355 - 355 Fuel door not opening all the time. | FerrariChat

355 355 Fuel door not opening all the time.

Discussion in '348/355' started by SA Mike, Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SA Mike

SA Mike Karting

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Martinez
    So sometimes the fuel door does not open when the button is pressed. Is there something that must be done for the door to open like does it have to be in neutral or something like that. I had to push it at least 10 times for the thing to pop open yesterday. Maybe a cable or button issue?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They just get gummed up. The solenoid is right at the door, no cable or anything. There are a couple old threads about removing them and cleaning thoroughly but you can try to spray in a little penetrating oil followed by WD-40 to see if that frees it up for a while.

Rojo and phrogs like this.
  3. SA Mike

SA Mike Karting

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Martinez
    Thank you sir! I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The steering column needs to be unlocked too. If the fuel door is not opening, put the key in the ignition on accessories and give the steering wheel a wiggle to unlock the column & then press the fuel door release.

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I didn’t know that, since it needs the key on to pop I always pressed it before shutting down the engine. I would pull up to the pump, pop the lid, then shut down the engine.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I thought the ignition key had to go to ON, rather than accessory? The wiring diagrams seem to indicate this... not that the Ferrari wiring diagrams are always correct.

7. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    ah yes that's probably right. And of course doing this when the engine is running always works

8. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    You can also pull the gas door latch from the engine compartment. There is a small handle you will find to the front of the shock absorber just behind the gas door area. Ferrari conveniently put back up handles on the luggage, engine and gas latches.

Spray wd40 on the mechanism of the gas latch when you can it will help it open a lot easier. Also check the gas bib if you have one is not folded obstructing and putting pressure on the door. The bib sometimes catches with the latch or the spring mechanism that flips the door open.

ConT likes this.
  9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The biggest culprit which causes my gas door to get stuck is the rubber shield, you need to tuck that thing in there favoring the front of the car to keep it away from the solenoid pin.

10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mine wasn't working about 3 years ago. A little WD-40 in the solenoid plunger and it was working fine. Stopped working again this past weekend. Again another shot of WD-40 and its good again. 3 years of working per fix seems reasonable.

spaghetti_jet, 308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  11. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yep. WD40 fixed my exact same symptoms.