348 - Brake Squeal Issue... Tearing my Hair Out!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Brake Squeal Issue... Tearing my Hair Out!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Koenig1, Dec 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Just noticed that this is a "Frankenstein" set. Two of the pads have no anti-squeal backing pads and no "Brembo" written on them. Probably better not to buy.

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    *** spelling error....so Brembo did it for a reason.

4. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    #29 Koenig1, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Guys, thanks for all your info & thoughts. Porterfield pads are on their way. When they arrive I will do a complete & through inspection and install, again...LOL! Will update next week, thanks again.
    Polo... MB pads have got to be the dirtiest pads alive! I couldn't wait to change out the factory pads on both my MB's. The amount of dust/dirt on the wheels was incredible! I'll admit that they stopped well, but I replaced with ceramics. Then again, you have the 550 (8cyl) and probably need the 'extra' stopping power!!!

5. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Well, so far, Porterfields for the win!. A couple of squeaks yesterday, a few less today. Hoping they're gradually breaking in! When i heard the 1st squeak yesterday, I thought OH NO, but seems to be less and less. Time will tell.... Cooler day today, hoping that's not a reason for less squeaks, LOL! Report back in a week....

6. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Had the same embarrassing squeaks a couple of years ago on my 348, tried all the usual remedies but nothing work.
    Took it to member 2NA "Tim" here in Minnesota and he fix it and no squeaks for the last two years and I drive it almost everyday here in MN during the Summer months.
    Sorry that I can't remember exactly what he did but think he replace the Brembo's with Porterfields.
    Maybe Tim "2NA"can chime in on this as what ever he did totally fix this issue.
    Now I can drive in town without people looking at me when they heard the squeaks.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I assume you can turn rotors assuming the are in spec, there is nothing magical about Ferrari's in this regard.

8. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Well, I said I'd report back...! Porterfields are squealing, just 1/2 as much as the others...! I pulled the new pads, cut out a spacer the size of a worn pad, and went through the process of pushing/expanding all the front pistons back & forth, to make sure I didn't have a dragging piston. Reassembled the new Porterfields, bled it all again, and went for a drive. 30 mins in and 1 squawk... wonderful, and then... 5 mins more and then it started again. Not every instance, but any light braking and more noise. Since then, every ride consists of the 1st 20>30 mins of no squeaks, then it decides to start up. I was researching the ATE calipers trying to find a piston seal kit. Apparently non existent! The ATE calipers have 2 size pistons, 36mm & 40mm. There are rumors that a BMW750i may offer the 40mm, but nothing in my research so far for the 36mm. Lots of old threads on this. So, IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND THESE SEALS, I'd be forever in your debt. Another thought, will the later 348/355 Brembo calipers bolt up, as apparently the seals are available for Brembos'? Actually had a chat with Mike@Girodisk. He was suggesting his 'Magic Girodisk' brake pads... I'm a little leary of purchasing yet another pad set, and hurt some more. Am I missing anything else? More suggestions please.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #34 m.stojanovic, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    I have made an extensive search for ATE seals (including comparison with all BMW, Volvo etc. seals) and could not find any to match the 348 calipers. I then decided to go for Brembo calipers. For the rears, I bought a used set off a 355 and they fit perfectly on the 348. As for the front calipers, it seems that the 355 ones will not fit as the 355 discs are 28 mm thick and the 348 discs are 24 mm. I bought new 348 front Brembo calipers from Eurospares (and spare Brembo seals from Zeckshausen).

An obvious thing to do to try to solve the squeal problem is to put original Ate pads in (actually made by Galfer, their no. 3318FF) because these pads are directional, i.e. have their anti-squeal pads positioned eccentrically so that the "downstream" half of the pad is pressed slightly harder than the "upstream" half. I think this is crucial for preventing the pad vibration. This is the set of Ate pads I recently bought on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-ATE-Brake-Pads-Set-for-Porsche-911-930-928-944-968-Ferrari-348-F355/121973506690?hash=item1c66300282:g:97MAAOSwXXxZXV2z:, one more set available)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh new pistons AND new seal kits are out there alright, I had them bookmarked but lost the book marks. A shop in Germany actually has them, I actually spoke to them they also rebuild pressure test and paint the ATE calipers not including pistons if you need them. About $400 rebuild and paint per caliper if I recall.

11. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Thanks Miro, just ordered, won't arrive for a bit, so I'm thinking I might experiment by cutting down the backing (vibration)plate on some of my spares to copy the Galfer 3/4 one. Who knows, maybe I'll have a lifetime supply, LOL. Wish I had saved my originals....
    Good to know the 348 front Brembos' will fit.
    Ferrarium... I would have thought the same... I believe there is someone(Fchat) with a 512 that went through the same searching for replacement seals. He actually ordered from 4 or 5 European suppliers, only to receive Brembo replacements, and others that didn't fit? I know one of them was a German outfit. Anyway thanks for the info....

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The are actual ATE seals not Brembo, as mentioned they have actual ATE rebuild service too, let me see if I can find it, I actually spoke to them.

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The rear 355 Brembos fit the rear 348 brakes. The front Brembos from a 355 will not fit the front 348 brakes, you will have to buy front Brembo calipers meant for the 348.

14. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick

Id be interested to know who has the seals for the ATE callipers. I couldn't find anyone in Europe when looking. Plenty of others have looked too..I don't have any issues but would probably get some as spares if they sell them separately without having the rebuild. I would want to replace them myself.

15. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    X2...!

16. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's my saga in the pursuit of trying to stop the squeak/locate replacement seals!!!

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=753868#post753868

Anyway, the situation now is that the new caliper cured the squeak on that side - just hv eit on the other side so half way there. I have actually bought a low milage to replace my existing LHS caliper that I'm hoping will cure the problem altogether.

My own personal opinion is that different types of pads wont fix it - its caused by either the pads not releasing off properly causing them to heat up and jam slightly or the pad is not being pressed on properly. In my personal case they are much worse in hot weather or when its a cold day after the brakes have had some use. The squeak only occurs when applying the brakes gently when coming to a stop.

17. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    348Jeff, thanks for that explanation.... exactly the same scenario! I actually tuned into your thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm of the belief that calipers are the answer... even though I broke down and bought another set of OEM pads. You done an amazing job in bringing a 348 back to a good life! Kudos to you!

18. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you Sandy :)

I'm the 2nd car arriving "announcing" my arrival! :-(

As said I bought a brand new (old stock) caliper from Maranello which cured that side so now have a spare squeaking caliper. If theres any interest I could do a post mortem on it as one of the theories is that rust under the guide plates forces the calipers upward/inwards restricting the pads free movement....

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has to be piston? Check for square-ness.

20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It seems that the Ate calipers are not really good. When I bought my 348 (had just 12 k miles), I had no squeaks but one of the rear calipers was binding after a short drive. That's when I started looking for Ate seals and, as I could not find any, I went for Brembos all round.

21. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think I know how to fix this and have taken some (very low quality) videos.

I dont know how to upload a 12mb video though and not registered with youtube (dont want to). Any idaes and Ill upload the videos?

22. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Jeff, I'm all ears...! Not sure how to post media either... Please just send me the video by email....... [email protected]
    best,
    Sandy

23. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There's about 10 of them plus about 10 photos!

I've completely stripped a caliper down to it's component parts and to my mind fixed the problem - really wish I could upload them

24. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've succumbed and posted the first one on youtube. Can't apogize enough for the poor quality - I'm no Stephen Spielberg! lol

This is just the intro - I'll post the other sup if there is interest - take a look and let me know....

25. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    And this is the sticking side of it after fixing it

Just bear with whilst I add up further pics and videos showing what I did to fix it