FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    See my post 3 in the link provided. Have them assess that before concluding its ptu failure

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Also have you lost any gears? If not I wld try charging the battery. Never leave an ff off of the tender. If you replaced the battery and didn’t fully charge it you cld get those messages

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    My 2015 FF with 22.5k miles had the same issue on December 23rd. Put it on a flatbed to the dealer and it was determined it had the PTU failure as well. New part came in and they are working on it now. Expect to get it back early next week.

Very glad I got the new powertrain warranty which is covering the repair.

SAFE4NOW, ScottS and of2worlds like this.
  5. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    How much was the repair, if you don't mind me asking?

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    “Free”. PTU is covered under the Powertrain warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW and of2worlds like this.
  7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Ballpark 8-12k.

Depends on where and what else needs to be done or is done while the thing is worked on.

Mine was covered as well. You know warranty work is well impressively listed on the service paperwork.

Has anyone had the repair at an independent?

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Every time I turn around, I see a new thread about the PTU...I've lost count on how many threads there are on the PTU issue.

I really would like to know if the causes of all these failures are all the same.

andyrichter likes this.
  9. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And the other question is, once it's repaired, has it happened again??

andyrichter and otakki like this.
  10. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've been trying to track the PTU failures and so far have seen 13 posts of folks who have had a PTU failure. None has had a repeat issue. If I'm missing any let me know and I'll update it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Considering there are roughly 3-4000 FF/Lusso V12s out there this is a very small percentage of the cars. Hard to say how likely someone who has a failure is to come post about it though.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think some on that list also turned out to be false alarms right?

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Brian (Motob) once gave us the stats from Ferrari SF where they saw 4 PTU failures in 2 years out of a customer pool of 40 cars.

So, based on this experience, we can conclude that the annual failure rate is 5%. Therefore I expect that the 13 incidents listed by Jaguar36 are under-reporting the ‘problem’.

Assuming 4,000 V12 Lusso/FF have been produced, you’d expect 200 failures a year globally if the 5% failure rate is correct - maybe it isn’t.

In this context, it’s surprising how the 13 reported problems on FChat seem to create an impression that the PTU is always failing...

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for posting that chart, very informative.

As to your question about how likely someone with a failure will post here, I think it is extremely likely. My experience in several car specific forums is some people who are not car people only join a forum to post about a problem they are having and ask for advice. After it is resolved, they disappear never to be heard from again. Your chart seems to bear this out.

I don't have a problem with these one time posters. I understand some people are just not car enthusiasts, but I hate when regulars help out these people and then they don't even have the courtesy to come back and thank the regulars for their help.

14. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    My PTU just started leaking oil. Mine is a 2016 FF with 16k miles. It leaks a lot of oil. I’m considering in bypassing the PTU to convert into RWD. I took the whole front end apart to access the PTU. I’m trying to contact advant gard exotics to see how the successfully converted the black FF into RWD without issues and error lights on the dash. Any suggestions??

15. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Do you know what hose?

16. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I just received my FF back today. I was told it would have been around $18k for the repair if I didn't have the warranty. Hopefully no more problems that require going to the dealership. Its a great car overall :)

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    18k for new ptu - that’s a bargain vs 40k

otakki, Natkingcolebasket69 and vraa like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Great research!

richierobs likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    These posts steered me away from the ff sadly. Maybe it shouldn’t but did. Now a Lusso I Hope is better.

21. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    From my understanding it is quite a bit of work. They have to take it apart,
    I wouldn't let it hold you back from getting an FF. I had to same thoughts before I got my FF (2 months ago). I made sure to get the new power warranty to cover it. My dealer said they have not had anyone with a PTU failure come back a second time, so anticipate that the major failure point is out of the way now.

Good luck with whichever you get!

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    For the record: I know ONE car here in Sweden that has the PTU replaced twice - I do not know anything more than that though, so it may not be related to the kind of issues above.

23. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Add me to the list of PTU failures at 34k miles on my 2012 FF. I had it towed down to dealer just before Christmas. It was returned to my house last week while I was in Antarctica. My son took it out two days and car shut down saying over-heated catalytic converters. Car was towed back to dealer yesterday. Glad
    My extended warranty picked up the $15k PTU

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    A question, are the replacing the PTU or actually fixing it? The initial posts on the topic suggested a swap but the recent posts make it seem like they can now fix the problem. A situation very similar to the DCT failures in the early cars.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Wow sorry to hear that! I’m glad I have a warranty too!