car design thread | Page 384 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Where are the scarfs?

2. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I just looked up the difference between scarfs and scarves. Apparently they are interchangeable but pronounced differently. So I am pretty sure stylists wear scarves, and scarfs are for cold weather. So I will change my question -
    Where are the scarves? :D

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not to worry, I found 'em. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney and G. Pepper like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    So, by your definition, this has to be a scarf? :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    colombo2cam and Boomhauer like this.
  6. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Turns out that there is only one way to spell scarf (singular) so there is never a scarve. But there can be scarfs or scarves. So Snoopy definitely has a scarf. (But he may have some scarves in his doghouse)

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Same with leaf, leafs, and leaves. Except leave is a real word that means something else entirely.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    G. Pepper and energy88 like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Don’t know where that Z came from!
    Supposed to be Ford Motor

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#9585 Tcar, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    I do... 'Z' is right next to the shift key.... you meant to capitalize the M in Motor...

Also, clicked on link.... do not see anything about Ford at all on that site...

jm2 likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I was afraid of that. The photos were posted on linked-in and showed the Ford clay model history. But the link takes you to the clay milling machine company. I’d delete the post if I could.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    If you're a female reporter in the Middle East, you have to wear a head covering. If you're the head of a European automobile design studio, you have to wear a scarf.

-F

jm2 likes this.
  14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    of2worlds, colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Nice job of photography but look closer at the underlying design (get past the sizzle and analyze the meat). , Nissan's designs continue to wander aimlessly in the wilderness. Just because they can give a nice interview where someone talks about design philosophy for the future in no way gives them a pass for what the organization actually approves for production.

I meant to mention when there was the discussion on Nissan's memorable design heritage that 2 of their cited hallmarks, 510 and 240Z, were designed by outsiders.

16. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    And all (virtually) of Ferrari's were! :D

of2worlds likes this.
  17. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Not bad. Not sure about the choice of burnished gold. :rolleyes:

I believe the self confidence of a brand should be reflected in the size and use of its brand logos, in the case of an automobile, the size and number of brand badges. If a brand is up, it has latitude to go big on the brand logo badge. Think about Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, or even Tesla, if it so chose to go that way. If a brand is down, it should pull back.

If that is true, Nissan should reduce the size of their logo on the front. And with that, the trim pieces should slim down.

And like Jeff said, Nissan needs to have a purpose, not wander around aimlessly. It needs some rules to follow.

And on the point of Japanese design, there are too few of examples of a future facing Japanese aesthetic based on modernism, that could be used for Japanese cars, a combination of simple Japanese design with modern design principles. Like if Muji made a car for the future. Honda has done some concepts and the Sony concept is kind of in that vein. But regrettably, Japanese design aesthetic is too often a code word for being overwrought with slashes and clashes.

Yes, it might take an outsider to accomplish this pivot.

-F

jm2 likes this.
  18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    My belief is that Nissan has lacked anyone in the most senior levels of management that has any conviction to design. No idea if their head of Design is too inept as a designer or, if instead all he is allowed to do is put forward proposals where the non-Design senior leadership chooses elements to be combined. So, at some point the designers toiling away propose crap since that is what the corporate powerful want to see and they then reward those who please them with such crap. In such a situation the really talented either leave or just resign themselves to the situation and become a demoralized lifer.

I am not convinced that the Japanese are incapable of producing good design in-house. They surely are able to get the outstanding designers from the talent pool coming out of the assorted design schools. What it may require is that the Design leadership come from someone that did not ascend through their internal ranks where all the ways to succeed is the final failing to serve good design. But, and it is a monstrous "but", if the top leader of the company does not offer political protection for that person then they will be doomed. This "but" applies universally, not just Nissan or the broader Japanese industry.

Going back to Nissan, during the early times of Nissan Design International, the outpost in La Jolla, under Jerry Hirschberg they did some great work. The Pulsar and its Sportback variation were great (lead designer was an ex-Chrsler person), the Nissan pick-up truck was another good one, I know there were others but can't remember them off hand. The 300Z was a stunner, claimed to be a Japanese design but it sure used the form language more like NDI.

of2worlds, furmano, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  19. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    "And on the point of Japanese design, there are too few of examples of a future facing Japanese aesthetic based on modernism"

And yet, in contemporary architecture, Japan has produced some of the preeminent practitioners; Ban, Ando, & Kuma are just three -

furmano and jm2 like this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    An older video, but fascinating nonetheless, a 1959 ‘Styling’ video.
    Instead of scarves, bow-ties, pipes, suits & ties. :eek:
    http://lignesauto.fr/?p=13447

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow, what an amazing look at the era.

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  25. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003