360 - Pre Cat Check | FerrariChat

360 Pre Cat Check

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalGerBrit, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Question. How do you determine if pre-cats are OK or are failing? Scope? What do you look for with the scope? Crumbling cat material etc? I long ago deleted the cats and have test pipes with O2 extender tubes and only get a CEL after long runs and that clears itself after a few restarts.

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I would just get rid of the pre cats do not ever worry about again , and not mention your car will sound a heck of allot better. I replaced my with Fabspeed headers cost around 2800.00 BUT !! if I had to do it over again I would have taken my stock headers cut them open and knock that crap pre cats out and re weld back together IMHO

3. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I like your suggestion of gutting the precats. I did that many years ago with my Testarossa but all I had to do was punch out the "honeycomb" and shake out the material. Can the 360 pre cats just be punched out using a flexible rod? The TR was a straight shot and easy. Have not studied the 360
    anatomy so might be a stupid question. I have a Tig welder that I tinker with all the time so it would not bother me to pull and open up the stock pre cats.

4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Here is a link that has a ex ray on the 360 headers with the precats this should be help for you to see where they are located

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just pulled my 01 modena headers off, and yes you can clearly see the pre-cats. Mine were in tact.... but white power everywhere.
    I have a/m headers going in soon.

We used to just use a long steel rod to knock cat's out of stock pipes.... appears to be suitable access in these headers.
    I can take a pic if you like. Have them sitting in a box in my shop.

Pc of mind pulling those out. I'm sure that white powder (IF it is getting in the cylinders) is NOT good for ring seal, and cyl lubrication.

Terrible design IMHO for such a flag-ship auto...... terrible I tell ya!

6. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    From Randy's xrays, it looks to me like punching them out would work unless I am missing something. Am I missing something?

7. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I for one am not convinced that this Fabspeed fellow is a qualified radiologist. With this patient at minimum he should have ordered a CAT scan.

I'll show myself out.

RedNeck, Dewinator and kes7u like this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    bass - nice job sir.

9. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Looks like pull and punch will work.

10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I don't think punching or pulling the cat out would be a nice or easy job. Hacking in through the heat shields to get them out is pretty ugly too. With the heat shields peeled off the answer would be to chop the cat section off and weld on a decent collector and spot weld the heat shields back on. That would be my mode of attack.

11. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    So it is not a simple matter of punching out the material via the exhaust end?

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ll post up a pic, you have good access to the cat to just punch it out.

just looked at my oem headers. Lmk if you want the pic.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i used a huge drill on my 360's pre-cat. it will not budge!

so , i cut the header to do that , then I weld it back.

I don't understand why people want to use aftermarket headers coz they usually cause heat issue and melt things and cost a LOT of wrap them. And it looks bad too.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Once you start punching/pulling, you will have to get 100% of the cat out. Every last bit including whatever holds it in there.

one4torque likes this.
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    24000- if my factory precats were already coming apart I would have just whacked them out. But since they are intact better to save original parts if I ever sell.

Amazing the high prices used factory headers bring!

16. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Yes, I would appreciate that. Picture would be helpful but sounds like it is not nearly as simple as the TR cat punch out.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    here you go..... looks like good access for the hammer and rod method as used for the past 30 years by cat decommissioners world wide.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Looks pretty much like the TR did. If there is any doubt about it not being completely cleaned out, it can be cut open, complete gutting and tig it back together.

one4torque likes this.
  19. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Photo show what appears to be a Metal Matrix Catalytic Element. What component fails? The metal webbing erodes?
    My understanding, Ferrari learned their lesson on the 355. The ceramic matrix were notorious for breaking down causing cylinder damage.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    From May 15 2014 post—/

“caught it before any damage to engine, the loose precat sounded like popcorn when cold, then normal when hot,

got lucky on this, now have new headers with no pre cats, runs great.

The pre cat appears to be a metallic honeycomb as opposed to ceramic. Its very durable but it seems to be a press fit into the collector of the stock header and can become loose like mine did, seems like chance of reversion into engine head is low on a 360, but still glad I caught it.”

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    My cat was not loose, but I had the white powder. I’ll keep the stock headers cats w the car upon sale if new owner wants it.

22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 EastMemphis, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    I had a long talk about this topic with Fonzie at J. Scuderia in New Jersey last night. He said that the cat components can be removed from the header without cutting it but... the result is that the space left by the cat causes a power loss due to turbulence and less back pressure in the mid range RPM's and recommended against it. He also said that the typical failure mode is from misfires, where unburned fuel gets into the exhaust, explodes when it reaches the cat and that pressure wave destroys the delicate matrix of metal and ceramic. As the cat falls apart, the little pieces get tossed around in the header and get into the engine, potentially destroying it.

The good news, at least from his opinion, is that the damage can be detected before it wrecks the engine. If your engine misfires and a new sound is detected like "pennies in a jar", stop the engine, pull the O2 sensor and scope the cats. The damage should be obvious. At that point, the car shouldn't be started and a header replacement, along with a careful inspection of the engine should be done. Waiting for a flashing CEL is like shooting your car in the head, literally. It's already cratered. Pulling the spark plugs is a good start. If they look normal, the engine is probably ok. If they look sandblasted, it's toast and is going to require a teardown and a lot of expensive parts.

He said that the problem can start from a bad injector. A good practice would be to check the spray pattern of the injectors and check for leakage at regular intervals. Another cause of misfires is when the car starts, the master ECU is awake from the immobilizer but the slave ECU doesn't wake up right away. If you start the engine and it runs rough, turn it off and restart. The slave ECU should be awake at that point and the car should run smoothly. He said that misfires from the slave ECU can be avoided by turning the ignition on, defeating the immobilizer, then turning it off (without starting), then back on again. The second time the ignition is turned on, both ECU's are awake.

Fonzie recommended replacing the headers if there is any doubt that the cats aren't in perfect shape.

<opinion>I think a lot of this issue can be avoided by being "one with the car". Listen to the engine. If any new sounds or a change in sound is detected, figure out why before going on that long, spirited drive.</opinion>

Apollo 11, Need4Spd and one4torque like this.
  23. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The info I was looking for. Not the simple to remove ceramic material, lots of warning before they go, not a good idea to punch out because of loss of power, and be prepared to deck the cheaper aftermarket headers if OEM headers do go kaput.

24. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    If there is really "lots of warning" before the pre-cats fail, then either the pre-cats weren't actually the root cause of whatever failed on my car, or I'm an idiot.

Unfortunately we can't yet rule out the possibility of either.

jj99c2 likes this.
  25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Interesting about the space left by the cat causing turbulence etc. I have challenge car headers on my 430 and they are simply stock manifolds without cats and have the space or cavity where the cat would normally be. Certainly no loss of power, I would say the opposite but would need back to back dyno runs to prove that. If my headers ever come off again I might chop the cat cavities off and make nice merge collectors to go on there which I'm sure would be an improvement.