Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks. I was planning on Kline 200 cell, which shouldn’t cause CEL issues?

Spent more time in the 812 today. My assessment is X pipe provides earlier and better F1 style sound from 4K onwards instead of say 6K onward without it. Definitely higher pitch at upper RPM range and fuller body sound.

Big cons are (not really in order)

1) Volume
    2) Loss of beautiful lower end fullness
    3) Lose the brutal up and downshift sounds

I’m wondering if adding sport cats fixes all 3 or if I’m better off adding sport cats and going back to H pipe. I’m going to attempt to see it I can try it both ways in a few weeks when cats come in, but if anyone has tried this and can tell me if I’d be wasting my time please let me know.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I just don't know about the rest of your questions, but with prior model Ferraris, CEL warning seems to come on when you move to less than 200 cells. Please keep us updated on your adventure!

3. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks- I’ll post back in a few weeks once I’ve tested some new things out.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    I think by adding the cats you will be satisfied. The X-pipe does add a higher pitch, and once the cats are added you will get the volume you are looking for. It's also very hard to gauge what is the best option for any particular person as volume is very subjective.

Here is our Lusso with Novitec X pipe, Valved Exhaust, and Catless pipes for reference

5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Drove my 812 again today after having the Novitec back boxes and x pipe fitted. I’m now convinced it sounds quieter than stock. Very odd. It is more linear in sound (valves don’t open) but overall more subdued

makes me wonder that exactly I spent £6k on....

wrs likes this.
  6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Getting 100 sports cats in Jan. Hopefully that will help

but my word of advice to anyone considering just doing the Novitec back boxes... not worth the money, to my mind

Netpark and Benzov12 like this.
  7. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Interesting. I initially did just capristo valved exhaust and found it to be a nice improvement. The x pipe killed the sound for me. I’m having it removed in the meantime while I wait for Kline 200 cell cats.

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Kline 200 cell cats and full exhaust on my Lusso. Threw a CEL but O2 spacers solved the issue. Very happy with the cats and exhaust. CEL was frustrating to deal with but resolved. From my research it’s either 200 cell or stock. 100 won’t do much

Regardless I would put spacers in and if I had to do it over the spacers would have their own cats. I’ve had some on and off CELs even with the spacers but nothing major

It’s always the 0420 and 30 codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks- can you clarify what you mean about cats for the spacers? Do you mean extra set of cats? Do you have a link to the parts?

10. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There’s 2 types of spacers. One of them is basically metal pipe that the sensors attach to. Extending where they normally are. The other is a spacer with a small cat attached to the end....Kline sent me a set but here’s the basic premise....my look almost identical.....in my experience putting these in is a no brainer. They’re inexpensive and everything is apart anyways...the spacers with no cats have worked but not perfectly.....still a CEL from time to time but not enough for me to spend another $1200 to put the new ones on....

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-90-degree-o2-spacers-with-catalytic-converters-pair/?cmp_id=8405827889&adg_id=91477128371&keyword=&device=m&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&hsa_kw=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_grp=91477128371&hsa_cam=8405827889&hsa_acc=6443713113&hsa_tgt=pla-457817953584&hsa_ver=3&hsa_ad=403506087801&hsa_mt=&hsa_src=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAovfvBRCRARIsADEmbRKP7-rV_hbW0ddgeZcTR0CAwm_yl7x59oayeqrqp5db7Ki2g1pTuxYaAkU1EALw_wcB

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Got it, thanks. Ill get ones that look like that from Kline.

12. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    #37 lanpa8, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    I have same setup on my 812 capristo valved exhaust with X pipe below is sound clip. Im glad I kept the stock cats because its just perfect the way it is...not obnoxiously loud like my friends F12 Enlargo with full novitec setup. My setup sounds just like stock but 50% louder and not raspy like other brands. Luckily no drone but I feel any louder there will be drone

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3OZZ41Jigq/?igshid=1k5jzw8o0p27b

Foxmod likes this.
  13. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Does anyone know affirmatively if an 812 with 200 cell cats still passes emissions in California?

14. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Lusso louder than FF?

15. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

Given J34's comments on X-Pipe (his cons below), I was wondering if you have the X pipe on your Lusso?

1) Volume
    2) Loss of beautiful lower end fullness
    3) Lose the brutal up and downshift sounds

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Interesting comments about an x pipe potentially reducing volume and having negative impact on downshift noise. I did some searching around and virtually all of the major exhaust manufacturers (IPE, Novitec, Capristo etc) use an x pipe as part of their recommended/full systems. Obviously these companies are trying to sell us as many expensive parts as possible... but I still think if the x pipe added nothing or was a detriment then they wouldn’t recommend it... Thoughts?

17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Quick question - has anyone taken their 812 with sports cats and an aftermarket exhaust to a track day in the UK at one of the main circuits (Silverstone, Goodwood etc)?? I am planning to do that this year and wondering if it will fail the noise tests. Each track has slightly different static and drive by limits.

Any experience with that??

18. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Picked up my 812 today after the 100 cell sports cats were added (previously had x pipe and Novitec rear boxes)... wow wow wow. The car screams at high revs! Would recommend to anyone (although the cold starts are brutally loud)

Had a crazy experience after picking it up from the workshop: drove 5 mins down the road and a lot of smoke starts billowing out from under the hood. I was convinced the engine had caught fire and the whole car was about to go up in flames!

Called my mechanic and he said don’t worry it’s normal, just some material burning off the first time it’s used! They could have told me that!

Carlos@TAG likes this.
  19. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    Glad you stuck it out and kept the X-pipe in there! The cats definitely make all the difference in volume.

The V12 sound is amazing!

20. Dboesch

Dboesch Rookie

May 11, 2013
    Just received the Novitec straight pipes, X pipe, and sport exhaust. Installation next week. Keep ya posted

21. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    Don,

You're going to love it, let me know if there is anything you need from me once installed.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Capristo boxes usually adds volume by themselves, as an "open" Capristo box is often pretty much a straight shot through the box. Not sure about the ins and outs of the Novi boxes. Each company has their recipe and way of doing things, and I'd be inclined to think Novi is tuning their boxes for a full setup. Capristo has always done things in stages, so they create components that can work well as stand-alone, as well as complete systems. That's one of the many reasons I like Capristo.

As for your X-Pipe. Yup, it does smooth out the sound quite a bit. Whether this is good or bad, is purely subjective. I like that the car can get a more unique sound, without adding vume for those who needs to keep the volume down. From what I've heard, the cats will bring back some of the lows and increase volume significantly. Try both, because once you get into sportscats you may also get some drone, so don't discount that X-Pipe just yet.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You could consider the Forza controller. It has a full closed option that will keep the cold starts quiet if needed be.

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
  25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    My car isn’t due an MoT (UK annual test) but i took it in anyway after my exhaust works were completed (812 with Novitec rear boxes, x pipe and 100 cell sports cats), just to see if I’d have trouble when the test due

They measured the emissions and said it was fine and also the noise wasn’t a problem! I was pleasantly surprised, given that high flow cats obviously filter less. Plus, the car is far king loud... :)