Maybe I've been cheated with my ferrari 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maybe I've been cheated with my ferrari 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Philip Jensen, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The question you should be asking yourself now is this: Do you actually like the car? Is it fun to drive? Has the mileage, condition or service records changed now that you know it a few years older than you thought?

The difference between a 2002 and 2004 Modena (there are no 2005 Modena's) are so insignificant as to be ignored. I suggest you turn that frown upside down and go for a long, spirited drive.

BigTex and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  2. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    I agree he could absolutely go enjoy the car, but a dealer sold him a car advertised as an '05, so assuming it's a reputable dealer there should be some recourse.

PTG1 likes this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm not so sure how things work in Denmark, assuming the model years transfer the same, but here in the USA, there would absolutely be communication and demands to the dealer...not necessarily because it makes a big difference in the experience of the car, but because I paid for something only to find out that I didn't get what I paid for. I would be raising hell and making t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶t̶s̶ promises to get some of my $$$ back.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    In the US, the VIN would tell you what year the car was. No ambiguity. In Europe, as has been discussed, the official year of the car is the first year it was registered, which in this case was 2005 so the dealer is off the hook. Very weird but it's their way of doing things.

anunakki and daytona355 like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In case you have not been reading different countries have different methods of assigning model year. So the dealer may have been 100% correct.

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    I read it, but may have misunderstood some of the finer points. I understand the dealer may have gone off the day the car was first registered, which through some sort of technicality allows them to call it an '05 model rather than an '02 (and maybe that is how they do it), but coming from our experience here in the US that still seems pretty shady to me.

I'm one who wouldn't really care and would enjoy the car assuming everything else checks out, but I would also prefer to know the year the car rolled off the production line, and would prefer it referred to as that model year. Minor, but still..

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It is no technicality, it is the law of their country. Its not the dealer making a choice, he is following long established law and protocol.

The US has an established way for the GOVERNMENT to establish model year of a car and other GOVERNMENTS have their own ways.

Quit conflating the two.

A car dealer here has no more authority to decide that on his own as a dealer over there does.

8. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Got it, I've reread it now and it's making more sense. I was initially under the impression the OP bought the car and later found out the car had been misrepresented by the dealer through a technicality (trying to sell it as newer than it really was) allowing them to call an '02 car an '05 (and effectively changing the value of the car).

I'll blame 3rd shift frazzled brains on this one :D

daytona355 likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    The subject car of this thread could've possibly been imported to and first time registered in its current location country at a later date (let's say in 2005), which might've influenced its currently indicated model year designation, etc ...

30 some years ago I was involved in international trade of mostly older/vintage cars and mainly between various European countries & U.S. and saw an amazing array of differences in protocol & regulations from one country to another. I'd imagine establishment of E.U. has affected changes to many of those regs, rules, etc...

daytona355 likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One of many reasons vintage Ferraris are generally referred to by number and not model year.

Some countries establish model year by when it was imported and some by date of first sale. If a dealer sits on a car for whatever reason its model year can differ from it legal year. The US has a very clear cut system that some others use but certainly not all.

11. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    In Germany the age of used cars is regularly promoted as "EZ 10/1997"
    EZ meaning Erstzulassung: "first registered".
    It's very uncommon to show off the date the car was actually built - the dealers don't care about it.

MalcQV, Rifledriver and daytona355 like this.
  12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    in the case of my 612, the car was ordered, and then unsold by the dealer, and stored in a facility with various other cars, the dealer had issues, eventually lost its right to trade, and Maranello Concessionaires bought the business, including all assets unknown. My buddy, then the GM of a dealers, bought several cars and sold them, including the 612 to me in exchange for a 575M I had, and as well as that car, I bought a Grigio Alloy 360 coupe (not from the same dealer stock). The tyres and all papers for the 612 were 2004, but because I registered it 1st September 2006 on purchase, it was registered as new, 2006 model year. He did have the guys upgrade any bits that were necessary to ensure I didn’t miss out. It was a rare manual car, Grigio Alloy (matching the 360), and I sold eventually in 2010 to buy a Grigio silverstone 599 F1

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For me it would raise the question what happened to the car between its build date (2002) and the first registration (2005). Was it a dealer demonstrator, did it just sit somewhere etc etc.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Right. Fine that "over there" the car is defined by the year in which it was first registered. This exactly the bigger question in that how did an 02 spider go potentially 3 years without being sold and or registered.

15. Philip Jensen

Philip Jensen Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Philip Jensen
    New Update , ferrari Denmark wrote to me that they want to check the car because they mean it could be a cloned car.
    So next week i Will go with the car to ferrari.
    They Also tell me that is not normal a car Will stay with a dealer for 3 years.

I Will Update next week again .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LightGuy likes this.
  16. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Picture of OPs car
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Mikael-F360, PTG1, technom3 and 5 others like this.
  17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I wouldn’t if I were you then... don’t let them keep the car, you won’t see it again if it’s a Cloned rip off, your money will be gone and the dealership won’t take your calls. All sounds rather too much to me

willrace, LightGuy and EastMemphis like this.
  18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    #43 RedNeck, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Would you be willing to post pictures of the car and your evidence that causes you to question the legitimacy of the car? Lots of hawk-eyes on this site that would be able to help before turning it over to Ferrari.

Btw, I ran the VIN on a decoder website, it also comes up saying that it's a "2005", even though the build date is a few years earlier

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/ZFFYR51B000128216

daytona355 likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Philip,

When the dealer says cloned car, do you mean like the VINs were swapped with another car?

Kind regards.

20. Philip Jensen

Philip Jensen Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Philip Jensen
    Yes it looks like were swapped

21. Philip Jensen

Philip Jensen Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Philip Jensen
    I will post some pictures asap - then i can show what i see that might be wrong with this car.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sorry to hear about your troubles, I don't know what the laws are in your country, but here in the States if a dealer sells a 'cloned' car, they are liable and will have to take the car back.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dare I say it, something is rotten in the state of Denmark! :)

Apollo 11, LightGuy, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  24. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    what's the status on the color change from blue that the op mentions?

25. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What did Artie Johnson used to say? Verrry interesting?!