Magneti Marelli GS0272 hood struts work perfectly for 612 | FerrariChat

Magneti Marelli GS0272 hood struts work perfectly for 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Always Irreverent Megan, Jan 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Mae
    Looking for a less expensive way to replace the failing hood struts on my 612, I stumbled across these on ebay. They are for an Alfa Romeo 164 apparently. Manufactured by Magneti Marelli, they are only $21 plus $10 shipping for a pair. Installed them tonight. Perfect fit. And now my hood stays up!

Here's a link to the person selling these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-MM-Tailgate-Trunk-Gas-Shock-2x-Struts-Fits-ALFA-ROMEO-164-Sedan-60591762/122536768448?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ZASKAR, brogenville, Caphill and 2 others like this.
  2. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    How did you know they would fit? I didn't see the length of them in the ad. Do the hoods for both cars weigh the same or was it not of concern? Thanks for your reply.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Good job! Be worth adding to the thread on alternative part listings. I’ve a few things to add to that too when I get a chance.

4. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Mae
    I measured the struts that came with the car and noted that they said 500N on the side. Short for 500 Newtons, I'm assuming. I poured through the online Magneti Marelli catalog to find a strut that was approximately the same length and strength. These are almost exactly the same length and, at 480N, just 20 Newtons shy. So I bought them and they fit perfectly--and hold the hood up with good authority. :) When the hood is closed, there's still about an inch of travel available, too, so they aren't bottoming out or anything.

C4YES likes this.
  5. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Mae
    I will look up that alternative part thread and see if I can add these to it. At $31 shipped, these are a steal! :)

6. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Mae
    Also note that the "worn out" hood struts work great to then replace your tired trunk struts. And be sure to unthread the plastic ends off of the two tired trunk struts (before you toss them) to keep as spares. You never know when one of those plastic bits on one of your good struts is going to break. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Megan thank you, good work. I am always impressed with the ingenuity of the folks on this site. Always some interesting information well worth my time spent here. I have set up a digital file of various tips and information I have collected here for my 612. I have found with my memory and even with searches it is difficult to find the info when I need it.

8. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    It’s fall 2020 and that eBay address still works. I ordered the “Alfa” struts from it today and received a quick reply and subsequently a shipping confirmation. Going on my OTO as mine have given up the gas... Also unable to see specs As was noted here, but trusting that you found them to work well. I will confirm receipt and fit when they arrive. Obviously coming from outside the US, but not sure where.

brogenville and Nospinzone like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keep us updated.

10. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    Well Gentlemen, as noted, I blindly sent my $30 to Latvia via EBay thinking that the worst that could happen is getting some Ill fitting parts or none at all some time in December due to Covid, etc.etc.etc.
    But then all treats, no tricks for me as 4 days later they suddenly arrived . Couldn’t believe it and had it not been clearly labeled as being from Latvia, I would have thought it was something else.
    No drama, no problems, walked into the garage, opened the hood, pulled the old ones off, clicked the new ones in place and the hood stayed open all by itself. Closed the hood, opened the hood, and everything was completely correct and operating perfectly. Obviously I can highly recommend these struts and this vendor. I couldn’t get parts from Los Angeles this quick. At this price, my fellow 612 owners might want to just buy a pair for the approach of the inevitable strut failure as our cars reach that Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login 11-15 year old stage where these start to lose their charge.

350MH83, MRY, 599_GTO and 2 others like this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Any thoughts about the trunk struts? I believe the OEM struts are Stabilus Lift-o-Mat part number 9535YY 0210N 211/08EE02. I can find Stabilus at their website www.stabilus.com but in the US they only sell wholesalers and I can't seem to find any retailers in the US. Also their sight doesn't seem to have that part number when I do a search for it.

Makuono likes this.
  12. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    For the 599, they are really cheap ($70). I think I bought from Riambi(?)

randkin likes this.
  13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thanks, I’ll check them out.

14. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    February 2021 and the link still working. Just a follow up on this and a big thanks to the OP - I too took a punt on these, I think 20- quid ish sterling from ebay Latvia and they arrived yesterday via UK to me here in Doha.

Perfect fit and yes I took the additional advice above and the old worn bonnet/hood struts I removed I then swapped with my worn out boot/trunk struts and amazingly they work like new too!

Bloody excellent result - thanks again OP.

Feels like a new car....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Latvia is in NATO now, so not like the olden days when she was part of the USSR.

16. ZASKAR

ZASKAR Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    SPAIN
    Full Name:
    Sergio
    GREAT JOB!!!!

I just ordered one kit for my 612.

17. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I check today. Out of stock. I will check back occasionally to see if they come back in. My hood is OK but my trunk only open partially and then closes.

18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They have these back in stock on eBay and my pair just arrived. My intention was to put them on the hood and use the the current hood ones for the trunk. Problem is that my current hood ones are about 3/4" longer than these new ones and my current trunk struts are about 3/4" shorter. I'm sure that these would work fine on the hood, but my current hood ones are too long to fit the trunk. I will be putting these on the trunk as those were the ones that failed. I am just hoping that the force required isn't too much for the trunk.