Intake Manifold Tuning Flaps | FerrariChat

Intake Manifold Tuning Flaps

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jasone, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Tech question.

My dealer is telling me that one of the intake tuning flaps is sticking. They claim it is throwing an error but nothing shows up on the dash. They car drives perfectly with no indication on the TFT.

They also say this part can't be ordered separate so I'll need to replace the entire planum for $10K.

Has any ever had this issue on their 458?

This is holding up delivery of my Speciale so any info would be great.

Thanks.

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Urgh. It is new to me, but I suspect that there is a performance effect that may be subtle. The tuning flaps are a device to manage the airflow at low and high RPM. If it sticks open you may get a reduction in low speed torque. If it sticks closed you will get a reduction in high RPM performance. If it is only one bank there will be an imbalance in air supply that may be detectable as a roughness. In any event, it needs to be addressed. I gather that you are in line to sell it for your Speciale and the dealer picked the problem up upon inspection (?). You may have to bite the bullet.

PS as it happens your line up of F-cars is identical to mine. Even the years are the same.

3. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    My Speciale will be at the dealer on Monday or Tuesday so trying to get all the details taken care of. This came up in the inspection and they want $10K to fix it before accepting my 458 as a trade-in. Seems a little fishy to me.. the dash usually alerts to anything.. tire pressure, license plate lite.. all kinds of stuff. If this was really a problem you would think I would get some sort of indication on the dash.

P.S. great collection! the F430, FF, 458 (soon to be replaced with a Speciale).. makes it difficult to pick a car to drive :)

4. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I assume they are getting a fault signal on the OBDII read out even though you don't get one on the TFT. You might try to chat with the technician who did the download... just for info. There is a flap position sensor in there and it may be that it has failed -- or (a glimmer of hope) the sensor may be sending a wrong signal and it may still be working. I think it is reasonable to try to satisfy yourself that you have a real problem.

The claim that the whole plenum would need to be replaced is credible. Ferrari seems to have little concern for repair protocols that are simple replacements of the actual failing part. You may know that early DCTs had some failures that were traceable to an internal sensor malfunction. The entire transmission needed to be replaced. 27K if you were out of warranty. Now 5 years later there is a repair protocol for "only" 3-4K. At the other end of the spectrum, if a dash knob wears out, you cannot just get the knob; you are in for the entire switch assembly -- 3K (I recall a thread where someone had this experience).

I'm sure you will love the Speciale. For now I am keeping my '11.

5. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Gotta love 'em. Everything was just peachy with my car until I needed to trade it in and now suddenly there is a $10K repair to be done. The car drives like a dream so I'd haveto assume it's the sensor and not the actual flap. I suspect I would notice something either low or top end if there was an actual issue.

Thanks for your help.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    $10K for what you believe is a plastic sensor is nuts IMHO. The task seems relatively straight forward to replace as well. Since the Special likely has the same parts inside I'd make sure you get all the old parts back so you can swap out the sensor if it fails again. Still sounds strange though. Good luck.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    In the worst case the dealer should make you a deal out of good business practice. At the least do the repair (if needed) at service cost. Or perhaps offer to split the cost 50-50. The point is to treat the resolution of the issue as a negotiation. A few K should not be the cause of alienating a good customer, which I assume you are.

Best of luck.

8. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I couldn't agree with you more however, according to the service manager.. he always charges full cost for any repair to the sales department. Apparently, service customers get a better deal than the sales people working deals. It's all very stinky.

I'm sure we'll work something out.. I just all the games.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Not entirely crazy. Service is a separate profit/cost center. Then your deal would have to come from sales dept.

When my 458 was about 3 months old I decided to get a repair of a wear-and-tear nature Service offered to do it at their cost -- about 1/3 off. I was told that they would be reimbursed for the difference by sales. If they want to do it they can,

10. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I have seen this many times and always related to a vacuum leak or vacuum supply problem. There is also a software update to early 458 for false errors.
    I have had dozens of these with stuck flap errors and air injection faults all due to broken or disconnected vacuum lines or software. Not once have I had an actual flap failure or sticking. There is a self test to cycle all the flaps and confirm proper operation that can be run through the DEIS tester.

Tarek307 likes this.
  11. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I echo the 50/50 cost split.

12. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    This is great info! Can you be more specific in what test should be run? Thanks for the assistance!

13. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    What about asking the dealer to do the self test cycle suggested here? Also the software update?

Anyone in the Tampa Bay Area got a DEIS tester?

14. fourfiftyeight

May 26, 2015
    Any update on this? I recently had the engine light come on and dealer told me same thing. Secondary air leak, sticking manifold plenum valve, would cost about 12-15k to fix. Car drives fine, no problem with throttle response.

458Piloti likes this.
  15. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    My flaps were indeed sticking open, no CEL, drove just fine since they were sticking open not closed. Had them replaced for 10K for the new owner.

16. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Something small like this makes me think that I need to get the extended warranty when my current warranty expires in 4 months. $10K to fix this seems extreme. I guess $9K extended 2 year warranty is well worth it.

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian

IMHO it's worth it to get a warranty extension. Yes it's expensive but not nearly as expensive if you need a new tranny, intake manifold, ect. I'm going to do it when my 3 year expires October 2016.

18. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I don't think this problem is hugely widespread.

My position on extended warranties has always been: those companies exist for a reason. On the whole, they make more money than they pay out (otherwise, nobody would be in that business). Therefore, if you have the financial wherewithal to play the statistics (which most Ferrari owners do), then play the statistics and go without the extended warranty.

19. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    I agree. It's just like insurance. In the long run, you'll pay a lot more in than get in claims.

20. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    If I was keeping the car, I wouldn't have done the repair. The car was absolutely fine with no danger of damage and ran perfect. However, since I was trading it in and it was indeed an issue, I couldn't expect Ferrari to accept the car as is and sell it to someone without doing the repair. Insurance is just that and as many have said.. chances are you'll be fine without it.

21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah