458 - 458 tpms | FerrariChat

458 458 tpms

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hardhattg, Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Hey guys brought my 2012 8k miles now 458 to local Ferrari dealer for annual service . after inspection they told me that my tpms batteries would soon be dead and wanted 1800.00 to change them out . I see 458 tpms sensors all over eBay for around one hundred bucks for a set of four. What gives ? Are these eBay products not really going to work or does Ferrari really just want
    An astronomical amount for something pretty commonly found ?

I told dealer I would wait a while .

Anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks In advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    No firsthand knowledge but with the price difference, may be worth a try.

How much did Ferrari want for the sensors themselves? How much was labor: mount and balance 4 tires, install time for the actual sensors, labor time to do the computer [programming to recognize the new sensors?

3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, I will tell you what I ended up doing- I bought a set of Speciale wheels for my 458 from exotic car wheels here on the forum. I wanted a complete set with TPMS and saw the the sensors were pretty pricey from the seller. I looked online (tire rack?) and saw they could be had for much less. I called Chris at exotic car wheels and found out there's two versions of the sensors depending on year/vin. Rather that having tires mounted and having issues, I went with the OEM parts. Sure its more $ but I want to enjoy the car, not get bogged down with issues. I'll try to find the pricing I paid and post.

4. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My Ferrari dealer mounted the tires on the rims for $300. I installed the new wheels/tires on the car and there was no reprogramming necessary.

5. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Recently bought these to use with my new set of tires and wheels. The car picked up the sensors within a couple blocks and all has been fine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I used the same sensors and they worked great. No programming necessary.

7. TeKNiC3

TeKNiC3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I ordered a set from Tirerack.com after selecting the year and model. Had my tech installed them and they paired up to the car in a few hundred feet of driving.

Can't imagine paying $1800 for TPMS sensors

docf and Need4Spd like this.
  8. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    I couldn’t imagine it either. Just wanted to double check here. Thanks guys . I will be buying those sensors and have my wheel guy install them when mine finally won’t reset anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. BlackF271181

BlackF271181 Karting

Nov 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    H.K
  10. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Yup, you can get the Huf OEM sensors very inexpensively on TPMSBargains and other TPMS supply sites. They work perfectly.

Best bet is to time this with a new set of tires in which case install is 'free'.

Cheers

Matt

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    An estimate of $1800 for TPMS sensor replacement must come from a dealer manual because they quoted the same for me. Since these are generic sensors and no one can see them inside the tires/wheels, I went with a set from TPMSBargains, and had my local tire installer put them in for about $200 in labor.

Had I been thinking, I would have had them installed at the same time my last set of tires were mounted, and as Matt noted, the labor then would have been essentially free. The TPMS batteries can last around 7-10 years, but eventually stop functioning so if they’ve never been changed, get them swapped when you get your next set of tires since even the newest 458s are getting to that age.

I ordered the sensors for $120. https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Ferrari-458-TPMS-Sensor-p/tpms-9008-03-uvc.htm.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat