Where's Preston Henn's 275/GTB/C? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where's Preston Henn's 275/GTB/C?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by NYC Fred, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I believe he owned the 275 since 1969-70 when it was not a multi million dollar car. Others he has had for a long time as well.

carguyjohn350 and Rifledriver like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Cars? Preston was at the top of Gulfstream’s customer list. I think he bought the first G650. He lived in Hillsboro Beach with other certified billionaires. He had a lot of business interests, including several Swap Shop operations. And his racing exploits weren’t just vanity indulgences. He was a serious racer with Le Mans entries and a driver roster that included names like Foyt, Wollek, Sullivan, Mears, Holbert, Gregg and Ballot-Lena.....a who’s who of the 935-956/962 era. Foyt’s drive in the Swap Shop Andial 935 Moby Dick to win at Daytona in 1983 was epic.

The last I heard, as of last week, 06885 is in a shop having some things attended to. It wouldn't be polite to name the shop.;)

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Did anyone look for the car inside the 650?

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    My pics of 06885 were from October 11, 2014 at Ferrari's 60th Anniversary show in Beverley Hills, CA.

5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    My sister's best friend's husband owns JetEdge that sold Prestons G650 to a Japanese buyer, Preston grossed $12ish Million profit on the deal minus JetEdgs'e commission (I have no clue how much that was) but I think they sold it to the Japanese buyer in 2014.

Lots of people put orders in for new in-demand jets hoping to sell their position for a profit to others who do not want to sit out the wait which could be 5+ years for some models.

I was this close to getting a position on a Honda Jet back in the day not to keep the plane but to sell the position as Preston did.

He was big wheeler-dealer, always into something to make a buck.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'm told he paid $58.5 million for the 650er just to flip it for a profit.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Prestons was the 4th G650

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He lied to me!

I kid.
    ;)

ChipG likes this.
  9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Who knows, maybe the first 3 stayed with Gulfstream as demonstrators? But I know his was the 4th one made.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I only recall because I took my 275 that year and remember thinking there was no better 275 in the world than 06885. I have seen it several times...Malcolm

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Preston purchased 06885 on 15 July 1969.

Marcel Massini

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I think it would be worth more. Much rarer, more developed, but hardly suffering from modern technology.

If I had to choose one for free I would take Preston's 275.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Fascinating car. I've never been one for yellow, but one has to admire a car as iconic as that. Now, as for the venue it sat in for so many years, thankfully it isn't there any longer. Sorry, but I'd much rather something that special is admired in a more appropriate setting. Although, the Beverly Hills Concours was perfect. I hope it ends-up in the stewardship of a great owner. I can think of a handful that I think would be ideal. They are both great caretakers and who share/show their cars in only the finest venues. I certainly hope it makes its way back to the Cavallino Classic some day. It belongs on a significant stage.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I respectfully disagree.

Preston displayed his car (and others) at that venue because he was a true enthusiast, not some wine and cheese concours snob. He was a real "character" who shared his love for cars and racing with everyone and anyone. A once refreshing breath of air in a circle full of uptight blue blazers.

Having his 275 on display to the "common" man made it possible to inspire a whole new generation of Ferrari enthusiasts. Imagine how many young kids saw that car there at the Swap Shop and then went on to learn about Ferrari, Le Mans, etc!!! No doubt an experience that they would never had had if it weren't for Preston.

IMO the owners of these cars are stewards of the brand's "soul" and should do everything they can to ensure as many people as possible can experience the magic of such an iconic creation.

But what do I know? After all I believe the owners who selfishly hoard them away only to be trailered to the occasional concours should be beaten profusely with a mid 80's timing belt!!! :)

Forza!!!!

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Nothing wrong with respectful disagreement amongst friends.

HotShoe and Boomhauer like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So were the long nose 275 comp cars but as valuable as they have become they will never fetch GTO prices.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #42 Rifledriver, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    The problem with that is I get to travel who knows how many miles to see it and if I go to Cavallino or Pebble I get to see a great many cars I want to see.

You may call it selfishly hoarded away but then contradict yourself when you bring up it going to a concours.
    None of those big events would even exist if the owners were as you describe them to be. In my opinion we owe them a debt of gratitude for keeping this part of history alive.

simchanova and G. Pepper like this.
  18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I didn't say they shouldn't do concours. I said they shouldn't ONLY do select concours and hide them away in storage the rest of the time. I'm talking about the guy that shows at Pebble maybe once every five years (just for increased value) and then locks it away never to be seen. I am NOT talking about someone like Bruce Meyer who shares and shows his cars at every opportunity.

I'm for having people see them at as many places as possible. Even a flea market. :)

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well I guess we have pretty different perspectives. It is great when they have them out and about and I like that as much as anyone but also knowing a number of collectors who have a strong desire but in some cases a real need to be very private. I just cannot fault them for it. My perspective of that is if I feel so strongly about it, buy the cars and do as I please with them.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Preston Henn’s collection was a remarkable one. He was a colorful and controversial character, to put it lightly. I’m a capitalist, so I certainly don’t begrudge the man for doing as he pleased with his property. But, let’s not over interpret his intentions. He planted those cars in that Swap Shop to bring in people. Again, more power to him. But, if his sole desire was to inspire little children to dream big, he could have shown his cars at a multitude of various shows all over the country, or just simply in his own state of Florida, many of which are free and most aren’t like “Pebble Beach” or “Cavallino”. There are a endless options a man of his means could have exercised. After all, what bout the thousands of other children who would never go to the Swap Shop? I’m just hoping that his 275 (and all the other great cars he owned) will now fall into the hands of great collectors who will share them with many.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably fulfilled his accountants requirement to take some kind of tax deduction for them. I never got the feeling from dealing with him he did it because he was "a man of the people".

kylec, GatorFL and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hush yo mouth.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There's a guy in Houston, "Mattress Mac," who keeps a F-40 on the showroom floor. On any given day, there are kids crawling all over it. Some of you might object, but I like it.

To me, they're just cars. Really, really, cool cars, but they're just cars. I hate the idea of them being considered as works of art. Then again, I'm not in the restoration business.

furmano, Jakuzzi, NürScud and 3 others like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well I too consider them just cars but not just rental cars but then I take care of my stuff.....all of it.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  25. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    You should check out @sharetheenzo on Instagram.

Great guy who drives the hell out of his Enzo and shares it with everyone.

NürScud, Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.