PS752 - Ukrainian Airliner crashes after departing Tehran. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

PS752 - Ukrainian Airliner crashes after departing Tehran.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hard to know how highly developed their air defense network is. If it is a bunch of stand alone missile launchers its very easy to understand. I would assume their individual radars have reasonable abilities though. Might have been some young Lieutenant who figured it would be better to explain away a smoking hole in the ground full of airliner parts than to let a Yanqui Pig get through his airspace.

2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I was referring more towards airlines flying in or through conflict areas. I can totally see how a plane could be shot down by accident. The USA is guilty of that as well.

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Apparently the plane was shot down by a Russian SA-15 system, which if set to "Automatic" will fire on it's own. The system will fire as long as it's turned on, and likely cannot distinguish civilian aircraft. The operators probably didn't really know how to work it properly.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In fairness no one but the Iranians knew what was up unless you are speaking in a more general term. If thats the case when is it safe to fly over that entire part of the globe? I have a simple rule, I don't travel to Mexico, Columbia, Nicaragua, or any Muslim country and I carry a gun whenever I am allowed.

It's worked pretty well so far.

NYC Fred likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats what happens when you can't read Russian and they didn't provide a multi lingual operators manual.

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    And Canadians

7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, but I think they were Iranian-Canadians.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I could understand the Iranians wanting to withhold the data recorders from Boeing or any American entity, but wouldn't Ukraine be entitled to them? After all, it was their aircraft.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, I was 50% wrong and 50% correct. It was shrapnel but from a missile and not an engine disc. What a mess!

11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The SA-15 has an IFF capability and should have been able to see what the airliner was squawking. If the crew was poorly trained, however, all bets are off. No telling what ROE they were operating under during that period of high alert, either.

SA-15 is a bad actor, even for fighters with ECM. A 737 has a radar cross-section of tens of meters, so would have really lit up their scopes, especially at low altitude.

If our highly trained US Navy operators can mistake an airliner for a fighter-bomber, easy to believe the Iranians could, too. We lost an F/A-18 to a Patriot battery in SWA, too. System set on automatic and the fighter did not have the correct squawk set. Patriot works on a points system for speed, ECM, squawk, and ground track. Get too many points and win two Patriots. Scariest part of Desert Storm to me was coming back across our lines after a mission.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So they failed to cause any injuries with tens of Ballistic missiles ,then somehow managed to accidently shoot down an innocent airliner killing 176 of mainly their own nationals?

Crazy

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    They were acting in self defense.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bad day for any of them to be buying lottery tickets.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    An act of self defense like that will land you in jail in any developed country I have heard of. Killing innocent people does not fit the description of self defense.

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That's what they actually claimed. Just pointing out the irony.

Also, the talking heads are giving Iran way too much credit as a fighting force, IMO.

Rifledriver likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It makes for more news and more viewers. And military interviewees on the news networks will always say the same. That's how you maintain and increase funding/budget to your military department. If they say there is no real threat out there then you can't justify a budget increase request.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Iranian TV just said it was shot down by mistake ...'human error'

21. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Yep. Their military is saying it was unintentional. They thought it was a hostile target turning toward a sensitive area. Also, they are saying they will prosecute those at fault and will work to make their systems better. That should make all of us feel warm and fuzzy.

22. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    ChipG likes this.
  24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Well, DJT makes his 'official' statements there, so.........must be the future......:D

25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    It's one of the fastest ways to get the word out but yea, I hear you :)

I'd never invest in Twitter and know both the founder and current CEO but am wondering how their stock has been since trump made it his PR platform