What grease to use in the shift box? | FerrariChat

What grease to use in the shift box?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Alex308qv, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Searches turned up a variety of thoughts but I'd like current expert opinion before completing the shifter box rebuild in my '85 QV. My main concern is ensuring the grease is compatible with the plastic ball-jointed cup.

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I used Dow MolyKote. I think it was 111 but will check this weekend and send a pic.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    mike996 and Rod like this.
  4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks both. Your recommended products look great for lubricating the plastic cup. A related question is the lube used for the shifter's main shaft (where it goes through the housing) as well as the other metal-to-metal parts in the box. My housing's outlet was worn slightly, and I had to weld up and re-bore it. As you know the main shaft "wipes" against the housing bores as it moves forward and back, so the grease used there needs some "staying power." Is there a recommended grease for these metal-to-metal areas?

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I used the same molykote but now you questioned that I am having lubricators remorse

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The moly additives in many greases are not good for plastic. White lithium is typical OEM spec for metal to plastic applications. The silicone greases are interesting, and plastic safe for sure. Sil-glyde is widely available and rubber safe and used for eg. brakes pin sliders, so I think it is good for these low speed applications (verses greases designed for high speed and load bearings).

I personally use just the white lithium for everything, so I don't forget and worry about compatibility long term as the silicones are best not mixed with other lubricants. So White lithium is fine for metal on plastic and metal on metal, especially where there is little splashing of water or fling out motions involved which is he case in the shifter mechanism.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I used white lithium.

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I use Molykote 33 medium. A lithium/silicone compound for metal/plastic, metal/metal.
    BTW. I also used this for my window motor gear.

Best from Germany
    Martin

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I rebuilt mine 6 years ago with Red Line CV grease throughout, even on the plastic ball washer (or whatever it's called) and it's been nice and smooth ever since. The plastic washer is the only part I ordered for the rebuild.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Milkshaker0007 likes this.