430 - Refilling Coolant F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Refilling Coolant F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by David Barnes, Jan 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont think i will see it, as its in cars out of my price range anyway. Would u trust having it sitting for 10 years in a low miles car worth a shed full of money. Time will tell.

2. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    So...G48 is not H/OAT? Are you sure about that? What it is? IAT?
    Maybe you should look it up, so you know something about the subject before you start posting.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Johan- Beats me, you are the one using it. At least now you know what to look for. The last time I looked at it, no OAT additives.

4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Brian and 2NA. Tend to overthink on a regular basis! Result of dealing with semiconductor customers I guess!
    Will use the Shell Rotella Ultra ELC next time around. Changing the coolant is not bad. The gallons of waste are!

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. I trust little what car manufacturers tell me to put in a car. Their motives and mine have little in common. That is based on several decades of experience and a lot of observations that have shown there is good reason for distrust.

2NA and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you don't like that price, have a look at the price of the new freon replacement.

7. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Any difference between Rotella ultra and non-ultra. I'm assuming not.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    We are lucky here as the AC hardly gets any use. My 14 year old Toyota still running the oem equipment, never re charged or any work on it. I assume they have moved on from 134a

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A great deal actually. Hence the different name.

Flea7 likes this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I, as indicated above am I believer in g05 but this thread has made me do hours of research and found a diesel manufacturer with wet liners recommending g48 and showing damage ( cyl liner ) if not using the right coolant ....
    I will continue to see if G48 has any additive ( not nitrite ) that help cylinder wall cavitation

I have attached the document - if anyone find anything on g48 that specifically states it is good for cyl wall cavitation please post
    I do see articles about g05 causing issues in aluminum heat exchanges etc - e,g ford raptor

Like i said I would have not given this a second thought until this recurring question has come up again

I understand Brian has seen the proof but wondering if it was the coolant itself or lack of changing or not the g48 type or just a bad cap ( not building enough pressure) ?

I am just having an open mind

Thanks

Attached Files:

tstuli likes this.
  11. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I left this thread earlier, as I refuse to get bullied by expert "elite" members of this forum, that obviously doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
    Going from "Don't use G48, it's not suitable for your engine", "It's not a HOAT, at least not when I checked", to "I don't know what G48 is, you tell me", says it all.

This G05 thing on F-chat is like a hoax on facebook, everyone is sharing but doesn't know why, doesn't know the source or if it's true or not.

So, this is for the open minded people of this forum:

During 2018, I was about to change my coolant.
    Consulting the F430 manual for coolant, page 14, "Recommended lubircants and fluids", and it simply says "Glycoshell".
    So what is Glycoshell? A 774G fluid? A 774D? G13? G30? Who knows.

Getting the latest update from Ferrari dealership service system, the F430 recommendation now states "Glycoshell or CARIX G48".
    CARIX G48 is made by a company called Kemetyl.

So let's call Kemetyl and talk to a chemist, what is CARIX G48.
    Long story short, CARIX G48 is made under license from BASF, Kemetyl recommended me to talk directly to BASF in Germany.
    He also told me that there was only one Ferrari approved manufacturer of coolant, BASF.

So, I called BASF.

At the time when F430 was built, Shell Glycoshell was used at Ferrari as First Fill coolant in the factory.
    However, Shell did not manufacture the coolant themselves, BASF was the manufacturer of GlycoShell coolant. At that time, the formulation of GlycoShell was identical to Glysantin G48.
    Today, Shell works with another manufacturer, and the formulation of Shell's coolant has changed. To BASF's knowledge also the name "GlycoShell" disappeared.

Glysantin G48 has been on the market for more than 30 years, it has always been a HOAT coolant and has not been changed during the years.
    Glysantin G48 is Ferrari Approved for all Ferraris between 1979-2009. Glysantin G48 is exactly the same thing as Shell Glycoshell.
    After 2009 and until today, all new Ferraris have been factory filled with BASF Glysantin G30.

BASF does not recommend using G05 in a Ferrari. Ferrari has never used a a coolant containing nitrite in the F430.
    G05 is for heavy-duty diesel engines, to avoid pitting that is likley to occur on a diesel enginge, because of how a diesel engine works.

So what is Valvoline Zerex G05 and G48?
    It's BASF Glysantin G05 and G48, made by Valvoline under license from BASF. It's not a Valvoline product.

Even Shell says "Nitrit could harm aluminium and cooling systems", and it's a pretty common knowledge.
    Japan had to adapt to NAP-free coolants in the mid 80's, to be able to export heavy-duty diesel machines to europe, as some countries banned nitrite due to the risk of cancer.
    So there is coolants today that are NAP free and used in heavy-duty diesels.

It's not up to debate on what coolant Ferrari have been using for the F430.
    It's BASF Glysantin G48. Nothing else. It's a fact.

If in doubt what to use for your specific car, call the following help lines:

Ferrari, https://www.ferrari.com/ +390536949111
    Kemetyl, https://www.kemetyl.com/ +46850410100
    BASF, https://www.glysantin.de/ +496216047903

You still think all this is a Ferrari conspiracy, BASF doesn't know what they talk about, and you still want to use the Zerex G05 in your Ferrari engine?
    Go ahead, I really don't care.

Sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors, English is not my native language.

BTW, nitrate is used in other things than bombs, coolants for example..

12. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Totally agree. It feels like the whole nitrite based (Zerex G05) thing started because someone heard nitrite is great for wet sleeve motors, saw a photo of a liner with corrosion (unclear to me the cause) and therefore nothing but loading up on nitrites was suitable for these cars. I could find no evidence or proven justifications as to why from anyone or anywhere it’s necessary.

If G48 was destroying motors, I’m sure Ferrari would have had no problems recommending a change.

Even the G30 they use in newer cars is again nitrite free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fenz and flash32 like this.
  13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    My head is spinning again like it is full of the wrong coolant. So the brand/type of coolant does not matter as long as it is changed yearly and do not mix the extended stuff with "regular" coolant?

14. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Of course it matters, if it contains stuff that is harmful to the engine. Don't use G05. Use G48 and change every 3rd year.

15. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Exactly... Probably an old CAT diesel engine... And that's the problem, people don't understand and don't do a research, just assumes.

16. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC

I found this interesting article on the move away from nitrites to other solutions in diesel engines.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_158222377011413&key=9b4686c19ac09d95d56bf86edf31ef8b&libId=k6v369om01000k3x000DA15v32ikh&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ferrarichat.com%2Fforum%2Fthreads%2Fantifreeze-coolant-nerds-help.616919%2Fpage-2%23post-147046086&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com%2Fdownloads%2FDetroit%2520Diesel%2520Coolants.pdf&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ferrarichat.com%2Fforum%2Faccount%2Falerts&title=Antifreeze%20%2F%20Coolant%20Nerds%20-%20HELP%20%7C%20Page%202%20%7C%20FerrariChat&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com%2Fdownloads%2FDetroit%2520Diesel%2520Coolants.pdf

The interesting part is the mention of carboxylic acids and their role in preventing cavitation. 2-EHA (which is in G48) is quite possibly serving this role (note G05 doesn't have 2-EHA).

Shared a few more of my thoughts on coolant selection here- https://gransportmaserati.wordpress.com/2020/02/17/ferrari-f136-coolant-choices/

flash32 likes this.
  17. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Looks like we are right where we were before. Everyone knows but no one knows. I will just change it every year and occasionally look for globs of oil in the coolant. Very easy with Air lift or equivalent tool.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks Brian.
    Finally found a suppler for the Rotella Ultra ELC.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A lot of the modern industrial diesels have such high output per ltr, they have to have high flow rates of coolant to cool the liners and the heads. Only downside is that you can generate cavitation with a high flow rate in these bits or the water space behind the liners. On a big cat marine engine they actually repair the engine block with plastic steel when they have the liners removed, filling in the cavitation damage.
    Dosing the engine with a stronger solution of treatment reduces the degree of cavitation.