355 - Custom conversion of euro side markers | FerrariChat

355 Custom conversion of euro side markers

Discussion in '348/355' started by ruey220, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Has anyone done a conversion of adding side markers to US spec 355? I'm in the process of installing them on mine and will be removing the US reflector on the front bumper by replacing the bumper with a carbon fiber one without the whole to have the proper config.

I also ordered the Euro wiring for the front turn signals and hope to tap into the front signals to light the front side marker turn signals. Has anyone done this mod?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Does the euro side markers only flash on signal and emergency flasher or does it also light with the parking brake?

ShineKen likes this.
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Taz is planning on doing it. I think he already removed the front bumper side reflectors.

Robb

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Only with hazards and turn. To avoid confusion, call them "turn repeaters". You need to splice the turn repeater lamp wiring to the the blue-black and blue wires going to the front turn indicators (on the left and right side respectively). Any earth will be ok for each lamp. The wiring does go through the front luggage compartment relay panel, but this will only really be suitable for splicing in the left side. The right side will be more difficult. You'll need to find something closer on the right side.

Yassa, 308 GTB and ruey220 like this.
  4. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Thanks. Did you do a conversion or did yours come with the turn repeaters?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Mine came with turn repeaters, but my comments were based on the wiring diagrams and parts manual "Electrical" section.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I'm not 100% sure of the routing of the left turn repeater wiring. I have this very vague recollection, the wiring goes directly through the bulkhead into the cabin (where the hazard/turn module is) and not as shown above (???). I would figure out where your existing marker light wiring goes and try to utilise as much of that as you can.

One thing I would be concerned about is the type of hazard/turn module you have. The flash rate can be affected by the number of lamps in the circuit. You may have to buy a Euro module.

MAD828 likes this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    All RoW cars came with the side repeaters.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

phrogs likes this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    You're adding these because you like the look of them or you want it to look like a Euro car?

Just wondering as I deleted side markers via bumper replacement but prefer no additional lights, would not add the euro version.

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I like the look. They are safer. Euro has no side markers in the bumpers, but the side indicators/repeaters are very useful in all cars.

9. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I also am deleting the reflectors in the bumper so I wanted to keep side flashers since the car has absolutely no signaling on the sides indicating you are turning if someone is on the opposite lane from you. Modern cars have this and the shape of the rear signal being flat on the rear panel has no surface for someone from the side to see it flashing. Other cars have signals that wrap around the side where you can see a portion this has nothing.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well I wouldn't say absolutely no signaling on the sides. Technically yes but the rear light protrudes enough to be seen from the side as does the front which wraps around a bit. Even from a dead side view they can be seen but agreed not as well as an additional light on the fender.

I guess I've never been totally about safety however as this car now has no airbags, 5mph bumpers or side reflectors.

First thing I did when I got a new bike as a kid was remove the reflectors as well :D

ruey220 likes this.
  11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I used to secure playing cards to the fork with clothespins. I never could get that F1 sound with them. :D

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Haha nope! Not even 80's knobbies overinflated on pavement got close.

Slipping a pedal trying to land a set of doubles and blasting a bear trap into my shin resulted in a rather high pitched noise but still again, nothing like that F1 sound. :D

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky