Battery Maintainer | FerrariChat

Battery Maintainer

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sprinter, Oct 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sprinter

sprinter Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    Cincinnati, ohio
    Full Name:
    David J. Hall
    I recently bought a 2013 458 Spider. I hooked up the battery maintainer but it doesn't seem to be charging. Now my battery is dead. Am I doing something wrong?

2. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    check with dealer

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Keep in mind that the tender isn't a battery charger. How long did you leave it attached? When you attached it, did the car's screen show a picture notifying you that it sees the tender?

If you have a voltage member, you might try taking a reading of the electrical system. This can be done directly off the battery posts or via the cigarette lighter in the console (with the ignition on). Just be careful not to blow a fuse

If the car turns on, flip the left hand display over to the voltage screen and see where your voltage meter on the dash is reading.

Ray

4. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    The battery maintainer might be bad. I had that happen on two 458 variants. When you say it didn't seem to be charging what are you basing that off of? If the charging lights on the maintainer aren't coming on and all you see is one malfunction light then it needs to be replaced.

F485 likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No, the battery is dead ... a tender can never repair or load that.

Read the many threads here please !

6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yes the battery is dead. The maintainer will not charge a dead battery. I'm referring to what may have caused the battery to have died when the maintainer was hooked up.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Even hooked up ... the battery of a 458 has no more life than 2-3 years imo ...

8. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I agree with you that the battery doesnt last that long. Could definitely be age related.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The electrical system of the 458 (at least) has Gremlins .... :D

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i thought the ferrari chargers were notoriously unreliable

11. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I'm beginning to think the Ferrari 458 OEM battery is getting a bad reputation created by the crappy charger they provide. I had a couple of electrical system failure notices which I learned were battery issues. So I changed the battery to an O'Reilly Auto Parts exact replacement for $183 and six months later I got one of those messages again. I noticed when I let the car sit for a week the voltages were very low, then I went on a 6 day 1500 mile drive and all the voltages returned to normal and the screens loaded quickly and it started quickly. I then had confirmation it was the stupid OEM "conditioner" that was creating the problem. BTW when I replaced the 458 battery, I put it in my GMC Sierra pickup (daily driver) a year and a half ago and no problems starting my truck. I'm currently using the CTEK MXS 5.0 with a Ferrari adapter I bought on Ebay.

A friend of mine with a 2012 458 said he was having slow to start problems. His battery is 7 years old. I had him drive his car a half hour a day for 7 days without using the conditioner at night. His battery was fine and his car started right away. I told him to stop hooking up the Ferrari Conditioner and go get the CTEK MXS 5.0 which he did and everything is fine now.

Based on this, I think everybody should shelve the Ferrari Conditioner and get the CTEK MXS 5.0 and not worry about their batteries failing.

Caeruleus11 and gzachary like this.
  12. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    How does that plug into the 458 conditioner socket though? Or do you mean connect it directly to the battery?

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting theory but isn’t the Ferrari Conditioner made by CTEK?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Buy a converter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Tender-Adapter-for-CTEK-360-F430-458-California-599-612-/192316637726

It is, but the charge current capability is smaller for the Ferrari charger than the MXS 5.0.

I've never had a problem with my battery, which is what was in the car 5 years ago when I bought it. But I never lock the car in the garage.

I suspect the residual draw from the car's electronics when the alarm is on is greater than the capacity of the Ferrari charger, so batteries systematically go dead. This is fixed by either reducing the car's residual draw by not locking the car or getting a higher capacity charger.

Simple as that.

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I prefer the Ctek 7002- not a problem for me in nearly 12 years of use on many different cars.

16. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Yes the Ferrari Conditioner is made by CTEK but it fails to do the Job and has no readouts Like the CTEK MXS 5.0 - Put the Ferrari One in the bag it came in and put it in your trunk for the next Concours event for show only.

Solid State likes this.