Successor Series? | FerrariChat

Successor Series?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by naparsei, Apr 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What happened with this series? It appears to be finished. Where are all the past participants racing their cars now?

2. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Couple of guys are running International GT series and others are running Factory challenge.

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Hello everyone. I want to bump this.

I am interested in Challenge Club Racing. And it is very hard to see what, if anything, is going on.

I am interested in purchasing a 458 Challenge car. To use in lapping and HPDE (high performance drivers ed for those that don't know).

If this is all that I can do, that's just a plain shame.

I know that I will not be racing a GT or involved in factory racing.

So what will become of us? The commoner Ferrari racing gentleman.

Your reply is appreciated.

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    it takes about $500k a year to keep the series going. The main sponsor Johnathan H. just got tired of sponsoring it. We could easily acquire the track time and the insurance. The series just needs a sponsor and some coordination. It was a great group. Lots of fun.

5. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I am currently running HSR. Just ran the 12 hour classic at Sebring. The only complaint I have are the stock cars in my class.
    Jim Pace needs to remove them from our class.

A 458 got totaled this year in practice. Driver was run off the track by a stock car into 7 and the 458 flew off the track and landed over the Armco railing. Flipped nose to tail 4 times.
    I got hit by a LMPC car at night on a full course caution. I’m not sure what he was thinking. They did remove the driver.

Last year a 360 challenge car was totaled from the rear by a DP car. No action taken.

Road Atlanta my team mate got hit by a Stock car inside turn 11 and totaled his Ford GT AMLS. No action taken.

I am not very happy with the quality of the driving in HSR. The stock cars have to GO into their own class and not mix with GT cars.

7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The only time I've seen the stockers run it's been with themselves. I hope what you are saying about HSR is the exception and not the rule. They seem to run some huge combined run groups with a high HP discrepancy, is that your experience? Maybe this is true on tracks like Sebring and Daytona? I will be testing the waters in HSR this year in addition to SVRA. I had heard good things about HSR, but your post has me reconsidering what I'd been told.

Manda racing likes this.
  8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    The stock cars are a real problem in the GT class at HSR. SVRA doesn't allow them in the same class. We have a spotter for the Le Mans prototype cars. I highly recommend a spotter for faster traffic. At night we run LED colored lights on the cars. HSR has been a struggle. I like the format. It's impossible to get around the stock cars. These cars are 900 HP. They can't see anything and the drivers take up the entire track. One tap from a stock car in a Ferrari and you are going for a ride into the wall.
    The 458 at Sebring was going 130 MPH and it went air-borne ( I saw the video). The 458 is a very safe car. The driver walked away.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Geez gator! Vintage sounds worse than SCCA. I think our advantage is we don't wad up real expensive cars. I got about 70k into my mustang GT and if it gets totaled there are plenty of donors and motors are $10k. I really wanted to race Ferraris again but fenders were just ...Expensive! Minor Ferrari damage costs as much as a whole new mustang or corvette racecar. Your ex-355C is being well taken care of by a friend of mine. It is cool to see it back out on the track.

10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    My old 355 was a beast! I dyno'd the car at 483 HP. The only issue was getting air into the engine. The side inlets could not suck enough air into the engine. The light weight flywheel was amazing. It was snapping driveshaft in half. Fun car.

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Does anyone want to invest $500k a year for an all Ferrari racing series? It’s not all at once.

Hello??

12. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    Anyone planning on entering their retired challenge car is any events up here in the northeast in 2020? Maybe Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, NJMP with HSR, SVRA, NASA or SCCA?

I picked up my challenge car right after the CCR ended. Now looking to try my hand at racing somewhere.

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Some cars can be raced/track at Ferrari Challenge events. There is a class within Clienti Competizione. I have not done this, and I am not sure if ex-Challenge cars are eligible; I know that GT2/3/GTE/Grand Am cars are.

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Holy cow Gregg how you been?! I'll never forget your first track days at Roebling and us hauling ass back to HHI in our Challenge cars on 95. Fun times and memories. To add insult to injury stock cars can be relatively cheap if they wad one up no problem just reload. Geez.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.