Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 118 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Totally agree, you come here looking for something new (especially in this thread) but you find the same two people posting the same thing over and over again throughout the section as if it were a personal matter or a mission to accomplish.

perrinnation likes this.
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Interestingly, the 2020 Corso Pilota schedule for North America lists 3 SF90’s in the car park. Could be a good chance for prospective clients to try before they buy.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Well done. You totally stuck the landing.

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Where did you get that information?

5. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Apparently the CP schedule will be released soon (possibly next week?).

9. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    this is assetto fiorano

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Always said it should have been wider, like an aventador..

11. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    yes, i meant that if the car were more wider it would look better.. and if they built a sf90xx in the future that would look lower & wider like the concept.

isot likes this.
  12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #2937 DeSoto, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    It should not be wider: it should be smaller. And that applies to 90% of cars.

Notice how good those designer sketches look but then get lost in translation to reality because the real car needs to be bigger and taller so the wheels look smaller and the fenders and surface scuplting less protuded.

Another thing that I´ve noticed is that in the old times, the sketches looked more real, with real proportions, while today they first draw fantasy cars with 30 inch wheels, looking for a "design language" or whatever, and later they have to make a watered down version for production. In the old times they probably didn´t give a **** about design language: they made a sketch, then a model, and that was what you got.

duke744, kandi, SoCal to az and 7 others like this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Cars nowadays need to have certain dimensions for many reasons:
    1) Elaborate mechanical parts.
    2) Occupants comfort.
    3) Crumple zones.
    4) Aero.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not my ****ing problem. It´s up to the designers to make a car that looks good with the constraints they have. Look at that sketch above: it´s like a SF90 of the size of an Alfa 4C. That´s cheating. Something that works in one size doesn´t work ncessarily in another.

The size of modern cars is an issue that we should leave for other occasion to not derail even more the thread

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A sketch is the rough depiction of a design, it's not even in proportion. Designers and engineers have much more serious problems than making something "look nice". (Nice is subjective by the way).

elmadi likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You missed 5) Ego.
    Compare the footprint of the GT2RS with the Pista as just one example of many.

Astrid.Didier and Shadowfax like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The GT2 is a 911, compromised by nature.

elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  18. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Garretto, tomc, Caeruleus11 and 13 others like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes but a compromise that can still manage to decimate the competition and at worse still hold its own in company of same is not answering the question Zeus!

To DeSoto's point (on size, amongst other points raised) - all which are hugely valid in this instance - why produce pictures (for marketing purposes or otherwise) which can in no way shape or form resemble the actual car which can be built? Depicting cars with zero wheel gap yet the ones that roll of the assembly lines have gaps of an SUV also makes no sense. It only proves the designers know what looks good but unfortunately are unable to produce.

Bundy, Astrid.Didier and of2worlds like this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Everybody does it from sketch to build but Ferrari seems to always overdo it with the small wheels and large wheel-arch gaps.

they showed they can do it right with the SP Monzas but always hold back on regular production models. I start to think it’s because of the poor conditions of the Italian roads where they’re developed.

on the other hand I think they should have allowed themselves more freedom with the SF90, making it larger, lower and with bigger wheels to differentiate it further from the F8. Like an Aventador compares to the huracan

But you can’t say these things here or you start getting attacked and being called an hip-hopper or something

Shadowfax and Astrid.Didier like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2946 Shadowfax, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Well said!

And, you "really stuck the landing" big time with that last paragraph. No question about that one! Things can obviously get very sensitive when parting with dollars of this value....understandable and I do sympathize.....but am not going to pretend nothing is wrong that could have and should have been right especially given the outlay.

Although Ferrari over-did the pre production version of the design they certainly under-did it where it counted on the finished product. They had the freedom but someone must have put them back into a cage. Not sure if that was due to profits by not putting the right sized wheels on it to fill up those rather empty spaces properly or if the suspension needed provision for a lot of travel and wheel movement in a bid to provide a super cushy ride for the clientele. Either way it could have looked a lot better I'm damn sure of that.

Astrid.Didier and elmadi like this.
  22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I know some folks like the lowered look, but I don’t understand why the hyperbole about tiny wheels and giant empty space. I look at the 488, F8, 812, Portofino and Stradale and don’t see it resembling my F250 or Wrangler at all.

They seem practical and appropriate to me and beautiful. I want a car to be able to be driven in real life with some degree of comfort if spending this much. If I wanted to race, I would get a race specific car...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Lukeylikey, elmadi, stavura and 4 others like this.
  23. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #2948 ScrappyB, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    All modern Ferraris could benefit aesthetically from a lower ride height and wheel spacers - the SF90 is no exception. I actually think the SF90 fender gaps are similar to a Pista's.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi and Igor Ound like this.
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    most of the times it’s people who never owned a Ferrari and never will either. They must do it just for the feeling of being the highbrow ones for once in their life

25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Fact: In the minds of (mostly Americas...) a small car = cheap car. Cars are made BIGGER to sell. They could easily make them smaller and still check all those boxes.

CarlosArtGb18 and of2worlds like this.