How to sharpen drill bits? | FerrariChat

How to sharpen drill bits?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ak Jim, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Howdy, trying to tap the wide base of knowledge here on FChat. How do all of you sharpen dull drill bits? Looking for something that does a great job but is also pretty guaranteed. When my dad was a little younger (now mid 80's) he could use a simple bench grinder and hand hold the bit and literally sharpen it perfectly just using the basic tool rest built into the grinder. I unfortunately don't have his skills. Thx.

2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Jim, as with most things it is an acquired skill but can be learned. Google drill bit sharpeners and you will find various devices that will work. Good luck,Mike PS don't be afraid to try some freehand. You might surprise yourself!

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sharpening a drill was the first thing they taught us in VoTech. It's really easy to do once you get the hang of it. The bigger the size, the easier to tell if you're doing it right. There are countless YouTube videos about it. I have a Darex Drill Sharpener ($1000) that a friend gave me 30 years ago when he moved to Germany. I've only used it once because I can do as good a job freehand in half the time. Smaller than about 1/8" is getting difficult for me to see well enough to do a great job. Fortunately those bits are cheap to buy.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I use a Universal Grinder Sharpener Machine to also sharpen drill bits. Somewhat overkill for regular drill bits as one could buy 1,000 of them for the price of this machine, but if you use carbide tooling, this machine is excellent for repairing and sharpening carbide tools with a diamond wheel.

Sharpening drills with this machine is extremely simple, as long as you have the right collet or chuck. Just mount the bit in the machine, setup one edge for sharpening and then rotate the bit to the next edge. Typically, drill bits are two flutes so rotating 180 degrees lines up the next edge perfectly. I find it takes about two minutes to sharpen even the most dull bits with this tool.

Here's a link to one for sale as an example:

https://www.shars.com/universal-end-mill-cutter-drill-bit-grinder-sharpener

I have a Grizzly which is now discontinued.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    First couple of minutes in:

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’ve not done a lot of it, but...

Good tip in here for roughly setting angle...which winds up to be off 1° per side from what is stated in the second video, if I am thinking it correctly. 118° overall tip angle or 59° per side. The two nut method would give 120°

This will help too. The grooved rest would be ideal. He speaks more to rotating the bit while grinding. The video from Mitch shows him sweeping it up the stone. Not sure which is right.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Make sure the back of the angle is lower than cutting edge. It is called clearance.

8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    When a drill did get to hot, the metal softenes. Sharping that drill, when it is still hot, put it in water to cool of fast, so the metal get hard again.

Guido.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll have to practice using my bench grinder and depending on how that works then get a Drill Dr if necessary.

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Before you touch a drill to a regular bench grinder stone, go buy a diamond grinding wheel with a very high grit. The results will be far better than you can obtain with a standard wheel. As a side benefit, using a diamond wheel reduces the heat buildup on the bit and won't change the temper. I use an 800 grit and bought it for maybe $15 on eBay (Russian oddly).

Ak Jim likes this.
  11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    If you are going to learn on a bench grinder. Get the largest bit you can find. You will need to measure from the end to the outer edge of the cutting tip, both tips must be the same. (exactly the same or it walks and only cuts with one side). Next you need to carefully measure the length of both cutting edges, again they have to be exact. This keeps the point in the center, kinda important.
    I was taught by an outstanding engine machinist while I was learning to balance race engines. Drilling the crank counter weight was hard on drill bits. You can do this with small bits, it is just harder to do. The Drill Dr is worth every penny. No measuring, no setting the rake, and it will do split point bits.

EastMemphis and Ak Jim like this.