F12 tdf vs 812 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F12 tdf vs 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    A lot said in this 8 months old thread. For some conversations I wonder what consensus is now (value of tdf higher / lower now?, tdf better over 812?, how bad does damage history matter vs miles?)

Anyway I'm chiming in because I just got rid of my F12 that I barely had a year & put 3k miles on . What a car it was. The only thing is my comparison is only relative to my ownership of 2 Cali's, a 612 & 2 430s.

So last month comes and I take procession of my new 812 and for a short period of time I own both .

Unequivocally I can say the F12 felt , sounded , acted more raw than my new 812 (so I can't imagine a tdf). If my fun car ownership desire was about obnoxiousness and screaming outrageousness then I would be better served in the F12. I could characterize it as an unruly child. But I'm older and my body is tired . I don't track or want to pretend I'm Speedracer any longer. Now I'm looking for a refined , gentleman-ish ride that can rocket me , if I desire. And that is what this 812 is . I am at almost 1000miles and I want it to be my daily driver (I can't) . By far this car feels superior to the F12 in ride and speed. This car is complacent and happy to putput along as I have. But if asked to get going , without a thrashing , smooth as silk it gets me there in a blink.
    No right or wrong here just individual characterization of these car that we love to read about, want and or own.

of2worlds, Dicecal, x z8 and 4 others like this.
  2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree 100%. I have the 812 out today and wow what an incredible beast of a car!

4. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    #79 Hex, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Isn’t it funnny that there are multiple threads comparing other models to the 812? Just sayin. I think it really tells you how good the 812 is.

Pis7a2020 and lamborarri like this.
  5. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Interesting to see an old thread back. I have my tdf for like 7 months by now, done some miles, short and long-distance driving. I don't know what to say, it was not how I would image the car would be despite all the reviews online. I notice before I had the tdf, I had no clue what Chris Harris was talking about in his films.

I find the TDF driving character has very little to do with the original F12. The engine character is similar to 812 but more, and much more. 812 revs cut off at 8250 during hard throttle where TDF keeps going to 9k. Overall, if I must put these 3 cars in line, I think 812 is a detuned version of the TDF (less aggressive of everything), where F12 is the last generation super smooth GT.

My respect for Ferrari has been increasing by 300% after owning the TDF. They are the only supercar company out there that cares about driving over anything.

Roland1688, italiafan, x z8 and 6 others like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Except mclaren with the start of the 720 and 600lt

7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    675LT isn’t a driver’s car said no owner ever.

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The 720s is the most disappointing supercar drive I’ve had in the last decade. Completely clinical and unengaging. Felt like I was driving a computer, not a car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseRohr, tickerhound and x z8 like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same as 488 in my driving experience.

10. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nah, we’ve got a 488 - much more engaging in my personal experience. I felt disconnected from the road in the 720S

wrs and Pis7a2020 like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Eh, not our experience.

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    A friend of mine ordered 720s, took delivery, and sold it one week later for same reasons.

wrs and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  13. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    #88 Hex, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    I kept my 720S, which I ordered new, for a fairly short period of time as well. It seems that this is a common story.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Odd, I've had 2 and love them both. I would get another but I just have too many cars coming in + in line for the LT. To me the 720 is the most complete sports car out there. If you want something more aggressive then the Pista or Perf are your best options oh and a TDF.

15. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    My first and last Mclaren was the 570s which I bought from the Aston/Bentley guys before they sold the brand to Sterling. I had it done up at AWE with exhaust and suspension...first in the country. While the car was fast, it was always broken so I wasn’t able to drive it all the time. Weird issues like the nav screen going dead, brakes locking up, and rear window bubbling up. When the guys at AWE took the car apart to develop the springs and exhaust, they found many components unplugged or improperly installed....seems to have been very little QC done on the car before it left the factory. The car was fast and light but also very numb and with little engagement with the driver, felt very artificial, at least compared to a Porsche or Ferrari. Out of frustration, I had the 570S dragged out of my garage, because the brakes/hydraulics had locked up again due to some low voltage issue. Traded it for an F12 and I have been a Ferrari lover since then. Although I have cautiously considered other Mclarens in the past, it was difficult to get past the first bad experience and the cocky a$$holes that work at Mclaren of Sterling.

There is a reason why they sit on the lot for so long...:)

of2worlds and j09333 like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Like I said I had 2 720s and didnt have any of those issues, You may have gotten a lemon, I don't know and I certainly don't have reason to back one mnfr over another. The reason they might sit is that McLaren sends cars to dealers without an owner attached which is a crappy business model. Some of the dealers struggle, the better ones figure out how to make deals. Sterling in particular is F'ing awful.. I bought 4 cars from them in 18 months and they left me hanging after they screwed something up. F them. I will only use McLaren of Charolette now. From my experience every mnfr has their issues what's differentiates one from another is how they handle them. The dealer has a lot to do with this. Stay away from Sterling and you have a chance of being happy.

17. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I was thinking I had a lemon too or maybe all the issues because it was an early model. I’ve been very tempted to pick up a 720s but have been weary due to the way the sterling guys treat their customers. By the way...see you tomorrow ;)

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You live in Charlotte? Who’s your contact at McLaren of Charlotte?

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ryan who is one of the owners. He is awesome, they also on McLaren Boston.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Let me know by DM if you would like his mobile number.

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ok I'm sure I'll get some heat for at least one aspect of this post, but...

My conclusion: 812 and TDF are so very similar, that for long-term LE purposes, the 599 GTO is the better buy. Why spend $1mm on a TDF when you can just about have a GTO and an 812 for the same money? 812 has rear-wheel steering and all the other desirable technology that debuted in the TDF but just isn't as hardcore. Meanwhile the GTO is a proper hardcore Ferrari.

Also sorry to say it but TO MY EYES the TDF's front is more reminiscent of a 2014 Corvette Z06, while the 599 has that proper Ferrari sex appeal.

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Have you driven a Tdf? Until/unless you have, I don't think you're qualified to make such conclusions.

23. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^
    This

Pis7a2020, Roland1688 and j09333 like this.
  24. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

I have not. But what I am coming to realize is that the tdf is going to be or has already become one of those halo cars--like the 300SL Gullwing, F40, Carrera GT, maybe even GT3 RS 4.0.....where everyone raves and dreams about it and, in many contexts, places it above all else (the 599 GTO not quite as much?)

Interesting to note how there are a few TDFs in europe that have done 40k+ miles....guess that says something.

ok so my conclusion is wrong.

BarryK likes this.
  25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    NOT saying your conclusion is "wrong" per se, as we're all entitled to our opinion and we all have different tastes. Just saying your conclusion is unfounded until/unless you actually drive one and assess for yourself. Per my taste, it's exquisite. :)