New 458 Owner - Wheel Rim Question | FerrariChat

New 458 Owner - Wheel Rim Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello to the group,

I recently purchased my first Ferrari, a 2015 458 Italia. I named her "Giada" after the famous celebrity chef Giada De Laurentiis. What an absolutely epic car!!! My 458 has the Ferrari Forged Titanium rims (per dealer) and I'm curious if anyone else here has them on their 458? I found them in the Ferrari Collection book, but they do not offer much information on them. Are they really solid Titanium?

They are pristine with no curb rash, or even a scratch. They remind me of spider legs... I'm wondering if there are any special issues with removing Titanium rims and mounting new tires? Is a special tire machine needed, or can the one at the Ferrari dealer work? Just want to make sure they do not get damaged when I replace the current tires. Cheers and thanks in advance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

spyder625 likes this.
  2. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi Steve,
    no they are not. They are made of Aluminum alloy.
    Titanium is the name of the dark gray color.
    I hope it helps, and welcome!

3. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! The "natural born skeptic" in me was on full tilt when I heard that one. Regardless, they look awesome and they remind me of spider legs... Cheers and thanks!

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Congrats! Giada is beautiful! Enjoy in good health.

6. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    congrats and welcome to the family...

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Congrats. As was said, no, they are not titanium wheels. Be glad they are not, they would weigh almost three times as much if they were.

It's a wheel offered as an aftersales alternative. Not many were sold, but I' actually prefer that design of all the 458 rims. It's not as light as the normal forged 458 wheels, but they look good. Have fun:)

As for your dealer saying they are titanium alloy? That sets off alarms in my head though. If a dealer would say something so odd and wrong, where are the limits to his dishonesty? That would in fact have been a dealbreaker for me, as it would render his trustworthiness zero.

Again, enjoy the car, hope you get thousands upon thousands of miles on it. It's a car, don't shelf it;)

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Btw, any reputable tyre shop with proper equipment can change the tyres. They are "just wheels" after all. Getting them damaged during a tyre change, is more a matter of whether the guy doing the change, is careless and use the wrong tools. I've seen wheels damaged by both Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and McLaren dealers, so that in itself is no guarantee. My personal experience is that a race shop that really care about cars, performance, racing etc. have a tendency to be the best choice. They care and they often like doing things right as it's part of their "hobby" and passion. At the end of the day, just make sure whom ever you get to change tyres understands that they came in without a scratch, and what ever damage is done, is fixed on their dime.

9. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Those are some sick wheels! Love that look.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rexcat458 likes this.
  10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks and Cheers!

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to learning from the group about all things Ferrari after thirty-two years of being a die hard Mercedes-Benz fanatic. Cheers!

12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information! I do plan to drive her, even though some say going past 10K miles on a Ferrari is the kiss of death when it comes time to sell it... As for me, this is the only car I've ever owned in my life that I have no plans to sell, ever! Cheers!

13. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the info... I will look into a dedicated racing shop, there should be some in the Houston area. I'm always uneasy when I get new tires though... I stand in the bay and watch the tires being mounted if possible. I've had too many problems over the years to "hope and pray" that the job is done correctly. Been there, done that and got a case of the T-shirts to prove it. Cheers!

14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I loved them from the get-go. They are not at all like the other Ferrari 458 wheels, but they are awesome looking for sure! Cheers!

15. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John

16. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John

The whole 10k is just a bunch of #$#%$%. I remember hearing the same thing 10 years ago. Drive the car. Enjoy the car. I have met so many 458 owners with 15-20k + miles, I lost count. Every single one of them seems very, VERY happy they did.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep. Half the time people who say that, have never even sat in a Ferrari.
    A car you don't drive, has no value, simple as. A 458 is not a 250 Lusso or a 330 GTS. It will NOT retain its value like those. There were thousands made, and if you want one, buy one. No matter what you do, they will continue to depreciate for some time, even if you don't drive it. It will age and while it may become a classic of sorts one day in the distant future, that time is not now. It will be compared to its newer siblings for some time, and as long as that is going on, many will prefer the newer and faster models.

Enjoy it and use it, it would be a damn shame not to.