Aston Martin loses over half its value | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin loses over half its value

Discussion in 'British' started by rocketman, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Go back to BUILDING a GENTLEMENS GT , These pocket rockets and Carbon looks terrible.
    These cars are terrible.
    Please , lets put millennials to the side ad build cars for 45 to 75 year olds……...Believe me a lot more GRAND DAUGHTERS WILL APEAR in the passenger seats again! :)
    GTJOEY1314

Pawilly likes this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    AM have been bust more times than most of us have changed our socks. If they go again now, it will not be the end, just another chapter.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not without precedent. AM's most glorious period was when its cars first sported the initials DB.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The grand daughters in the passenger seat is a pretty picture, especially since I have 5 going on 6.

5. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The granddaughters I was speaking about are 31 year old secretary :)

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm not sure what an appropriate business plan for performance cars would be today... personnally I'd like an affordable Pagani or Koenigsegg (focussing on customers really passionate about cars - and not chasing high production numbers, but with prices compatible with mere mortals capabilities).

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    fair point

Mimran family and Lamborghini come to mind as well.

but times, and regulations, were simpler back then...

8. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If Aston could come out of this with their integrity and autonomy intact. But the chauvinist in me doesn't like the idea.

9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    m5shiv likes this.
  11. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  12. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    This is what happens when Private Equity takes over a manufacturer whose budgets have been cut to the bone by a succession of owners.

The dream of every PE firm is to leverage the crap out of the acquisition and make their money on the IPO (2018). Since then it has been all downhill. You can't change the world without R&D funding.

boxerman and rocketman like this.
  13. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm curious what you think about AML retaining Marek, who basically delivered a series, many say, mass production design failures, as manifested by continued declines in US sales.

I also gotta believe delaying EV until 2025 is a major mistake, many places will already have banned ICE vehicles by then, and some countries are looking to ban the sale of ICE powered vehicles not long after. Geely could have offered them a power train off the shelf - they already have the Lotus 2000bhp EV platform that could probably have been adapted at at more accessible power and price point, or ones from Polestar.

That all said, I wish AML upcoming success. They also have a great set of enthusiast ownership base too.

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    All their new cars are ugly. What demographic are they appealing to? The boy racer styling and color look dumb, and the DB11 could have a Nissan badge and would fit right in with the rest of their cars.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Robb likes this.
  16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I wouldn't mind being Lance.:D:p:cool::)

m5shiv and Robb like this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Here it is. Thats the problem, the new cars are fugly. The old vantage sold because it was an asthetic masterpiece of 21st century auto design..
    Their saving grace may well be the DBX. If the pictures are to be believed its by far the most appealing SUV to date, inside and out, it laso apprently has a good ride quality which we cant say of most of the others. If its executed well and not too expensive they have a winner.

BJK likes this.
  18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ... then along came COVID-19...

boxerman likes this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not good timing for them.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Man this sucks. I really hope the Valkyrie doesn't get cut short in production because of all this like what happened to the McLaren F1 and the economy at the time.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Usualy ridiculous cars presage a recession.

jgcferrari likes this.
  22. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I agree.

Where is he restrained, finely-tuned, slow introduction of models of yore? I understand from publicity that's being fed the media, that Aston Martin are gambling on four different models appearing in the new James Bond film, to help revive their fortunes. Apart from the fact the Bond films have become product placement vehicles in recent years, how demeaning to rely on this kind of tat.

Bluebottle likes this.
  23. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    Couldn't agree more. I am partial to the smaller AM cars and the new Vantage was an immediate turn off. They may have a shot at cleaning up the design in a mid-cycle refresh but I fear the problems are actually deeper than a bit of tweaks.

I guess the good news is the latest designs drove me to purchase a V12 Vantage S (manual 7-speed dogleg) which is to me the pinnacle of their recent achievements. Will likely be a "keeper" and I can't wait to get her delivered.

psych0hans, plastique999 and boxerman like this.