F1 Clutch Job | Page 15 | FerrariChat

F1 Clutch Job

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I can’t answer the first two questions as I’ve never tried it but I think the hardware is quite different so I’d be surprised if it works.

You can roll back to v10.25 on the on-line update feature and it takes about 10 seconds.

2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The re-flashed CS TCU is, in essence, just a CS TCU. So x431 does communicate with this TCU, but only functions in its entirety when accessing through the f430 menu.

Kevin

3. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Not sure if you read that correctly or I read it wrong, it would be a 360 Modena tcu reflashed with a cs tcu file from eric355. Would it then communicate under the 430 menu with it then or would it still have issues since it's still a standard 360 unit or would I have to find a used 360 cs tcu?

4. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, you read correctly. Several others have posted, in this thread I believe, regarding interrogating the flashed CS TCU using this software, under the f430 menu.

Kevin

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, it will work with a reflashed TCU, no problem.

6. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Eric,

Thanks for confirming this.

7. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Has anyone been successful at measuring exhaust cam variator timing on a 360 with the x431 with any version?

8. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can also confirm that the decimals now function for setting PIS using the x431 newest software. The CCP still cannot be set using decimals, though. I am accessing and setting my CS TCU using the 430 menus.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G900P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Is there a procedure for reliably writing the PIS using x431 v10.80?
    The flash screen says....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I changed mine tonight and I’ve only ever read it before.
    Using the read function I got...4.61

When I tried to write it, it would not accept a character after the decimal point on the key entry screen.
    I tried several times including turning the car off and again. I don’t know what I actually did but one time it accepted 4.8 and wrote it to the TCU.

The clutch was dragging when super hot. Adding the 0.2 seems to have sorted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpep likes this.
  10. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I was able to adjust PIS from 4.5 to 4.4. Read 0 rpm on gearbox and felt no drag in first and for off the brakes. X3 pro is pretty sweet for the money.

Clutch west index is 1570 and the car shifts fantastically but still has a little rpm spike when up shifting during hard acceleration of 300-400 rpm when over 7500rpm

I still am not sure if I’m reading clutch wear right. Am I correct that closed clutch position new is about 19.8mm? Mine is 22.3mm closed. It shows the same value for “new closed position” so I wonder if the last tech that read it reset it accidentally?

If 19.8 is standard then my clutch has worn through 3.5mm which is 62% of original 5.6 clutch pad width?

11. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    If the values are correct then your about 40% worn. The clutch release bearing moves about 8.5mm from new to wear limit.

It’s a very big if though......My CCN value was just under 16. If it’s been fiddled with the only way you’ll know it’s right is when a new clutch goes in.
    The wear index is a long way from 3000 also.

12. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Your number coincides more with the PPI that came with the car. They measured roughly 45% wear. The wear index being low is good from my understanding. Lower than 4000 is good and higher than 4000 is reading the clutch disc surface is losing its bite?

13. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Also, a question on proper PIS adjustment.

*On a warm car*

1. Record current PIS setting
    2. Lower PIS by 0.1mm
    3. Confirm "Gearbox angular speed" = 0 (No contact between flywheel and clutch)
    4. Repeat previous steps until resulting PIS causes clutch/flywheel contact and gearbox revolutions.
    5. Return to PIS prior to clutch/flywheel contact.

Is it this simple or are there additional nuances to the process?

My gut instinct tells me as the setting approaches contact with the clutch and flywheel there will be drivability concerns when accelerating from a dead stop?

Should Clutch Wear Index be reset after significant changes to PIS or only after a new clutch install? This number is adaptive so it makes more sense to leave it alone.

14. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I’ve calculated it as per something Voicey wrote on his blog a few years back but cross-checked it with the SD2 readings and it’s very close (Current - New/8.5). The SD2 will just use the same parameters to calc the wear in the software.
    If the car drives well at a wear index of 1850 I wouldn’t reset it. As you say it is one of the adaptive parameters so will integrate back anyway.

Set the PIS on driveability. I increased mine from the setting it had been on since TCU install (4.6) as I was getting occasional drag when very hot. It smoothed the changes a lot in normal driving but there was too much flare between the gears when cold and pushing on. When I went below the initial setting it was too harsh, so currently I’m back at 4.6.

15. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks for the info.

16. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    If you were using the sd2 system would this happen to be on a early 360 tcu? I thought those PIS settings could not be altered except by the tcu itself? Or did you mean SD3?

17. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    SD2 is still OK for the 360 and it’s what my tech uses.
    I have a number if print outs from when the clutch was changed plus the clutch readings when it’s been in for service.
    My car has a 2016 CS TCU bought from Ferrari. It use the 231 hardware as per the early 430.
    I’ve had the car out earlier and taken some reading. I’ll post the pics later.

18. TyStephens

TyStephens Rookie

Jan 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ty Stephens
    For the life of me I cannot find a way to PM you :( Maybe my account is to new?

19. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Hover your mouse on your Avatar at the upper right hand, select "Conversations", then at the upper top right, select "Start a new conversation"

20. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    He may still be banned and if so may be why he can’t accept messages. I believe he was banned because he was offering goods/services without a paid subscription. It is my understanding he has now paid for his subscription here.

Question for the mods... is he still banned? The only reason I ask is because the software does work extremely well and it is a savior to guys like me who work on their own car but won’t throw $10k away just to have diagnostic software.

21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  22. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    If your referring to me I already have it. Works great. You can buy just the software for $330 and a Amazon FireHD8 for $42 and your in business.

23. mechanicservice6

BANNED

Feb 13, 2017
    I do not know why I have never been banned that I know of but you can contact me at [email protected]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, I was referring to TyStephens. And you also need the FOB, right?

Kevin

25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Mechanicservice6,
    I sent you a PM. Let me know if you get it.