488 - Why are Pistas not selling ? | FerrariChat

488 Why are Pistas not selling ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texas2step, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The 488 Pista is arguably the best car in its segment. Quick search on autotrader showed about 32 Pista coupes for sale in the US most at dealerships and not moving over several months. Is it price, spec or something else?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From economic POV you can always argue that it's because price is over the demand curve.

GuyIncognito and crinoid like this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Long sold out and all of those are well over MSRP. People trying to flip and make a profit. Even the cheapest one listed is still 30k over MSRP.

RWP137, tfazio, crinoid and 1 other person like this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

Because there are less than 32 very rich people who are very smart with their money and able to control their desire at the same times.

Wegentop, F2003-GA, Jordan68 and 5 others like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Actually, my review of the data suggests that really only 2 cars are even moving at all: Pista and 2005/2006 FGT. I follow more than 200 cars; a mix of 675LT, 720S, GT2 RS, GT3 RS, Huracan Performante, SVJ, F12, 812, 488, 458 Speciale, and the two aforementioned cars. I also follow ZR1 and the new GT500; both of which are moving briskly and not really in the same class or market as the others.

Anecdotally nothing is moving. The market is largely at a standstill. Naturally, we’re in the dead of winter, but the sluggish market started several months back. Noteworthy too, sellers are not reducing prices like you might expect they would. Sellers appear content to maintain their position, and buyers are happy to wait for sellers to blink. It’s very nearly a standstill. Of course, YMMV, I’ve seen perfect spec, perfect miles, perfect price cars move in days...

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agree. General market looks like a standstill. Really great spec, condition, miles may sell better. Pista in particular is well overpriced. More desire to sell than purchase. Lots of reasons as discussed.

7. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Think it’s pathetic that Ferrari gives these cars mostly to people who just want to flip them for a quick profit while other great customers who actually want to own and drive them are left out!! Hope nobody buys them in the secondary market (and prices drop below MSRP) but I’m sure that won’t be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

PTG1, Jordan68, Jaguar36 and 4 others like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If there is no appetite for paying over, then sellers will have no choice but to lower prices. Supply vs demand. Seems like there is little demand to pay more than MSRP.

9. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think that is the case for most.........many traded in because they got a Spider allocation. Anyone buying a 500k car (and possibly having to buy Lusso as well) is not looking to flip it for 50k ..........there are other reasons (in most cases) IMO.

Rrr1 and Shadowfax like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where do you come up with that? 1000 or so Pista in the us, maybe 30 for sale?? 3%??

raclaims, Caeruleus11 and mkraft3003 like this.
  11. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Pretty spot on from someone who does this daily as well. You can add speedster to the mix as well, market has been softening on those as well. Cars are definitely sitting, picked up an 2020 r8 performance(at a discount) to hold me over till I find the next toy.

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Just came from the Festivals of Speeds (FL) and a new Pista (200 miles) fully loaded asking MSRP. Gorgeous black with yellow accents.

In no hurry to surrender my 458 spider just yet, so I'll wait it out and see how things develop.

If I'm not mistaken, the steering wheel now has separate high beam push buttons? One ON and one OFF (???).

LOL, I love Ferrari!

clandestine likes this.
  13. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I agree most of the 30 Pistas for sale have owners who have or will have Pista Spiders, they are not trading for an F8. So what are they trading in their Pista for? Maybe a a few are receiving a Superfast Spider. Also now that Pista production is ending with no real new great new alternatives to the Pista from Porsche, McLaren or Lambo the demand will remain strong, so why sell at a discount to today’s value? The Pista may even increase until a great alternative appears.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Yeah agreed. I'd argue there's just significantly more made than previous special editions.

15. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    The owners saw SoCal to AZ’s spec and decided to dump their cars and start over!

Ash Patel, LVP488, Cigarzman and 2 others like this.
  16. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    1,000 Pista’s in the US? Really? Where did you source that number? Seems high but I wouldn’t really know living here in Australia

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Could be less. Could be more. I don't have a clue as there have been a million threads on F chat trying to determine the number of Pista. It was just a guess o my part.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Probably more Pista than Speciale but not sure what that has to do with anything.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Any car that comes out there will be people selling. There are like 20 Mclaren Sennas on the market today. How many 812? Look at the number of GT2rs - a car that was supposedly going to appreciate to a million bucks according to some when it came out.

Point is, no matter the car, there will always be some for sale. I dont think 30 out of a 1000 (or whatever the number is) is indicative of anything. Its just normal business as usual.

Shadowfax and IloveGT like this.
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They’re selling. They’re just not RE selling. lol

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And I don't think guys who booked Pistas two or three years ago expected Ferrari to head-fake everyone and do a third run car on the same chassis with the same 710hp engine. They probably thought that they were buying the last and best iteration. Now there's talk of an F8 special edition and Pista owners are probably feeling a little caught in the middle.

When was the last time they did that, the Mondial? (3.0/3.2/T) Everyone was so used to 348/355, 360/430... that 458/488/F8 was unexpected. Going back to Mondial and 308 to see 9-13(!) year runs of the same chassis.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The F8 VS would be a tough pill to swallow but perhaps if the V6 is ready they won't further the abuse. I count eleven versions of the 458 - GTB, Spider, Special, Special A, 488, 488 Spider, Pista, Pista Piloti, Pista Spider, F8, and F8 Spider. That's a lot of 458's!

ryalex likes this.
  23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And to be fair, we are still at less than a third of the total versions that Porsche does of each 911 iteration! Between base, S, 4, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, GT3, targa, conv't, etc. I think I counted 22 versions of the 991 for sale at one time. Which is a main reason why profit per car is so high. 40+ years of evolution, endless configuration, yet so many common parts.

swede and Solid State like this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Senna GTR and Bugatti Divo both over.

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

So i'm in the car business, i buy & sell classic Air cooled 911's and you are right on point "The market is at a standstill" people are just asking too much money right now, and buyers aren't biting, however the sellers aren't moving down on price either..so we shall see what happens, something has to give soon..a happy medium will be found.