Towbin Ferrari of Las Vegas good? | FerrariChat

Towbin Ferrari of Las Vegas good?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by Nate360f1, Jan 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    I was looking to bring my 360 into Towbin for a dignostic of the F1 and got quoted $595 for a diagnostic fee. When I inquired whether that would go toward any necessary repair, they stated that it would not. That's a first for me. I'm wondering what experience anyone else has had with Towbin or if there is a better alternative. This is in regard to an F1 transmission issue specifically where it is randomly throwing the transmission into neutral and shutting the engine off. The car will sometimes even say it's in gear and will be in neutral. Very strange.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

BOKE likes this.
  2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Towbin is top-notch.

The same crew used to be over at the Wynn. I have a 25+ year history with Rick Kansky, the service director.

Proper diagnostics of the F1 system involve a lot more than plugging in an SD3. I can assure you that they will treat you right and be very fair with you on top quality work. There is are a lot of years of experience in the shop.

Are you up in the St. George area???

RyanFoH, TheMayor and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm in St George so getting things done is becoming an issue due to the distance. I'm glad you've had a good experience. I've just never heard of having to pay nearly $600 just to diagnose without it being applied to any other service at all. They did imply that "maybe they could "work with me after the fact" but I don't know what that even means. Just wondering if people have had a good experience overall.

SAFE4NOW and BOKE like this.
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I just hung up with Rich. Tell them Marc from FChat sent you.

@ryalex will confirm what I am telling you.

ryalex likes this.
  5. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H

Thanks!

BOKE likes this.
  6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    It might just be your brake pressure switch. A small, white plastic, plunger that the brake pedal depresses. It went out on two CS’s of mine. $25 part from Ricambi I believe.

7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    A bad brake switch would cause the TCU to select neutral if the car is sitting still in gear, but it wouldn't kill the engine. Maybe it could. YMMV

Not enough information provided by the OP for Internet troubleshooting, IMHO.

8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I will only go to Towbin. I drive from Santa Barbara to see them. Totally trustworthy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ryalex and BOKE like this.
  9. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    Good to know. Thanks for the response!

10. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    #10 Nate360f1, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Well, as it turns out it looks like I will avoid the dealer for now. It was already in the shop "Italy Service" for the timing belt in addition to this issue but the owner (Brian) said he couldn't replicate my problem with the transmission... which was shocking because I couldn't hardly get it out of the driveway without it stalling or going into neutral when I finally had it towed to Vegas. I was sure that I would drive it around Vegas and it would instantly start acting up again and I would be taking it to Towbin for the transmission issue. Well, I got down there today highly skeptical I must admit. Brian said he did a master reset using the Leonardo tool they use there and it must have fixed the transmission problem. I felt very strongly that it was a clutch position sensor and/or throttle position sensor issue mixed with a brake switch malfunction based on my reading and the codes I read with my scanner ( P1586 P1587 and P1571) It further concerned me that Brian said he couldn't read the codes even though I hadn't cleared them before sending it down. In spite of all that, I drove it around the block, paid for the service and then drove it over 100 miles back home without a single problem including a stop for gas. I can't say I fully trust it yet, but I'm beginning to trust it a lot more again. Here's to hoping the transmission issues are behind me for a long while at least. I don't understand how Brian managed not to recreate my problem with the transmission or how it was miraculously fixed, but it does appear to be fixed and I have a fresh timing belt, so I can recommend Brian Ichikawa at Italy Service based off my experience. The timing belt job was $1744.35 which seemed fair to me although this is my first Ferrari so I really couldn't say if that's high or low. I will be going back to Italy Service when necessary but if there is something Brian doesn't have time for or can't sort out I'll definitely try Towbin.

Now I have to sort out a few more things:

1. Passenger side blinker (the tiny one in the fender) doesn't work even though I replaced it (a severed wire I suspect)

2. Passenger side door latch is obviously about to fail as I have to pull the handle all the way out to the very top for the door to open

3. Adjust window regulators/window position to get good better seal against the rear of the windows and convertible top. Currently there is a rather large gap and considerable wind noise when top is up.

4. Fix the top so it folds correctly every time when retracting. Currently it doesn't fold and needs "help" in order for it to not stick out and hit the rear hatch and prevent the cover from closing.

5. Figure out why the exhaust rattles on the passenger side quite badly on startup for the first 30 seconds or so and then goes completely quiet afterward.

6. Find a male connector to go into the existing battery tender connection behind the drivers seat or replace it.

7. Try to find replacement trim material for the wind deflectors behind the seats. The rubber material is cracking pretty bad and even flaking off but appears to just push into the plastic frame so it would be a shame to have to replace the whole set of three deflectors just for what looks like weatherstripping.

Things I had already done are the following:

1. Replaced original F1 relay which failed and left me stranded with this cheaper and apparently better one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GIHN1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Destickified a bunch of the interior pieces using the following method which worked really well:

3. Greased the seat tracks to eliminate terrible noise when making seat adjustments.

4. Replaced the brake switch

5. Replaced little fender blinker with this one https://www.ricambiamerica.com/165558-frt-direc-light.html but it still doesn't work.

6. Replaced brake switch with this one: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/183433-brake-pedal-switch-bosch.html Probably should have bought this one though: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/334064-brake-pedal-switch-bosch.html -- Even after replacing I still occasionally had a code thrown for P1571 which indicated a problem with the new switch too. Not sure what the problem was.

Anyway, I thank everyone for the help and hope this information might help someone else out.

11. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    Thanks for the response. I had replaced it earlier, and the original one definitely was broken, but strangely the car showed the P1571 fault even after replacement. I'm not sure if it was an adjustment issue or what, but it's amazing how well everything works now after I got it out of the shop. It's also amazing how a cheap plastic switch and a cheap F1 relay can completely disable a whole vehicle and make you look like a total fool on the road. Oh well. At least I can provide a good laugh for all the other drivers.

ryalex likes this.
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes. I trust them without reservation. When I got each of my cars I had them spend a few hours going through them and each time I got great value for my money, because there was a bunch of small things they fixed on the way everything from little light bulbs to wiring problems, fuses and cleaning connections, etc. The reality is on some of these electronics issues need a few hours' time to diagnose, and they've been through more 360s than any place within 250 miles.

But unlike a lot of corporate shops where the work is hidden from you, they not only photograph everything and get approvals as they go, but Rich and the techs will explain it to you and show you what will be/was fixed and why. Things are triaged between essential, ideal and upcoming needs.

My friends ask if I will get a Lambo, McLaren, etc. but one of the reasons I now have buyer brand loyalty to Ferrari is that I trust Rich and the guys at Towbin to keep me on the road (as I also accept that they are still low volume Italian cars). I've known them for over 10 years through club events and now a customer for 4. I know it's more daunting when you're out of town, and it's not like you can stop by to/from work and pop in for something.

I know the fear though, as I once spent over $6,000 at 3 different Porsche and resto shops trying to fix an electronic gremlin in a manual 928. 40+ hours of labor and no results. Rich had actually offered to have his guys take a crack at it (some of his crew worked at Porsche), but I cut my losses and sold it for a song. That's another story.

Nate360f1 likes this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thank you for writing how I feel about them. I drive over 800 miles to have my cars serviced once a year by them. I spend a few days having fun in Vegas. In the case where they need my car longer, I just take a $100 flight home and then fly back and get it when ready. The peace of mind from knowing they will only do what is needed and do it correctly is priceless

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ryalex likes this.
  14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Brian at Italy Service is top notch as well. Don't let the shop location fool you.

Nate360f1 likes this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree with this post.

And Rich is really easy to talk to and will walk you through everything as will the mechanics. No BS, no up-sell.

RyanFoH, Nate360f1 and Vegas CS like this.
  16. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I third the post. 10yr customer here who desperately misses the bat cave.

synchro, Nate360f1 and TheMayor like this.
  17. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    I definitely think it could be. It acted up again a couple days ago even with the new switch installed. I think it's very temperamental. It wouldn't shift into gear and the f1 fault light came on. Luckily I turned it off and on again and it was good to go.... this time.

18. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H

Thanks for the input! All good to know. I knew this car wasn't going to be cheap, but I don't want to waste money either.

ryalex likes this.
  19. Nate360f1

Nate360f1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nate H
    I've got not complaints. His followup is actually pretty exceptional. He texted me a week or so after I got it back just to see how things were going. Pretty rare to have that level of personal care and followup these days.

20. fastfreddy

fastfreddy Rookie

Jul 3, 2007
    Las Vegas area
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Just had my first service experience with Rich and Omar at Towbin Ferrari. They are excellent. I was introduced to the mechanic servicing my Speciale and tour the shop floor. These are now the go-to guys for me.

21. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Who’s your mechanic? Tavis takes care of my CS. The service team is the best when it comes to personal service. You may end up finding yourself visiting just to shoot the **** sometimes. lol

fastfreddy and ryalex like this.
  22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Gary was one of the first people I met in LV, and I recently had my first direct experience with Brian and it was excellent too - he contacted me about the 355 I had. I had it listed for about a year, Brian put a deal together for his customer that included a major and we got the deal done within two days.

23. fastfreddy

fastfreddy Rookie

Jul 3, 2007
    Las Vegas area
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My mechanic was Tavis as well! Agreed, all great guys to talk to.

24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have been taking my 430 there since 2008 and now my FF and my Ghost. It is an 850 mile roundtrip drive for me. I don't trust anyone else

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BOKE and fastfreddy like this.
  25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It actually is fun to go talk to them. When they were in the batcave at Wynn I used to stop in all the time.

fastfreddy likes this.