458 - How not to lowball on 458 sale | FerrariChat

458 How not to lowball on 458 sale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eg9, Jan 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    #1 eg9, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
    I am looking for a ‘10/‘11 458 and found the one I want but it has Accident Reported (Rear-end Collision). It’s a 2010 in yellow with 11k miles. They are asking $135k but was going to offer $105k?? Is that extreme or reasonable knowing it’s 10yrs old, 4 previous owners and has been in an accident?

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The 2010 and 2011 458's have big risk of defective DC'T's ! Beware.

There are no cheap Ferraris !

3. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thats absolute BS! All the models from 2010-2015 had those issues and they were always in the low mileage cars, but the updated software that came out in 2012 helped..please stop spreading false fear mongering info when you're not sure what youre talking about..I've talked extensively with Ferrari mechanics and service techs before buying mine and they said they have seen 2010's and they have seen 2015's have the issues and that the 2010/2011 is forum know it all BS, as a matter of fact i was told by a very well known Ferrari shop owner in LA to find a driven 2010 as its best sounding and just as reliable as a 2015 if maintained

as to answer the OP, You can't even get a salvaged fixed one for $105,000 the seller will laugh at you with that offer.

xfrgtr and alibo70 like this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i would say make the offer what have you to lose? I doubt they have had many offers.

tres55, Thecadster and EastMemphis like this.
  5. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’d spend more for a clean one or not buy it, personally.
    105k crazy low but nothing to lose.

6. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Ok.. thanks for the response.
    2010 yellow for min optioned with 10k miles w/$270k original price with fixed rear end damage? Would you offer $115k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    I’ve always been told to not buy salvaged/accident vehicles with lots of previous owners but then who end up buying these Ferrari’s?
    I totally agree that for only $20-$30k less, you should definitely go for clean title no accident 458 all day long, but for $50k-$70k less then it starts to feel better knowing you too will have great difficulty selling with possible issues emerging during ownership..

8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    #8 Tarek307, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    you won't get it for $115,000 $120-$125 maybe..i've seen them at auction with 40,000 miles 2.0 condition report which means absolute POS (cars i wouldn't even touch) and they still go around $117-$125 and thats at dealer auction.

I'm assuming this is a clean title car, with just an accident on report.

9. turbokraft

turbokraft Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Johnathan David Adams
    I bought a 2011 Red Italia w/wreck damage and 24,000 miles for 118k, that owner refused an offer of 112K. This was sold on ebay. I drove the car home 700 miles and 0 regrets. Is the car perfect? No. Is the repair work obvious? No. There are some cosmetic flaws in the paint in areas not involved in the accident that totaled the car and minor scratches that paint correction would likely fix. I am delighted with the car, no one but me knows it is a salvage/rebuilt car. I bought an 08 Z06 that was salvaged as a flood car also from an ebay auction, have owned that car for 3 years and never had a problem. These were risky purchases but I am a trained auto mechanic and had lengthy discussions with both sellers prior to buying. My personal experience with salvage vehicles. I have a Highly modified 1997 Viper GTS also bought through ebay, my garage is obviously a junkyard lol.....

tres55, tatry68 and Melvok like this.
  10. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Yes, clean title with 1 accident. I’m sure someone would pay that but $125k is unreasonable. That puts it too close to much cleaner cars out there.
    That’s great news for Ferrari owners with damage on there cars as other auto brands with accidents would not be that close in price to non accident sales.

11. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    There was a TDF Blue Italia for sale a few months ago when I was looking. It had quite a few miles, low options, and a ding from an accident. I saw pictures prior to the accident and added up some parts along with the cost of the salvage from the auction and there was not much wiggle room in their price with no labor added to it. It was priced about 15 to 20k too high in my opinion. The price was in line with clean cars.

Look at what the salvage cars are selling for. They seem to go for quite a bit of money. Add to that the parts for the repair and I suspect you are at another 20k for something mildly damaged. Add to that labor which varies greatly and I am not sure how you make a profit on rebuilding a salvage Ferrari the right way. If you skimp on things they yes there could be a small profit.

Anyone have the numbers on the Goonzquad 458?

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What the hell do we know dude. Just make the offer. If they accept great. If they don’t, then decide if you want to counter. No one here can answer that question for you.

APA#1, Dewinator, AD211 and 3 others like this.
  13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +458

Reiziger likes this.
  14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suggest you wait at least two weeks before making ANY offers. Who knows what a hot war with Iran will do to the price of used, slightly tarnished, luxury goods. I doubt they will go up.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Meh- that last two weeks of driving that you are going to miss out on. If you want the car make the offer.

16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

How is that close to non accident cars ? Plus you are talking about clean title with just an accident on record - not like it’s salvage..it sounds like you’re trying to “steal” one which won’t happen ..$125 is NOT close to no accident ones..show me any even listed below $145 with reasonalw miles and no accident on carfax / very rare!

I recommend u buy a 430 if that’s your budget

Melvok, LI2782 and Rory breaker like this.
  17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    relative to the question - make a low ball offer or not. I say go for it. I just sold my F12 , many low ball offers & I could careless. In fact I took it as buyers feeling their way in the market as opposed to bogus. Imo if a buyer is serious they will get to appropriate sale price the same way the a serious seller will get to the sell price. Most low ballers , I told them "thanks , but I would list the car X amount lower before I'm at your offer, so hang tight"
    good luck

18. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    I’m noticing more and more salvaged and 1 accident 458’s out there when searching. So... who usually buys those? and is it worth saving $20k?

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No.

Caeruleus11 and EastMemphis like this.
  20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #21 ScottS, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Depends on you. Cosmetics with good repair and clear history ? Maybe. You cannot see the outside of the car while driving.

General rule 10% off for documented minor accident. Sounds like it is discounted that amount already.

The thing is there are a lot of cars out there with paint work without any documentation due to owners repairing and not reporting or using insurance. There are cars which should have been totaled that are bought from owners and repaired to “clean carfaxes “ and sold as pristine. Hard to know really in many cases.

See my thread on my FF which was perfect but had a carfax issue pop up after from prior owners. System is corrupt.

Is it worth it to you ? can be a good way to get a discounted car. Alva5’s F12 looked perfect and someone got a smoking deal. If
    I knew I was keeping a car and had documentation of an accident and repair, I’d take a deep Discount.

To the OP is the yellow 458 a California car recently from CNC? I almost bought that one just because it was so economical. I should have.

Low ball offers are a joke. Don’t do that but you can open low low if your interested and will go up. You know the Churchill story about “you think I’m a whore”. Well you are. We are only gagging over price. Consider what most others have as a next best alternative. For my FF with nothing the next alternative was trading in. I was clear with the break even number with potential buyers. Take the sale price. Take 18% off and that’s the Dealer grade plus tax credit unless you live in Illinois for example. And at that rate there’s less risk and bull to deal with flaky and bottom fishing buyers.

Buy what moves you. If you get a discount just know you’ll give a discount on the sale.

Good luck.

ScottS

21. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    It’s from Texas and seller stated there is also noise from left wheel area but doesn’t think it’s a big issue.
    He’s willing to go down but not to $115k.
    I will take the advice from folks here and pass on this and save a few more months for something clean around $150k.

22. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

good idea.

23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Whether or not to low ball is one thing. Just remember the cheapest Ferrari is very often the most expensive one. I would not buy the one you mentioned.

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Baloney. I have a 2010 and so do 2 of my friends. Our 3 cars have a combined total of 30k+ miles, with no DCT issues.