whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I own one of each Maranello, a 550 and a 575, and I'd be delighted if they jumped in value. I can't predict that either way, but what I can say is that a) they are wonderful cars and b) they aren't great looking, classic Ferraris in a design sense. One of the reasons the Dino (and the classic 911) rose so high is their physical beauty. The Maranellos are nice looking, but people who don't know what they are don't give them a second glance, and no professional in the creative industries would ever describe them as beautiful - unlike a GTO (original GTO), pre-impact 911, Dino, DS Decapotable, Miura, and others. One of our creative directors, a car guy, described the 550's looks as "quiet", which just about sums it up.

Where beauty meets a great car and is added to rarity, is where prices soar...but sometimes beauty alone does it. And much as I love my Maranellos, they are not beauties. Nor is a 599 or F12, though the F12 TDF is getting there.

If I were to put my money on one Ferrari going higher, it would be the F50. Already up there, but the last manual, rare, and certainly striking, LE. Followed by the awkward Enzo and the tech-laden LaF. And, of course, the F512M, its even rarer sibling from the mid-1990s..

Mikael-F360, -K1-, Camlet1 and 4 others like this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was fortunate to prefer the 456M over the 550/575M, because they were cheap 2+2's. I will always think the 456M is a very beautiful car. Glad it was my first Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. reimelmotorcars

reimelmotorcars Karting

Sep 18, 2018
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Chuck Reimel
    The 550 Maranello.... One of our favorite cars! Very analog V12, gated shifter, front engine Ferrari. A lot of styling cues to the 275 GTB. This is Ferrari getting back to their roots!

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    See the 512m I think prices may go down bc they’re close to the 25 year import rule here in the us and if the market brings in too many it could put pressure on the prices downward

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Once again, I'm thinking you need to study the demand side, specifically Gen X'ers. It's too early for the Millennials. The Baby Boomers have one foot on a banana peel. Because 1965 is a commonly accepted cutoff for the start of the X'ers, adding 20 years puts you at 1985. If you can figure out what Ferraris were hot in 1985, those same cars will be hot within five years.

JG333SP and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As an X-er, we're going to have to fund our own retirements. You know the social security fund goes belly up at about the same time. The thought of some 80's car that has maintenance costs a third of our kids private tuitions isn't palatable. I bought my 360 BECAUSE after owning a 928, the thought of maintaining another 80's car made the 348 I was interested in at the time churn my stomach and wallet. Mind you that was when the 348 was $30-40k.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    As an early millenial (mid 80s), I too am having to save more for my retirement than I'd like. It didn't help that today the yield curve (10yr-2yr treasury) dipped to 0.15 for first time since 2007 so any gains I will make with my investments probably will only go up in value for no more than 2 years from now.

JG333SP and Texas Forever like this.
  8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    As a millennial (born in 1990) I feel entitled to a fully optioned 812 superfast.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think this thread has been confusing value for money for appreciation potential.

They're not the same thing.

Matt

ewright, ross and Texas Forever like this.
  10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #160 F355 Fan 82, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    the reality is ALL Ferraris will appreciate on the basis the dollar will continue its devaluation. Real Estate,Art,Cars don't really appreciate as much as you think, in time dollars devalue and certain assets hold up better than others. In 20 years your average new Ferrari will be $600-800k or more and of course your 355 berlinetta isn't going to still be $60k.

Here is a chart of the average home price in the US, in 1971 the average home was $25,300 and at the same a V12 Ferrari the 365 GTB was $24k. Fast forward 31 years and my 575 was $225k or the price of the average home then and overall 48 years later and the median home price was $340k a few months ago, its cooled off now, but guess what my 812 had a base of just around $340k. Moral is a new top of the line production V12 Ferrari is the price of the average american home and always will be.

Just enjoy the cars, because they will go up if you hold them long enough, if you just hold dollars i promise you'll 100% lose money in time.

ross and imahorse like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Home price chart needs to be adjusted for inflation.

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The 90s and early 2000s formed another golden age of cars in my opinion. As a millennial, not many cars after this period interest me. I believe that the cars from this era (primarily the imports) will gain value. Naturally since I own a 360 I think it will go up in value. It's a timeless design that ages very well. I believe every Ferrari in that era will hold a higher value than the cars before and after it decades from now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caphill and Texas Forever like this.
  13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm with vrsurgeon on this, the engine out cars I don't think will appreciate it. I sold my 355 last year and honestly I don't really crave another engine out car unless I could get it for dirt cheap like 45k.

I'm 30 years old and most people my age, although they like the 355, don't want to own one. Furthermore, I think many cars will come down in price in the next few years due to economic reasons. Also, many wanna-be enthusiasts got into the car thing in the last 5 years since it was popular and I see that attention drifting elsewhere in the future.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The problem I will say with classics is this, new cars depreciate hard and fast and frankly they're better cars. I love my 575 bc its gorgeous, not bc of the driving experience, bc for the same money i could get a 2015 porsche GT3 that would be way more fun to drive and definitely cheaper to own maintenance wise. So again with classics its about the nostalgia, a memory from when you were younger, whatever it is that made you love the car, but with how AWESOME new cars are its going to be really hard to justify the purchase of these used ferraris for those who are drivers, not so much lovers of design, when there is a ton of downward pressure coming from frankly much better cars like a 3 year old porsche GT3 or porsche turbo for $120-140k.

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is a subjective thing though. I have zero interest in anything Porsche has ever made. Zero. If you gave me one, I'd sell it to put more money into Ferraris. And for me, the driving experience of my 456M was magical, even though it had an automatic transmission. If it had a stick, I would have kept it for the rest of my life. Now the 360 stick is my car I'll keep forever, and for a V12, I'm still trying to choose between a 612 and an FF. Paddles are fine for GT cars to me, but a real sports car must have a manual.

The 456M was awesome at the track, BTW. The instructor couldn't get over how neutral it handled (Neither could I).

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im with you Ferraris are cool I chose to go with a 575 and an 812, believe me you don't have to convince me about the magic of ferrari. What you do have to do is convince the rest of the world though. Im one of the younger owners on here and as I've said before most of my friends do not like ferrari, actually they make fun of me for being the old man who likes them. I have lots of friends from other cars and coffee events, other friends from work related stuff and tbh most mid 30s guys like myself with exotics they own mclaren,lambo, and porsche. I think the reason most dont own ferraris is more bc Ferrari makes it so hard to get the cool cars, you have to buy previous cars, get on lists, etc and most of these young guys with money want it now, nobody has an interest in waiting and building a relationship. My 812 took forever to get here, most young people just aren't patient like that.

Young people may buy ferrari hats and shirts, but when it comes time for them to grab cars, I don't know if the stats are out there, but in my circle of friends, ferrari is not the brand of choice. The new mclaren 570s is really taking alot of market share with the young crowd that is buying their first exotic, its cheap and sexy relative to the entry ferrari the portofino. When it comes to spending big money, I love my 812 but im not gonna sit here and say its sexier than an aventador, its just not but I've always loved the GT cars.

So its a good question which ferraris appreciate, I personally think all do as the dollar devalues, but then I also think younger, future car collectors are going to go for other brands down the road.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks for the great insights into your generation's thinking! I'm a cliche for my generation; I had a Countach poster AND a 512 BB poster in high school (Also had a Porsche 917 poster on my ceiling, the first thing I opened my eyes to every morning - The Sunoco livery somehow snagged me. :) ).

I remain optimistic that some of your friends will evolve. :D

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am surprised you lump the 599 and the f12 together - they are so vastly different in design.

personally, i think the 599 is undervalued, and the f12 is overvalued. but its always in the eye of the beholder. ...

Caphill, Philipnz and Texas Forever like this.
  19. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

I suppose we’ll see on the engine-out cars. History may show that expensive maintenance costs didn’t stop Tier A collectibles from value increases - Porsche 550s/718RSKs, 250 GTOs, 288 GTO, F40, McLaren F1s, Carrera GTs. Even Tier B cars like BBis and TRs increased in significant value in the most recent peak cycle and those are engine out cars. Granted there may be a minor impact short-term, other factors influenced values more greatly: beauty, provenance, and relative rarity.

Besides, my experience with extra costs due to engine out have been around $3k-$4k every 5 years. The extra $600-$800 per year wouldn’t stop me from owning a car which I think is beautiful, has provenance and is rare relative to demand. Again, other factors will seem to play a bigger role in the appreciation impact.

WRT your comment regarding the economy, this I may agree.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So already 1 year has gone by , seems like virtually everything has continued to drop in value.

Is this likely to continue in 2020, is the party really over already?

21. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    I think in Europe we’ll see a serious price rise within +-5to8 years... when a lot of the stunning 90s cars become 30 years + (some of) the people who loved them as a kid will have the buying power+ the average new car will have zero emotion.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The balloon is deflating..much qùicker then I thought.

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  23. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Saturation. Saturation. Saturation....

The bubble is deflating quickly.. Worst of all, I don't think it has popped, yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ChipG and Texas Forever like this.
  24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #174 G. Pepper, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    I don't see any end in sight to this softening market. That's why I gave up on the idea of selling my 308 and will now just keep it. Reality has not set in for some sellers, though.

ChipG likes this.
  25. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just wait till we have a recession, or a deep recession - when that happens many of the cars will be impossible to sell. The Dealers drove these prices up the last decade - they are scarred currently to speculate and we find ourselves with a MKT that is being supported by end users, normalization of MKT.

I used to love all these “classics” however with all these new cars like the GT3’s, Mclaren 570’s, etc my list has changed. I wanted to buy another CS or a 512TR until I drove a 570 GT or a new GT3 /GTRS. I don’t want those older F cars anymore.

IMHO