Thoughts on BMW i8 as daily driver | FerrariChat

Thoughts on BMW i8 as daily driver

Discussion in 'Other German' started by plastique999, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok thinking of something fun but practical as a daily driver? Anyone have experience with an i8?
    Things to look for or watch out for?
    I’ve never owned a hybrid ...

Sent from my 16M

2. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Did 1800km with it from Barcelona to the north coast of Spain and Back in 48 hours.

It’s super comfy (even that it’s low) handles super nice, all the power you need within legal speeds and then some.

Pros: comfort, turns super well due to the weight balance, all the electronics you need, economic on fuel.

Cons: the electric boost is not meant for hard long driving, once it runs out you will wait for it to charge, very low car so be mindful of clearance, scissor doors, no sexy engine sound, liniar acceleration is not as satisfying.

If you have specific questions I would love to answer.

Sixt have them for rent in specific markets, take it for a spin and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Ingress-egress is terrible. Cargo room is not too great. I think they hybrid synchronization is better executed than other manufacturers. What’s your objective, cool factor? High mpg? Something different?

anunakki likes this.
  4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Bruh. Porsche Taycan Turbo S ;)

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You can get used ones for 1/2 price now, I think dealer can put another 4 years of warranty.

I don't know if you buy your daily drivers used but the CPO and depreciation baked in makes it a fairly low risk proposition. They do look awesome.

I've said here before a half a dozen times what they need to do is just make one with the 600hp twin turbo V8 that they have in the m5 / M6 cars.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well....trying to be wise and thin the herd....my wife and I have too many dailys so we were going to unload a couple cars and buy a fun daily driver.
    If ingress/egress and low clearance is an issue, then that may be a problem.
    Want something sleek, comfortable and fun to drive...doesn’t have to be fast.

Sent from my 16M

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hah! That’s actually a cool looking car...when’s it supposed to be released?

Sent from my 16M

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I daily drove one for 2 years. Great car. Think of it as a way cooler and more fun Conti Gt competitor. It’s a GT/sports car with super car looks.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think you need to rent one for a while first.

I dont own one but a good friend does so Ive been in it a lot and driven it plenty as well. If you are tall and/or heavy its really difficult to get into/out of without looking like a chimp. Super comfy once you are in it though. I also found it very difficult to see out of. I would not want to parallel park it on a densely packed city street.

10. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Every time I get in one I need to go see my chiropractor.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  11. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Check the door clearance and consider your typical parking options
    The doors are not quite scissor so you need a wider space to get in/out than either traditional or scissor doors
    If you have lots of wide parking, no problem
    Otw possible problem

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Actual US deliveries Q2 '20. Most order slots already filled in US. Pricing from $158K to $185K before dealer pack. Usual Porsche options list adds $30K easily.......

Re the i8; I only test drove 1 car; straight line was not impressive comp to my R8, ingress/egress extremely difficult for a big person, beware the doors in a parking garage, and BTW wifey no likey that egress part.....:D
    I think a fun car tho if you have others as required.......

plastique999 likes this.
  13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have heard early 2020. But currently CA is giving big waiting problems (as pay back for diesel gate) to all VW, Porsche, Audi new models consequently no new models are being released timely in the US. So hard to guess how much pain CA will continue to inflict on a new EV from Porsche.:rolleyes:

14. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Haha abarth it is! Maybe you can rent one off turo? I want my next to be an AMG but I think the gf gets next choice. What are you thinking of selling? Don’t say the Aston

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    He gives jockeys a run for their money

ryalex likes this.
  16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    A friend has one. It is almost impossible for me to get in or out of, especially on the passenger side.

17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have a friend with one. He had me take it for a spin. I really liked it. yes, ingress and egress is challenging, but I previously had a diablo and McLaren, so not too much different.

If your are looking for an enjoyable daily driver consider the M850. I bought one 6 months ago and love it!! It is my daily. Nicely appointed, comfortable, lots of storage, very fast, all wheel drive, all wheel steering, etc. basically BMWs version of FF/Luso.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Compared to a Lotus or a 4C the i8 is very easy to get in and out of. There is a trick to doing it, and I am no spring chicken and never had a problem with that part of ownership. My girlfriend is tall and she would always tell me it is not easy to get in and out off the car with heels and address, but we figured out a way. My problem was that my cars always need a purpose and I could not figure out what purpose the car had, it was not a sports car, and there are many cars that are better GT cars. The fake exhaust sounds that did get to me after a while. I agree with the statement above though, get a CPO car and DO NOT buy new, unless you enjoy throwing money away. Buy a CPO save a lot, then give something to a charity. I find that part more satisfying than some of the cars I end up with at times.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I agree with Steve M, the 850 is a much better choice, and a much better GT car. I have had over 50 BMW's and this is the longest period that I can remember that I do not have one.

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just bought another i8, going to modify this one. If anyone wants a really interesting 850 gran coupe, I know where there is brand new green one (that is really done well) that I almost bought myself.

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had an i8 for two years and 20k miles.
    Took it everywhere. City traffic to work, weekend trips to shore house... you name it. Even Stuffed the kids in the back seat and took them to school daily. Splendid car, excellent performance, especially considering I got 45mpg on average. Bulletproof reliability during my tenure too.

Only issue is that things kind of fall apart performance wise once you exceed 7/10ths. Brakes fade rapidly, car hopelessly understeers and you lose the battery performance boost
    After a few minutes. But aside from those rare occasions when I acted like a fool on some empty back roads, it was not something I noticed during 99% of my drives

Carnut likes this.
  22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The throttle controller is in the car, today I am going to code it, and next week it will get its tune. Should be interesting, I am working on getting more rubber on the car (wheel and tire setup car be much better), to help with the handling. My first one was a 2014, this one is a much better car (and I am not exactly sure why yet). Still looking for that 4C spider to take apart too.

neth likes this.