Brake master cylinder/booster install | FerrariChat

Brake master cylinder/booster install

Discussion in '308/328' started by kiwiokie, Jan 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Next on my reassembly list for the ‘75 GT4 is the brake master cylinder and power booster install. These are freshly rebuilt, lines flushed, calipers rebuilt so no fluid in the entire system. I did not remove these components from the car so are there any gotchas I need to consider before installing? Does the master cylinder require bench bleeding before install or will bleeding in the car suffice? Thanks in advance, John

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    It must be early. I admit I read that ten times thinking, "How the hell do you rebuild that stuff without removing it from the car??"

I've done fresh calipers and empty lines on these cars and didn't have any special bleeding issues. I have a vacuum bleeder that hooks on the caliper nipple and I also used a little pedal power to jiggle and move things along. I have not - yet - replaced the master on a 308.

I'd like to know more about your booster rebuild experience. Who did it, are parts easy to find, etc.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I would bench bleed it before installing it.

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Not sure who the Op used for the booster overhaul but I highly recommend Power Brake Booster in Portland OR. Quick turnaround, very knowledgable. Ask for Dewey. Around $200 USD w/shipping.

thorn likes this.
  5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Sorry I should have explained - they were removed by someone else. I used White Post in VA for the rebuild. The rebuild kit for the master cylinder came from GT Car Parts but apparently one of the seals was incorrect so they had to source a replacement which took some weeks. Not the best communicators around - had to call them to confirm they received the parts, check if they found seal, check on shipping etc but nicely packed and look pretty. Will see once installed.

Subsequently had a couple of other shops recommended so will dig those up and post to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I did not provide any parts for the booster so presumably they had what was required.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon all,
    That's a very good price IMO.

John.

8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name: