360 - Opinion on Value | FerrariChat

360 Opinion on Value

Discussion in '360/430' started by Superdjd24, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superdjd24

Superdjd24 Rookie

Dec 25, 2019
    Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and am looking to make my first Ferrari purchase soon. I've been researching 360s for about a year now, and I've come across one that I'm having a hard time putting a value on, and wanted to get some opinions from you all.

It's a 2000 360 modena Berlinetta. Argento Nurburgring silver exterior, dark blue interior.

Gated manual, 65k miles, clean title, no accident history.

Major mechanical overhaul performed 5years/10k miles ago including, seals, belt, clutch and bearing. Both rear view mirrors would need to be repainted, along with maybe a few spots on the passenger door.

The seller is asking $65K for it. I know it's a lot of miles and it needs some paint work but it's a clean title gated manual, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the value. Any thoughts people are willing to share would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    In today's market I think 60k would be a fair price for both of you. My issue with high mileage cars like that is that they'll never rise in value so just keep that in mind. I also think 360s are done going up and are only going to come down. So if the market comes down more it'll go to 50k. But that's all in the future and you also have to put a price on you enjoying it in the meantime.

Oengus and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    For $65k , i will sell you mine :D

It would take $100k to replicate my build :D

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I don’t necessarily agree with all of this. If the 360’s as a while appreciate as Hagerty says they will (they won’t, but even if they appreciate AT ALL), a gated manual, even with “high” miles will not sit still. It may not appreciate like the garage queens, but it will follow suit. If a 20k mile car goes for 120k hypothetically, a 60k car will not still be 60 only because of miles. The older these cars get, the more forgiving mileage will be, there will be less unicorns or museum pieces. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but it once you factor in the value of more desirable cars, inflation, etc., I don’t see a car not rising if the rest of them do. A member of this board just claimed he got $95k for his 2004 gated Modena with over 50k miles. It had a lot of good options and recent service, but the miles were not a complete killer...so assuming he’s not full of it...

I have a gated Modena I bought in 2016 with 53k miles on it, currently has 56. I definitely paid a premium for the shifter, yet not the premium the 20k mile cars were going for.

To the OP: 5 years ago? You will need to do a major service on it right away, 5 years is pretty much the max you want to wait on those belts, so keep that in mind, you also want to make sure all the campaigns are complete. There are a lot of things that determine value of a car like that. 65k miles is not a deal breaker assuming the service history is good. The paintwork would be a negotiating point. Start at 55 with that info and then let them offer 60 to feel like they won.

5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    20k is not low mileage in the Ferrari world, at least not collector mileage. They like 15k and below, specifically 10k and below. You are right, a rising tide lifts up all boats but I don't think they're going up, they had their peak and are now coming down and settling. That's what my post was based on. If things were appreciating, I would have said snag it up asap.

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    If it needs paint work and needs to be serviced more than likely tires as well. Most likely fuel pumps are on the way out, engine mounts and transmission mounts . The heat exchanger normally needs to be replace every 30000 miles. You can drop ten grand so fast it will make your head spin. Car like that may makes more seance for some one that knows those cars inside and out and can service it them self's. If I was too ever buy another 360 again, first thing would be to check the condition of the gear box oil . Wend those heat exchanger goes out and contaminate the gear oil most service shop does not do mutable flushes with ATF fluid to clean it all the way out or even change the F1 filter. I know I have replaced all this stuff my 360 only 20000 miles range do not forget most these cars 20 years old almost IMHO

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont think 65k is a bad deal at all. painting the mirrors shld be no big deal. 60K wld be better but if u like the car i say go for it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    All good points made in the above posts. For me I always determine what it is I want a car I buy to be for me. Is it a car I will drive and enjoy? Am I planning on keeping it for only 2 years, 5 years, or much longer? Occasional use or more? Will I keep it stock or modify it? Will it be a track car?

Values on the 6 speed stick cars may indeed go up over time. But I'm betting only the low mileage, excellent condition, unmodified (paint counts too) cars will be the ones that bring any kind of a ROI.
    Especially considering the changing perception of the next generation of buyers that have been raised on automatics and paddles.

Skidkid and Apollo 11 like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Argento cars and esp. Argento with a blue interior will ALWAYS be priced lower than a Rosso/tan Rosso/nero example.

If you don't mine the colors and will drive it.. I think $60 to 65 is a nice price. I wouldn't expect a Argento car to be an "investment" by any means.. When I was looking I was looking for an Argento/Nero manual car. I got a rosso/nero example. It all works out. They don't make manuals anymore.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    #10 Nachtfalter, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    That is a Euro gray market car. It cannot be registered in California. If you do not live in California, no big deal, just bear in mind that those cars are a little bit harder to sell. Make sure that someone that knows these cars drives it first and does a good prepurchase inspection. Those miles would not scare me at all. These cars are built well, robust, very reliable, and easy to work on.

To your main question, I doubt it will go up in value ever. It’s a clapped out door slammer, enjoy it for what it is. 60k tops.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Would define pull the trigger on that car. $65k is a screaming deal and the high miles are a blessing meaning somebody actually drove the car and these cars need to get driven. Ask anybody here hoe fussy their cats get when not driven. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it and if you don't like then sell it but I have a feeling that you will love it with no regrets.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  12. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Love the argento!

13. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    How do you definitively know that it is a gray market car?

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    They say buy the best one.
    Id like to modify that in saying buy the best one you can justify.
    If all you can justify is 65k then this is the car.
    If you can afford more get a newer less mile car.

15. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I don’t, the Autotrader add says Euro vin. Someone could have bought the car themselves in Europe and moved to a state where it doesn’t matter. Most Euro vin cars are gray market, but not all.
    Either way, you need a BAR sticker to register it in California. Or you could take your chances with a Montana Lic. plate, many do.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JoeTSI likes this.