old man typing on a small phone, cut me some slack with the euphemisms.... I presume this makes sense to you? ;)

Yes OLD mechanics, please advise on if the lack of pulling the engine out will lead to missing any PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE ITEMS... that MAY BE OVER LOOKED! ;) please.

Love you all,
    Jeff

PS - I appreciate a crotchety person.... from my experience.... (spelling it all out now)..... High Crotchety = High Competitence. Of course there are just the unskilled mean people... but I'm assuming we don't have those here.

driller1 likes this.
  13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Had the OP asked a simple question with no strange abbreviations, the simple answer would be "NO"!

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yeah, but what does "N" "O" stand for?

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    well that clears it up!

I still think pulling an engine offers a better view of things.... wiring, grounds connections, leak points, etc..... vs just poking through a window.

I wonder how many mechanics just change the belts and call it good vs actually taking the time to look for wear items?

I say this because I'm going through my engine compartment now..... and finding all sorts of chaffed items, loose grounds, etc.... that have not been caught on several trips to a few shops...... I presume wear items don't hit the radar..... vs getting cars in and out on the road.

for future reference:
    OG - old guard, original gangster (if you prefer)
    PM - preventative maintenance
    NO - negative

ciao!

16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Spoken like a true OG!
    Brian, you're our hero. An OG is a compliment. An honor, actually. And to be an OG Ferrari mechanic?? We bow down! :)

one4torque likes this.
  17. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I've learned on Italian cars if you don't have to touch something, leave it alone. 99.9% of cars on the road don't require the engine to be removed for service and you can see most components on the 360 with the rear diffuser and tray removed. Its your call but I personally wouldn't be disconnecting electrical connections on a 19 year old Ferrari if you don't have to. As fun as it is when its all back together to have a check engine light or intermittent problem then tracing back all your work to find it... just my $0.02. I had my Murcielago in for basic service (fluids, filters) on the way home the rpm started bouncing from idle to 3k up and down... towed the car home let it cool down, started it again.. 0-3k rpm bounce. Towed the car to Lambo, they said it needed a new throttle body. That didn't help, then a wiring harness, that didn't help. After getting frustrated I sent the car to a guy who knows Lamborghini inside and out in Newport beach, he found that a pin was bent on the ecu connector. Turned out the first mechanic pulled my ecu to try it on another car that had an ECU issue. After a season lost of driving, a missed straight trade on a 599 manual and 40K in parts Im a firm believer... don't disconnect, or touch whatever doesn't need to be touched.