348 - 348 spider - PPI what to look for | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 348 spider - PPI what to look for

Discussion in '348/355' started by jbla, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I own one. Yeah, it's red but not this red!! Just knowing the mileage and seeing this color, I say buy this car!! Just get all kinds of pictures from the dealer. The item to keep it going thru the years may include Alt. A/C comp., and Cats. Engine out for belts and gskts. Cars are pretty robust otherwise. This color will hold up the value of this car . Keep us informed. Excitable minds need to know.

2. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    Sadly I had to walk away from this one because they refused to allow any outside inspection. They weren’t very friendly about it either, for what it’s worth. I took that as red flags and left.

After I drove it, I drove a testarossa at Continental and of course there’s a lot of difference between those two cars and now I need to go see about a 355 and 360 before I dive back into the market and focus on a model.

I will say the color is gorgeous in person, it drives great and the records have the appearance of being mostly sorted.

3. racer

racer Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You may have been to quick to jump off this 348

#1 its gorgeous
    #2 its a 1995 The last year they are the best ones all the issues were worked out of the car by end of production
    #3 lake forest is a very good Ferrari Dealer
    #4 it has a complete service history which you should be able to get from the dealer
    #5 there a few things it will need sticky plastic
    #6 touch up leather
    #7 Last belt service? maybe tires

4. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    As the miles rack up( yes you have to drive it- Enzo the Ferrari god says so) you may need an Alt. an A/C comp., Cats., A/C fuse, CV boots, door wire connectors etc. Engine out for belts , pulleys and gaskets. All of this is nothin' compared to 355 and 360 spiders. Those are digital cars with a lot of electrics and electronics. I've been an auto tech for 40 years and I don't want to be wrenching on my fun car all the time. The color on this car will ensure strong resale. I researched for 2 years to come to my conclusion. My wallet is only so big. Racer would know. I'm with Racer. GL.

5. THellman

THellman Rookie

Oct 6, 2015
    My thought - maybe too early jump - but there were a few issues I saw. Sticky faces - but can be easily corrected, and leather parking break boot cover. Easily fixed too.
    I've had my '91 348 TS for 3 years, 14,500 mile car. Great car - but 2nd gear as mentioned when cold, doesn't like to go in gear. And I replaced the exhaust manifold/headers because they were in excellent condition and replaced them with Fabspeed Headers, to preserve them. I did this when I had the engine out belt service. Costly replacement if they develop leaks or go bad. About the only other thing I've had to do was get my sticky parts refurbished and the trunk and engine cover shock absorbers replaced(did those myself and those were reasonably priced, $30 for both!) But there will always be others.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Agree with all of this ^^^

Also, according to the ad - "recent major belt service completed in 2017. "

I'd trust Lake Forest enough to have them do the leak-down test. And take it from there. Or...

Consider too that Ferrari says three years for cam belt changes... then negotiate a deal that includes a full service as well.

I have a feeling that whoever buys this car will be very satisfied, and very happy as well.

7. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    If you go back to Lake Forest, don't pull up in the Dodge Omni again. Borrow a Corvette or something. They'll treat you better.

8. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Don,t think he is going back. Price just went up 13k. You snooze, you loose!!!

9. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    In the end after a bunch of test drives, I liked the 360 way, way more.

I recognize it had the potential to be a clean deal. One, I did not like the attitude and if there’s not trust, I can’t commit, never mind the deal. Exotic car dealerships should understand this- the ones I’ve bought from before have.

Two, I just didn’t like the way it drove. It’s too rough for me. I want a 360.

So my regards to whomever the successful buyer is and I have no regrets.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  10. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Well , there you go. I knew that was a special car, and now they figured it out. L.F. probably saw our thread. A 93' 348 S.S. sold on B.A.T. yesterday. Way too many strange issues for the price sold. I should have jumped on this '95. Dammit! Special cars command more money. This was one.

Wade likes this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You should drive a 355 before you but a 360. A sorted 355 is v ery reliable. 360s have there own problems. Read the 360 section.

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I thought the car was perhaps a bit over priced, but I would have looked at it. I owned a 94 Spider before my SS and loved it. A TR is a completely different animal and if you like that drive, a 348 (or a 355 or 360) isn't going to make it for you. 360 priced are getting down to a very reasonable level, but the car isn't without its issues, some of them shared with the 355. Services are less expensive because much of the work can be done with the engine in place. The clutch is inboard so that requires and engine out, unlike the 348 or 355, but still an interesting option and somewhat current in design. However, the driving feel is so much different from a 348 and once that bug grabs you, no later model Ferrari will do.

Wade likes this.