PS752 - Ukrainian Airliner crashes after departing Tehran. | FerrariChat

PS752 - Ukrainian Airliner crashes after departing Tehran.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Early reports are that it was on fire during flight, shortly after takeoff. Speculation/unconfirmed reports that it was shot down in error by Iranian defense systems.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ukrainian-flight-ps752-crashes-shortly-after-take-off-from-tehran/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    "technical failure".

Least convenient technical failure out there I'm sure.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I say that if it wasn't shot down by trigger-happy Iranian gunners, then it was likely a victim of a bomb on board, which considering the tensions between Ukraine and Russia would not be surprising. The video clearly shows an on-board fire as the plane descended.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We are unlikely to ever get a true picture of what happened. Hopefully the experts can get some useful information out of the photographs, but the Iranians are unlikely to cooperate with any agency with capability.

Rifledriver likes this.
  6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The 737-800 had a fatal crash rate of 0.06 per million flights. The odds of a technical issue causing a crash are almost unfathomably low. The fact that a crash would happen in a country that had its air defense on the highest alert they probably ever have been? And then that country isn't letting anyone look at the black box? Seems pretty obvious what happened to me.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If they were trying to get even for the airliner our navy shot down, a lot of foreigners sure paid the price.

8. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    As an Iranian, my understanding is that they don't want a US affiliate to look at the black box due to the recent events - from what I read apparently the country where the crash occurred decides what to do - that's from what I've read on this and I don't know if that's actually the protocol - just going by what the papers say. I came here to see what people with real experience think.

:rolleyes:

Best,
    Sammy

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    An aljazeera report stated most of the passengers were Iranian.

10. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    #11 Mckinney, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    According to CNN there were 82 Iranians and 63 Canadians with the balance from Sweden, Ukraine, Germany, UK and Afghanistan. I would think the Canadians would have a keen interest in this.

It seems highly implausible to me that the crash was due to technical failure. This is reinforced by the Iranian refusal to share the black boxes with Boeing. Normally the manufacturer provides technical assistance in crash investigations regardless of where the crash occurs or where the airline is based. Obviously this is in the interest of all commercial air travelers.

On the other hand, if it was a military act, surely it was a mistake? I don't think the Iranians purposely took down a commercial airliner.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Boeing????
    CVR and FDR don't go to Boeing, do they? Don't they go to an agency like NTSB or BEA....??? Why would they send them to Boeing?

12. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Not sure whether they would normally make them available to Boeing, but the Iranians have announced that they will not give them to either Boeing or "the Americans", presumably meaning NTSB.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    ABC news tonight showed pictures of the wreckage and stated that a number of the aircraft pieces had small holes scattered about the parts. This seems to imply foul play or trigger happy situation.

15. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #16 WilyB, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Indeed. (But it may still be consistent with an uncontained CFM-56 failure?)

The video shows a fire on-board with pieces flying off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That looks like part of the wing and I'd guess the projectiles that created the holes came from outside the plane rather than from the passenger area.

17. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    It's been said that the plane bounced a few times upon impact and that there were "rocky" areas along the impact path as well.

RIP to everyone on the plane.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    To me, it appears to be the lower surface of the inboard wing near the high speed aileron. Too far aft to be engine shrapnel of the engine on the same side but could be from the engine on the opposite side. The holes look more like engine debris than missile shrapnel, elongated and irregular. Just guessing.

BMW.SauberF1Team, Boomhauer and Tcar like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree with u but I just can’t explain why this flight in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Filled with Iranians...

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very unfortunate no matter who was in it.

I am very surprised that either the civilian aviation authority didn't close the skies to non military aircraft or that the antiaircraft sites were not made aware civilian aircraft were flying.

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    How that lesson wasn't learned after MH17 boggles the mind.