2020 rule/ changes/updates | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2020 rule/ changes/updates

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

if Ferrari have learned nothing from last year lol :)

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sharknose and G. Pepper like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    635CSI and lorenzobandini like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's all good news to me. I am glad that the combustion engine is fighting back.
    It's "crime" was to use fossile fuel, but that can be avoided with synthetic fuel.
    Remarkable that the 2-stroke, buried only a few years ago, could make a spectacular come-back and be a solution.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. And I ?....Model airplane engines ;): Nnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg........,................. :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    One of the developers of the original 2 stroke engine was trying to mimic the steam engine. The piston steam engine (locomotive) hits on both sides of the piston. No lost motion!

william and G. Pepper like this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If F1 is trying to be more into advanced street car development, Do away with all down force and strictly mechanical grip?

william likes this.
  9. Lost motion smotion.Tourquey they were....'not very efficient tho'. The four stroke diesel electrics have relegated them to museums, and historic fantasy tours......;)
    The Wankel had it's advantages too. Few moving parts, powerful, and compact.

'Notice, have you, that they're both gone? ;)

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have raised this argument for a long time. The rebuttal is "where would they hang their advertising?

william likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have been an advocate of a downforce limit for a long time.
    It would be very easy to regulate too.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The two stroke engine: trying to make a glorious come back since they stopped building the Trabant. I´ll believe it when I see it.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Of course you can mention the smoky Trabant if you want to ridicule 2-stroke, but you could also mention the last 500cc engines from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki before MotoGP . They had buried the 4-stroke in term of thermic efficiency, power-to-weight ration and horsepower-per-liter. The 2-stroke engine has many advantages compared to the 4-stroke, less moving parts and less friction among them. Cheaper to manufacture too !!!

2-stroke is another technology that risks falling behind because it was abandonned for expedient marketing reasons at the time.
    Wait, the same also happened to ... electric power at the begining of last century. Look at it now !!!
    Even steam power could make a comeback for some applications ...

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Come on, I´ve heard the same story every time someone tried to sell a new "revolutionary" two stroke engine. Less parts, blah, blah. Yet, nothing happened.

I know how a two stroke engine works. I also know that they´re rude, noisy, less durable (yes, cheaper, simpler, but no lubrication --> they wear). And a small problem: more pollutant. And they´re already having trouble to get the 4-strokes within the pollution limits. The issue is a lot more complex than some "marketing reasons".

Yes, I know that some still are working on the idea. Fuel injection, lubrication systems, counter rotating stuff to eliminate the vibrations... But I still haven´t seen those engines on the road.

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The replacement of F1 is already here. In a journal on cinematography I came across the new series on Hypercar racing. It uses highly turned drifter cars of various configurations, racing each other through a high tech obstacle course complete with water traps, elevation changes, surface changes and required maneuvers...and of course the "obstacles." The track is filled with dramatic lighting effects that constantly change, camera rigged all over the course and in every car, all set in a "Bladerunner" looking set...the old Kodak factory and plant in Rochester, New York. The production is in the hands of action reality people who's credits include "BattleBots." The cars have more graphics than an MS 13 assassin has tattoos. If they'd only bring in the now unemployed grid girls and make it into "Naked and Afraid Racing, I'd be hooked.

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You said you know how a 2-stroke works, yet you went on to say no lubrication. You don't know how they work.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Jeez, I suppose I have to be literal to get understood. Or are you just being finicky for the sake of it?

lorenzobandini likes this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Last yr Ferrari knew exactly what tires they were getting, and were fully aware of what those tires represented based on the prior yr races where they were used. Ferrari still could not get it right (especially the MED) and it cost them several races. So here's hoping they maybe are beginning to learn.

DF1 likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the definitive tyres for 2019 were only tried at the post-season testing, so it was not so easy to figure them out.

I think they kept these tyres for 2020 just to remove a variable, even if they´re crap.

20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Were they really that different than those used at Spanish and British GP's earlier that yr?

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Same construction (the infamous thinner rubber) but different compounds, IIRC.

jcurry likes this.
  22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Some of the new variations on two strokes. Lubrication like a 4 stroke, forced induction in the ports
    no fuel injected till piston is near TDC and all ports are closed. Think like GMC two stroke diesel. Supercharger forced air in to ring of ports, Fuel injected at top, but no spark. Spark with gasoline.

william and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'm familiar with all the tech they have going into them these days.

Certainly the last thing I'd want to hear is a 2-stroke V-6 buzzwailing away down the track.

Just give us back V-10's and be done with it!

Sharknose likes this.
  24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I will take the screaming V10s any day.

Sharknose likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't think there would be any manufacturer interest in NA engines without hybrid power anymore. They have an eco image to maintain now.

william likes this.