355 - Battery (again) | FerrariChat

355 Battery (again)

Discussion in '348/355' started by [email protected], Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott@mogc-kec.com

Feb 25, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    E Scott Kimbrough
    Sorry guys, another battery question for my 355 F1 spider. I want a sealed battery an I have been looking. I am getting mixed answers of whether the optima 27F yellow top will work in the car. Will it? And is there something better now? Thanks in advance for your help

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No idea about the Optima, except to say I've never had good luck with them. Always failed prematurely.

I put in a DEKA /Batteries Now 9A47 mine this summer ABC's it has been flawless, also wasd 8lbs less than what came out.

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Optima is horrible since they switched manufacturing to Mexico. I bought 4 at once for 4 cars and replaced 2 within a year or so. None lasted more than 3-4 years. Complete junk.

4. scott@mogc-kec.com

Feb 25, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    E Scott Kimbrough
    Thanks very much guys for your help. I am new to the Ferrari club.

5. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I am using a Walmart AGM battery H6 (on left) and Interstate 34R (right) but check if the terminals are correctly located for your cable lengths.. Positive terminal is closest to the camera. The Tabs on the bottom edge should work with the 355 tie downs. My experience with Optima was disappointing. The AGM tend to last longer and there is no acid to leak or overflow. Plus it was only $150 with core. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348, 86tr, 99 360 3pedal, 05 S-160 bobcat
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Red tops definitely suck from my experience with one leaking recently. But the yellow tops appear to be better. The OP would want a Group 34 yellow top if getting an Optima. Terminals will be in the wrong ends, but the cables are long enough to reach. A friend installed one in his 355 spider and used successfully for several years. But as others stated, an Interstate Group 34R AGM is probably a better investment. I used an Odyssey AGM in group 34R in my 355 spider, those are great too, but expensive by comparison.

7. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Get a Duralast battery from Autozone in the correct group size. The warranty is prorated for 6 years (i think) and if it fails prematurely (even if its your fault) they will prorate a discount on a brand new battery based on how much of your 6yr warranty remains. I have bought several of these for several cars and they are good batteries. You dont need AGM or whatever fancy BS is marketed these days. The battery will age all the same. They need to be maintained by keeping them charged. If dont take care of them then the life diminishes by quite a bit. The best battery is a new battery.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not true. AGM (in general) can last a couple years longer than a flooded battery. To "take care of them" in the case of a flooded battery, that means also checking the electrolyte level at least annually, and more often in some climates. That (as you know) is a huge pain in the rear on a 355, requiring a jack, wheel chock, and tools to remove the wheel and front of the wheel liner. Then you need a small mirror to actually see into the cells to check the level. AGM makes it truly "maintenance free". If you shop around an AGM may not cost you more than$60 to $70 more than a flooded battery. Combine the typical longer life and convenience of never having to worry about checking the electrolyte level makes it a no brainer purchase. BTW, I just checked on Consumer Reports and Duralast flooded batteries (in various sizes) only rated mid pack, but the Duralast AGM batteries were almost universally top rated. FWIW

308 GTB likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My experience with flooded batteries would be different. The last battery in my 308 went 15 years. Currently 7 years on the battery in my 355 since I got it. Who know how many before. 11 years on my truck battery. Never did a thing to them other than disconnect when the cars are in long term storage. All cars in New England so they experience hot/cold cycles.

10. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    AGM battery life is 3-5 and 6-8 if very well maintained.
    Sealed Load Acid is about 5 years. Either or works fine.
    Most batteries sold today are maintenance free type and there is no need to check the electrolyte.
    I would rather have a new battery every 6 years. I have had several Duralast Gold over the years and the prorated warranty made the choice worth it all day long.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ive had a red top Optima in my 612 for over 3 years now with no issue. I have a Bosch in the 355 for over 4 years with no issue. I keep both on a ctek tender most of the time.

I bought both at Pepboys, ordering online for the 25% discount. Neither cost me more than $150. For that price if I get 5+ years out of them, im happy.