What do you do during winter? | FerrariChat

What do you do during winter?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I'm getting restless, waiting for winter to just pass by so that I can go out for a long exciting ride with my 458. What do you do while waiting? I tend to go down to the garage a few times a week and pull down the roof, and just sit in the car haha[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Ski

Watch football

Drink wine.

My 458 is stored where l ski so l see her every time l hit the slopes...which is almost daily.

Skiing actually fills my need for speed in the winter.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ski and race cars.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm from Canada but chose to live in a place without snow! So in January I still drive the car almost every day! It has been really cold though this winter with a lot of days in the 10-15°C range.

Leaving work last night:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons and Thecadster like this.
  5. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Lol, 10-15 c is not cold. That's like spring in Sweden

6. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Nice! Makes sense

7. PhilaChris

PhilaChris Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Drive the winter car! FF on Sottozeros.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have multiple winter fun cars, and since Algar is storing my car I get to take a ride over to see it, but really I go to see if anything they have interests me.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I could drive the 459 in winter when roads are clear. But the car just doesn’t feel right when the tires aren’t warmed up to at least 120F. That’s not easy in winter here. 16F outside now.

10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I live in SA, so year round driving here, but I'm probably moving to Jefferson, CO - property is under contract/pending and is supposed to close at the end of the month - but I'm going to have a snowmobile, an ATV and 65 acres, so I doubt I'll be bored. An indoor 40' range too.

And it ought to be an inspiring place for me to do music as well.

docf likes this.
  11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I drive my 488 as often as I can, in all kinds of weather, paying close attention to tire temps and power application. Only avoid going out when it's snowing. I should probably get all season tires. Drove in a pouring rainstorm today because the weather was so nice and I'm not sure when I'll get to drive it again. When I returned home, I enjoyed cleaning.

12. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    When winter gives you 65 degree days, you go drive until the tank is empty! A couple of other Ferraris is the Philly area had the same idea today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefunctNeurons, Graz and Thecadster like this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I usually light the fireplace, pour a glass of Chianti, or scotch, depending on the mood, and listen to classical music looking out of the window. Oh, you meant driving wise? That 's what Land Rovers are for when we get snow... ;)

DefunctNeurons and PhilNotHill like this.
  14. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
  15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have 2 Audis.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    One of them is an S5 or RS5, right? Enjoy them in good health sir! I 've never warmed to Audis though; I have always been an Alfa/BMW person when it comes to that class of cars. If it comes down to a need for an off roader, I stick with our island's finest traditions: "The Best 4 x 4 x Far" ;)

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #18 PhilNotHill, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    We have an S4 stick shift and an S5 convertible. In Aspen l like all wheel drive. It is 3.5 hour drive to Denver for BMW and MB service. Audi is 45 minutes in Glenwood Springs. And Audi has the best all wheel system IMVHO. Subaru copied it. Or should l say stole it.

I used to have an RS5 but traded it in on the S5 convertible. It is actually faster than the RS5 which was naturally aspirated while the S5 is a turbo and does not lose power as a result of the altitude. We are at 8,000 ft above sea level.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Fair enough, servicing is important!
    Audi's 4WD system is mediocre though, compared to real 4x4s, sorry to tell you that, sir.
    One needs a Land Rover, or a Jeep, or a G-Wagen to clear those trails.

PS: My friends in NYC told me that it was 20 Celcius today... Crazy!

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You should really get a set of winter tyres for the cold months. It will make the car so much more enjoyable.
    Driving the 488 on summer tyres in cold and wet conditions, is just asking for trouble.

Was riding along in a Lusso two months ago, and it was about 6-7 c, a bit damp, but not wet, and the car was "warm" so to speak. We got to a motorway onramp we both know like the back of our hand, and did not push hard at all, and the car still lost traction, 4RM system be damned. Car had fairly fresh MPS4S rubber on it, and here's the kicker - we were in WET mode. Had we been in a 488 or 812, or perhaps just COMFORT or SPORT, that incident could have ended very differently. Winter tyres is about so much more than snow and you'll have a car you can push and enjoy a lot more.

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth

I agree with you. I should really get winter tyres. Your description of what occurred in the Lusso is totally credible.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The scary part is how planted the car can feel before it lets go. In the summer when the roads are hotter and tyre temps get up, slip is progressive. The odd combination of summer tyres that are not really up to temp on those cold roads have a tendency to just shoot you off the road. When the Lusso lost traction, we were going through 80 kmh in a calm manner following other motorists. It was dead straight and all of a sudden the rpm increased and the rear started whipping. My friend is a decent racer and a good driver, and he caught it within 2 seconds, but it was a huge surprise. Had it been in SPORT, I would have thought nothing of it and simply calling it careless, but seeing that the car was in WET and tyre temps were in the 18-19 c range, it was a stark reminder as to how much torque we are really trying to control and how powerful the cars have gotten. I do wholeheardedly think we would have ended up on youtube had we been in the 488 or 812 on summer tyres that morning.

Getting a good slap and a reminder on occassion is good I suppose. We got ours that day lol.

steven t evans, Ivinsea and FPFaeth like this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Drive my Demon with snow tires.

G. Pepper and tomc like this.
  24. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    What do I do in the winter? DRIVE! It was 80 degrees and sunny today here in FL. Top down cruising and no a/c needed except at traffic lights :D