Steering wheel questions | FerrariChat

Steering wheel questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    like many, I am not a fan of the 355 4 spoke air bag steering wheel and am trying to retro fit another wheel. I have yet to take everything apart so I am not sure of the basic components. also cannot find any steering section in the 3 WSM volumes I have; is there a separate steering manual?

from this picture, it appears the clock spring, part # 169471, contains the center spline that attaches to the column, and the horn ring? my experience, is that on other cars the spline is part of the steering wheel, and the clock spring is "stacked" on top of that center spline.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

if that is correct, it would seem pretty simple and easy to bolt this up to a different wheel?

this wheel pic shows 4 allen cap head bolts attaching the clock spring to the wheel

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, the part that holds the clock spring has the splines and the wheel just bolts on with the 4 bolts. They make adapters to put on the older MOMO, no air bag, style 6 bolt wheels like 348 had or something like a 360 wheel will bolt right on including the airbag plugs right in and is much less bulky.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    wow....seems too easy...great news

BUT, where is the steering section in the WSM.....????

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    One of life's mysteries.

The only things I've found are the steering column and rack in the parts manual, a few snippets of airbag fitment information and some very vague wiring diagrams.

6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^one of the worst WSM of any car I have ever owned.

7. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    #7 Carmellini, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    correct me if i am wrong, but it appears that the clock spring attaches via 3 phillips screws to a splined hub? and that hub is secured to the wheel with those 4 bolts? (this would make more sense)

would really like to see some pics of each component for clarity...thanks. (of course all of this will be revealed when I get into the project, but I was hoping to have some basic knowledge prior

is this the splined hub without the clock spring: