Paul Newman and Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Paul Newman and Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GIOTTO, Sep 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Amazing! Probably met you way, way back at one of the LA FOC gatherings then. Would it be correct that you were in attendance when the story of too much tequilla at a Red Onion was the culprit for going racing with a Ferrari was told?

P Paul is still around as he name continues to pop up as a participant at various Ferrari events. I have not heard anything on Ron Spangler in years (or is that a decade or two). For the "old FOC crowd" in LA check with Ed Niles. He is still kicking and lives over the hill in "the valley".

Jeff

2. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Does Ron still play with aircraft too?

Jeff

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Correct, I believe.

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/all.ferraris/detail/14437.365gtb4.comp.si.htm

This car also raced numerous times in the Historic Challenge with Arnott. Charlie's son also raced it and had a racing incident with it at Lime Rock, IIRC. While there was reportedly substantial damage, it was all cosmetic, and it was repaired. Reportedly, this car was offered by Symbolic in '09, but I believe Arnott may still own it. Not 100% sure on that, and when I next see him, I will confirm.

CW

5. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    I still love that Daytona, thankful to have had an opportunity to work with the car and help campaign it in the Historic series. There are a couple good clips on Youtube of the car running across the Nascar turn at California Speedway just after the engine was freshened up, It sounds unbelievable at full song. As I recall, Charlie still owns the car.

6. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I stumbled on this thread about Paul Newman, the real man and race driver that I thought would be interesting to resurrect as I for one, was not aware of his personal involvement with Ferraris. It's a good insight into the true Paul Newman, not just the actor. Post #19 was especially a good read.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    See "Winning The Racing life of Paul Newman", by Matt Stone and Preston Lerner.

Forward by Mario Andretti

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #58 GIOTTO, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I could be wrong but I think this is a manufactured photo.Look at the difference in shades of color on the Gozzi,Newman and Montezelemo(?) part of the picture. No problem There are several B&W photos of E.F. which have clearly been created in the days of the "dark room" tong's crew

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    member, scuse my Inglish,my very bad French. I can remember decades ago when I spoke passing French. I can say "I don't under stand you in....... ( several languages including French and Russian Go figure. tonga's crew

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a book out now on all of his cars start to finish.

I see it at Half Price Books all the time!!

12. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    #63 Wolf, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Modulo_B likes this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you mean Matt Stone's book you can get a good copy for a penny plus shipping on Amazon. If it's as weak as Stone's book on James Garner that's about what it's worth.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My company restored that 308 back in the 90's.

It's owner got it from some kind of business deal. It arrived on a trailer that it had sat so long on the tires where melted flat to it.

We took it completely apart. The owner wanted Bob Wallace to rebuild the motor (it had dropped a valve) so we flew to Phoenix to meet with him and discuss the project. We repaired the fiberglass, installed modern safety equipment such as fuel cells and electrical emergency switches, repainted the car, made all new stickers for it, had the name driver Paul Newman hand painted over the door, and ran it with it's owner as the driver. At the time it was not vintage eligible as it was still too new.

It liked to drop valves. I think it did it 2 or 3 times even with Mr. Wallace's tricks. The red line I believe was set at 8500.

We did take it to Monterey several times to run on the track in exhibition. Some may have remember seeing it there but not in the events.

If I remember correctly, the Mr. Newman's Budweiser Ferrari 308 GTB did not have a stellar racing history breaking most of the time.

Modulo_B likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes his driving it was brief before moving on to Datsuns, for reliability...:D :D :D

Chinetti could make them last longer.
    Stock redline is 8000.....They will take it to 10,500 on a missed shift, but not for long......

Modulo_B likes this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes. "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman"

18. C4FX3

C4FX3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    The Ramsey - Newman - Budweiser 308 GTB "Prancing Clydesdale" story was a great read. I just wonder if anybody out there has photos of the restored Ford F-350 race hauler that was painted up in red and had the Newman, Eastwood, Brolin and Hackman names on it.
    Thanks...

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  20. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Assuming this picture is in the factory that must have been a very early 308GTB as I see a lot of GT4s in the picture. I wonder why the grille laterals are two different colors.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Edit: I think some dark colored bumper component is blocking part of the grille laterals from the camera, thus giving the impression that they are partially black.

23. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.