BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 74 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    and then make grand coupe garbage out of everything as well..

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Because BMW seems obsessed with nomenclature.... Remember when 325 actually meant--3 series, 2.5 liters... now everything is a hot mess with them.. M3/M4 is the least of their problems. However, I don't understand how you are defining "modern BMW" For me, the demarcation point for "modern BMW's" in the sense that they followed BMW traditional formula is E46/E39. I agree that the E90 and E60 in some ways were better than what followed, I look at them as the break point. ESPECIALLY the E60. It's been largely a forest of disappointment with the occasional tree of hope ever since.

Of course, that doesn't mean, I can't pick and chose particular modern BMWS that I personally believe are excellent, even if they don't ascribe to traditional BMW values.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    2001 was the last year of BMW for me. E38, E39, E46, and Z8 were the best designs then and now imo. 2001 X5 and Z3 are ok, but not ugly by any means. The 2002 7 series was a joke that started the end. E60 doesn't even look like a BMW to me at least from the front.

Bradwilliams and GuyIncognito like this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Have to agree, theres nothign compelling they make now.

The new 7 series rental I had was nice and plush, but one could say that about nay luxury car, nothing special BMW about it.

the rest of the lineup is bland to drive and look at, IIhink their 4 cyl turbo motors are not as good as others, most of the x series have crappy ride and so so steering.

I guess maybe a loaded x5 is the best choice in the misize/big suv category, but thats about it.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd agree except I prefer the e36 to the e46. Not that I don't like the e46, but I passed up a couple of e46 m3's to get an e36. I feel like the e46 was when they started to get a little 'fat' for lack of a better word. Of course, the next gen is where they got really fat and then the F series started to dial that back a little, at least styling wise.

I've had 3 e38's and now have an e36 m3. Hope to get an e39 m5 at some point, but I may have missed the boat on those.

JaguarXJ6 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's the heat that kills them - the e38 has an awful cooling system that starts to, literally, disintegrate at 120-140k miles. Then the engine gets hot and the timing chain guides get brittle and fail. Like clockwork, I had it happen to me twice. If you get a low coolant warning or you see the temp gauge move from dead center, shut the car off and get it towed and replace whatever the issue is immediately, and they will run for a really long time. Let it get hot and you'll be changing the guides or possible worse.

Somebody really needs to come up with replacement cooling system parts for these cars that gets rid of all of the plastic, then they'd run forever with just fluid changes as the base engine and trans are really good (well, except for the part where they call the trans fluid 'lifetime'). I'm on the lookout for a nice 740i sport, but they're getting more and more difficult to find.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The E36 is a better chassis even though they have strut tower failures. The E46 rear subframe support panel was a botched design and can't be fixed. They all fail eventually because the subframe has no real structural mount points. I will never buy an E46 because of that.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I broke out the 135i 6spd from winter storage (3 weeks) to drive the next two days now that my driveway had sufficient melt to make it easy. I really love this car though it lacks that taut M suspension. A little more snow is coming, but spring is too, and jaunts will become more frequent until I can daily drive it. Currently on the winter wheel provided by the previous owner.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I had the E38 radiator replacement routine down to 45 minutes. The radiator had plastic bowls on the side that after a while would swell and pull away from the rows/core. The other issue with the M62TUB44 was crapping sparkplugs out of the head. Some people had tranny issues with a hard shift on the freeway. Aside from that, I have issue with the impact sensor for the airbags on the tranny tunnel where one good rock blew all my bags but that was an edge case.

Right now my 2012 X6M with the Racechip (660hp+) pulls like a monster and I really enjoy the long roadtrips more so than the E38 but I'd love to have another 2001 Steel Blue 740iL.

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    TestShoot likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Just picked up a 740i m sport for my wife.

Really amazing car. Great tech. Great ride. Great daily. I’m thinking I want one also.... maybe a 750 or 760.

Robb

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Was bored yesterday and went and bought a 2020 550 with close to a 90K sticker, BMW #58 (I recounted recently). So far I am impressed, but I have not started playing with it yet.

TestShoot likes this.
  13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That engine is moderately tunable. 600hp depending on which trim level you got. Not that you'd even want that much, it is no slouch.

Carnut likes this.
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I have two E46 M3s. One 04 and one 05. I track the 05 and keep a close eye on the subframe issues. So far, no evidence of any cracking or failures. But even if (when) it happens it's not a difficult upgrade.

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    a plaque and baseball cards, that's it?

17. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger. lol

TestShoot likes this.
  18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I worked for the production company during the time they were filming Goldeneye and the exec producer's wife was all about making BMW the new Bondmobiles. It was a lucrative partnership to help launch the Z3. I had the interesting task of bringing a check to the US Marine Corps to pay for their involvement and consultation fees. The envelope was sealed but the captain I delivered it to had a smirk on his face and we tried guessing at how much was in there.

19. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Got myself another project two weeks ago, 2008 535xit with all the bells and whistles (except soft close doors and night vision). The seller claimed the engine was seized, but it just needed a new starter to turn. Did a bit of preventive maintenance, now waiting for all the missing parts to arrive (turbo-related, mostly). Should be fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    HPFP, Low pressure sensor, wastegate fix... you'll be busy for a bit, but it could be worth it

21. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Always been a BMW fan.

E46 325 starter
    E46 M3 - put about $100k into the car including a HPF Turbo. (favorite). Had about 750 whp.
    E60 M5
    2008 X3 (wife)
    X5 (wife)
    X5 (wife)
    F10 M5 - great car, sold after I bought my first Ferrari
    F10 550i current DD
    Not crazy about the design of some of the newer models. Will have to see what they have when it's time for something new.

I have a really good relationship with my BMW dealer and makes it hard to look at other brands.

TestShoot likes this.
  22. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yeah, that sounds like fun...got myself a manual trans to go in it though, so it'll have that going for it at least.

23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I’ve had several, bit of a fan.

330i
    335i
    M3, then M3 CS (both F80)- the CS is massively under appreciated. Way better than the standard M3 on track. Took European delivery of the standard M3 which was a great experience and an amazing deal (basically the wife and I got a free trip for 5 days)
    BMWCCA /NASA: SE30, Spec E36

Currently own BMWCCA: IP (modified E36 M3)

But, I really don’t like the current direction. Might not buy another. Gaudy grills, more weight, less “ultimate driving machine” more flash over substance.

Cicada likes this.
  24. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Picked up a '17 F80 M3 Jahre edition (6spd) to go along side the '95 F355 GTB and '01 Ducati 996 SPS.

TestShoot likes this.