Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #651 TheMayor, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    I have an LE. Number 400.

The LE's had all the bells and whistles on them. I haven't found any quirks in 10K miles and 4 years of driving.

The only thing is the Parrot radio but you can swap it out. I still have mine. I'm assuming the Panasonic in the later models is better but is it really great? I doubt it.

You can tell an LE easily by the aero cuts in the front fenders. LE's had CF mirrors, a CF rear wing, dark gray wheels, and alcantara interiors (which I have really grown to appreciate).

IMO, LE's will have a higher resale value because they are numbered and were the most optioned cars of the bunch.

Coupes are getting harder and harder to find as dealers starting getting a lot more targa's in the second year to sell. IMO, the coupe is the best looking and I can't stand targa's, especially soft top ones.

pchop and PureMichigan like this.
  2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the advice.

Something fairly remarkable happened, here the local importer seemingly got "stuck" with around 30 4c's which I then apparently sold at cost price, with fresh 3 year warranties. In essence I can get a 2019 brand new coupe for the price of a 2015 Launch Edition. What I did realise doing some searching is, as you say the LE are better optioned and might hold better value over time but with this radical price cut I think the used market in SA for 4c's has essentially be ruined.

I agree with you, not a fan of the spider, especially the rood, if they had done a La Ferrari like solid targa panel it would make a bit more sense.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Just to confirm, those 30 they're "stuck" with are right hand drive, right? I'm asking because here in the US a Texas dealer was shut down and most of their cars had been sitting in the hot sun for a few years with some leather and paint damage. Now those cars have been spread out to a few US dealers at major discounts but maybe some made it overseas.

4. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Fwiw, after 2015 Alfa switched to Alpines not Panasonics

Regardless, you're right. It's not that great - though considered an improvement over the Parrot. But even if it were an excellent system, it's a loud car and the acoustics wouldn't be suited for a high end system. I have my Alpine synched to my phone, which is nice. But the car is so loud that it's very tough to take a call unless I'm parked (I have a spider/targa).

5. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Does your spider have the racing exhaust? I had a coupe and sold it and I want another 4C as I've realized nothing comes close to these cars in terms of fun. I had a Launch Edition and those all have the race exhaust. It was loud but not unbearable to me. Thinking of getting a a spider this time but not sure how loud it'll be with a race exhaust.

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    All RHD cars, quite how they ended up with so many in stock is probably due to being forced to take an allocation.

7. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    It does. It's loud, but not over the top. But I wouldn't want to make a habit of taking business calls with the spider. The canvas top muffles nothing. But it's not like that I can't listen to music. I can, but the noise is such that I wouldn't sweat the quality of the car's sound system.

I considered both the spider and the coupe. I went with the spider as I wanted an open top car as all but one of my other cars are coupes. It's a great car to drive with the roof off and windows down.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  8. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Ideally I'd drive one first but this one is all the way across the country.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    6 or so of the McKinney cars just popped up at the Essence Fort Worth dealer.
    As per usual an " informed geek" as myself knew more about the cars than they the dealer did.
    I noticed some small delamination of the clear coat on some of the CF exterior items but not the big patches of ghosting on the CF roofs like those in the Dallas store. Perhaps the roofs were re-clearcoated ? I doubt it.
    I worry about the long term damage of TX sun on the paint and CF with 2 years in the sun. Cars were built in 2017.

10. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #660 LightGuy, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    I just drove a spider with the Ackrapovic exhaust.... in anger ;)
    Unless I get a killer deal on a plain or sport exhaust the Akrapovic is an essential. Otherwise I'd eliminate the mufflers completely.
    The sound, even from a turbo 4, was fun but nothing like the scream from a 360 CS, 430 scud, V12 etc.
    3K option for a hand built factory titanium, valved sport exhaust ?!?!
    Are you kidding me ?
    Ferrari would charge 20 grand.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/product/20307/Alfa-Romeo/4C-4C-Spider/2017/Slip-On-Line-Titanium?brandId=95&modelId=894&yearId=4788

11. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have yet to come across an Akrapovic exhaust I think sounds good or even remotely close to the best.

The "race exhaust" or whatever they call it is no mufflers and my LC sounded good. I'm not a fan of turbo noises but inside the cabin you hear a bit more of the engine, at least up to 3k. From outside it's mostly turbo noises. The exhaust note is one of the weaker points on the 4C but in every other respect it blows my former 355 away. This little 4c is better than everything I've ever owned in terms of fun and driver involvement. Now if it had a high revving NA engine it would have been perfect.

12. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Yes, the race exhaust system has no mufflers. The car is fairly loud, even at idle. But not overly so and it doesn't bother me or my neighbors (or I just have really great neighbors).

I'm fine with the turbo, and because of the turbo it's super straightforward to tune for more power. Agreed that it'd be great if it revved higher and not that it really matters but . . . I wish the engine was more visually appealing. Remove the plastic engine cover and it's a rat's nest of hoses, tubes, wire harnesses etc. I can't seem to get past really liking aesthetically pleasing engine designs.

13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    My LC was fairly loud on startup until the idle went down to its normal RPM. Besides that it's not overly loud. I never really thought about the engine appearance but that's a good point.

14. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  15. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That's correct.

Robocop305 likes this.
  16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Just signed a purchase order for a 10k mile Rosso Competizione spider in California. Looks great, can't wait for delivery!

17. PureMichigan

PureMichigan Rookie

Jun 23, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats. Awesome car. I am quite serious that it has put a stop to me lusting after most exotics for now. The only car that I am still considering to add is a scud. Thankfully I am out of space.

The 4C is easily the most interesting, "exotic non-exotic" sports car of the last 15 years. It is massively underappreciated and I think mostly hurt by armchair car enthusiasts who want no-frills, lightweight, etc and then cry when they can't fit their big gulp or can't sit their fat a$$ on a 3 inch seat cushion and cruise with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding their latest iphone.

lashss, maha, Dragster and 2 others like this.
  18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My car actually came with a Novitec Stradale exhaust which also uses a valve to bypass the muffler (like the Akropovic), but has the outlets at the outside instead of the center. Only problem is that I don't have the fob to activate it. Seeing if Novitec will sell me a fob separately.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Installed the lift last week and can get my Tacoma back in its place now...

:)
    BT

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Christmas in February happened on Tuesday. I had found the original registration from 2016 in the trunk when cleaning the car. I sent a prepaid / pre-addressed padded envelope to the previous owner with a note asking if he had the remote fobs for the exhaust since the selling dealer did not find them, and they arrived in the mail Tuesday! As my brother said 'Just my luck!'

The sound goes from 86 dB with the silencer to 103 dB with the valve actuated. I like it!
    Thanks to the previous owner if he ever happens to read this thread!!!

:D
    BT

21. cstorry

cstorry Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chuck Storry
    Boomhauer, rdefabri, Makuono and 4 others like this.
  22. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I saw a 4C (heard it, first, approaching from behind me) as I drove through Atlanta last night. What a great looking car on the road! And distinctive sound! I will say one of the first things I thought was that it reminded me of what a modern Dino could/should be. I imagine you all are having a fun time with them!

BT and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am closing in on a spider hopefully deal will be done today. Then I get to take it apart, my goal is to only use the shell.

SVCalifornia and BT like this.
  24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    What are you going to do with the rest of the stuff?

25. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    #675 pchop, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020