Ferrari Progression.... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Progression....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Jan 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    That sad day is eventually coming, even though it is still a ways off.

I'll no longer be able to get in and out of my low-sitting, rear engine 458 (or 488, or Pista, or Tributo, wherever I end up).

My experience with the brand had been nothing short of outstanding, and I'm in great shape for my age (I cycle and hit the gym almost daily), but at 62, I realize that at some point, this won't be a realistic car for me.

So what do folks that still have that passion for Ferrari move on to?

anunakki likes this.
  2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Well it depends on your passion. Age certainly by in itself not a reason to end a passion. At age 62 got hit by a car in a parking lot as a pedestrian losing a leg etc. After 3 mo ICU did not have the strength to ambulate, bike,couldn't lift, & back problems etc. Didn't end my flying and had to adapt as use of Left rudder & braking were compromised. It didn't end my Ferrari enchantment. It did end my use of a clutch however, but I'm sure I could have figured out a way. Getting my pilots license back was an event I will never forget. Porsche Turbo or GT3 are nice cars, comfortable,exhilarating and easy entering & exiting. Now much older than you life is good, enjoy my 458, but reluctantly gave up flying after losing a # of friends to accidents. Years ago I met a Navy Seal Amputee shortly after my accident when I was at therapy for a prosthesis & he asked me what I did. I replied, "Nothing". He replied as a matter of fact, " well get off your F. Azz and get some living going". I went out and bought another Ferrari, & Started Flying again with instructor. Live your Passion as Life is Relatively Short!

3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Try the Lusso or 812both much easier to get in or out of and roomier inside. If your price range is lower the CaliT or Portofino and I assume the Roma which is based on the same car should fit the bill

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wthensler likes this.
  4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Definitely try to see if you can at least get into a front engine V12 Ferrari with comfort seats. They are a bit easier to get into and still have that Ferrari sportscar thrill!

sampelligrino and wthensler like this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    gzachary and wthensler like this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    You may need to give up the mid-engine layout but I agree with the above recommendations for front-engine models with electric seats. Speaking from experience, ingress/egress with Daytona electric seats in my California was easy. With the 458, Huracan and GT3 I go in sideways with my butt first then lift my legs over the door sill and side bolster so as not to wear down the bolster. With practice, it's become second nature but I'm a lot younger than you.

You should ping mrdrums, he's an AKA with a 488, PCA instructor and track rat.

sampelligrino and wthensler like this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am 63 and I can still get in and out of the 488 without any problems. I am flexible and in better shape than most my age though. However, the Portofino is way easier to get in and out of and is lot's of fun to drive. I have a 812 on order and it went to production status today, the dealer says expect it by late March or early April. That will also be easier to get in and out of than the 488 but supposedly it's also just as much fun to drive as the 488. I guess I will know in the next few months, I am looking forward to a new Ferrari experience.

wthensler likes this.
  8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Plus 1 on the Portofino. It is much easier to get in and out of compared to a 458/488/ Pista, F8, etc...

wrs and wthensler like this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Similar boat, albeit a few years younger. I have arthritis in my hips and shoulders. My Cali is much easier to get in and especially out of than my 911. The other consideration is how comfortable the seats are once you're in the car. In that case, I find Ferrari seats less comfy than Porsche seats once you get into rides lasting 2+ hours. My heat seaters are on constantly unless it's 90+ F. Ferrari heat seaters work great though.

This may be heretical, but the FUV is only a few years out. Hope they depreciate like an anvil, so I can pick one up to get me through my 60s!

T

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Why not a lusso?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota and wthensler like this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Purosangue

12. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I’m 67 and sure as hell hope I’m enjoying my mid engines super cars into my 70’s and 80’s. It’s not over till it’s over.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I find cars with the butterfly doors far easier to get in and out of in tight spaces. You may, as well.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    66 now and still tracking my fabulous 458 !

Indeed … as your Seal pal said: get off your f.... ass …. lol

Wait for the F SUV ….

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stavura, 355TDI, Graz and 5 others like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Look into classic car driving. Ingress and egress of the 250 GTE is excellent, and the cars are wonderful to experience. The front engined V12 cars with comfort seats work too I suppose. I will say that while the seats have a more normal height, the door opening is still a bit narrow, so for some, that might still pose a problem.

I dunno. I'm 39 and stll a few years away from being shipped off to the glue factory, and I still tell myself I will be dragged from the seat kicking and screaming when I'm deaf, blind and demented enough to not being able to spell my own name lol.

But hey, 62? My mother of 70 has zero issues enjoying both a 488 Spider and a Lusso. I think you will have many more good years left if you take care of yourself:)

Melvok and tomc like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. But tell me this. Ferrari makes a car that is so easy to live with, and with a seat height that also caters to the less able bodied etc. But who the hell was the genius whom though it would be clever to install doors that only open to what, a 40 degree angle? That is thd single most Italian thing about the Lusso, lol. It's not a Ferrari if it has not got some daft quirk built into it:D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hahah ! It’s a Ferrari ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn’t mean to imply that I’m in any way ready to give up the 458. I’m actually in great shape, biked 40 hard miles today!

Mom is 70 and putting around in a 488? Fantastic!! Pics?

Melvok and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I went from a 355 to a 360 to a...California. Cali is an amazing daily driver. Super comfy. Not too low.

A big part of the reason was one day i got out of the 360 and BAM my back went out. I was screwed up for weeks.

Several weeks later traded the 360 on the California

Melvok and wthensler like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No pics of that, the 488 is not hers. Come spring, I will have to get some when she drives it. Good idea as it could maybe inspire some of the FChat wives to get involved:)
    Putting around? She has more speeding tickets than my father. She's the type that will put along at a leisurely 140 kph in a 90 kph zone wondering why the world needs to be so slow lol.
    But I can get a few of her flogging a Lusso next week. It's winter here after all:D

Melvok and wthensler like this.
  21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    William,

Don’t dwell on aging. Just keep moving. They can’t hit a moving target. ;)

wthensler likes this.
  22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Ferrari SUV coming soon :)

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I am 74. Can still get in and out of 458 Spider. I go to cardiac rehab 3x a week. Lift weights and do my physical therapy exercises 3x a week. Sundays l take off and watch NFL.

The two Audis are easier to get in and out of. The 458 is very manageable. Keeps me motivated to keep up the exercises. You know what they say...use it or lose it.

My car has to be a convertible. One of the Audis is an S5 convertible. A great car. May need to try the 812 Spider if the 458 gets unmanageable. CIAO

Melvok, dustman and rob5819 like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yeah. Imagine going from a beautiful and nimble 488 to "that"... There must be a better way if it does become an issue.

25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Wife and I drove almost 400 miles yesterday, down to St. Pete and back. At the Festivals is Speeds spent a lot of time getting in and out. I really don’t feel too beat up this AM, as I sit on the tarmac on another delayed flight.

Summary:

Seat comfort - surprisingly good, heated seats help

Air Conditioning - LOL really?

Road Noise- not too bad, except near Tampa

Driving the Ferrari with the wife - LMFAO

Melvok, Clembo and tomc like this.