550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help ! | FerrariChat

550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scraggy, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I am a pretty experienced Ferrari owner who has owned about 15 such cars, including 458SA and Pista Spider. Maybe 10 V12s.

I am tiring of the Ferrari new car and special versions merry go round. This is being accelerated by the current aggressive pricing policy and lack of residual value on all mainstream cars. The Pista Spider I have is softening fast. I am not proceeding with my 812 GTS, I had an 812.

I think owning these lighting fast racy cars is going to be increasingly difficult in societal terms.

I am thinking of signing off and keeping one car ultra long term (I have a daily driver). My budget is sub £400K. Ideally less.

Am thinking of a 550 Barchetta, probably with an after market exhaust but otherwise Classiche.

I know the roof is a joke but would only use on special days.

It is analogue, manual V12, open top, lovely seats and modular wheels. Numbered car, Pininfarina angle.

I turned a mint one down at about £150k 8/9 years ago, but need to get over it. UK RHD are £3/400,000 now but suspect room for a haggle.

Thoughts incredibly welcome, on merits and residuals. No need to hold back.

Thanks so much.

Caeruleus11, JAM1, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unless it'll spend the majority of it's time somewhere with a decent climate and safe enough to leave unattended with the roof up when parked (read: erm...Monaco really)....I just can't see someone putting up with the **** roof.

The aftermarket roof solutions all look awkward, and I don't think you can simply take it off when on the run, either...need to store it in the house.

Love the 550B but only in Monaco really. Leave the roof packed in and never put it up.

812 GTS or a cheap Carrera GT any time.

3. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Living in the warm climate of australia, convertibles are just too hot and exposed for me. That said, the barchatta is probably the only convertible i would consider, mostly for the analog reasons you mentioned Scrags.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I get where ur coming from...don’t love the barchetta personally but ur conclusions makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I was fortunate to spend an entire weekend in a Barchetta a decade ago, including track time, and it's a really special car. Great lines, cropped windshield, and beautiful interior with the sport seats. Drive-wise, the 550 offers one of the best manual experiences of any car ever made, and I agree with adding an aftermarket exhaust, because it will ensure you never wish it had a top :)

I also agree that there is still room to haggle.

I think the car was somewhat misunderstood in its first 10-15 years and the soft resale values reflected that. Now as it's approaching its 20th birthday, it's entering classic territory and I think the values are just starting their ascent. I think it's interesting to see what 512Ms are bringing now, when I saw examples trade for less than a third their current asks not even 10 years ago.

I think time will be kind to the Barchetta and we'll see that and more ultimately - when you think of it, there's really nothing else like it 25 years before or since, SuperAmerica included. For your intended purpose and pricepoint, I really think it's the best choice.

JAM1, LARRYH, root and 1 other person like this.
  6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Thanks for helpful comments keep them coming

I guess Monza SP1 and 2 price point and practicality (helmets etc) assist Barchetta

I had a 575 SA HGTC lovely car but gearbox very disappointing and can’t afford/find an RHD manual

812 GTS can’t mention in same breath provenance wise - freely available and to my eyes at least a parts bin car with that 488 roof and I can’t abide the rear end design. I think the Roma has aged it badly. Plus it’s silly money fully loaded. Without wishing to dampen anyone’s excitement

ewright and rampante550 like this.
  7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    16M ,maybe you already had one?

rampante550 likes this.
  8. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Lovely car but hard to own after a 458SA and not a fan of the gearbox (see 575SA comment above).

Thanks though.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ahhh ok so a manual is a must then.430 Spider MT wouldn't be a bad choice for UK i guess.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the Barchetta is an excellent choice, but given that you live here in sunny England, I suggest you pair it with a regular 550 for the few(!) rainy days we enjoy(!).

Il Tifoso, haroonok and rampante550 like this.
  11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Which place has the lowest rainfall a year - London, Orlando or Sydney. London. The whole rain thing is a misnomer in S East England.

rampante550 likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It was not a misnomer when I lived in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire for 6 years. Suffolk only got 22 inches a year, but it came in hundreds of dollops of very light rain. Orlando and Sydney get heavy rainfall interspersed with long periods of sunshine.

Themaven and EastMemphis like this.
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan

F456M likes this.
  15. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Yes Terry it’s obviously a trick question. Have to say it rarely rains in London and the UK is obsessed with convertibles as the climate is perfect, not too hot or cold for them.

16. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Go ahead and buy it. It’s ok to hit an occasional downpour. It’s nice to avoid video game gauges, cup holders, and a NAV system. The manual box is the only way to fly.

root, JAM1, NYC Fred and 1 other person like this.
  18. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    LOL

ralfabco likes this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    ScottS, Il Tifoso and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    No way I am going to talk someone out of a 550 Barchetta. Probably my favorite modern Ferrari (if you exclude the 288 GTO from consideration). Best of luck with whatever you decide.

rampante550, sixcarbs and ralfabco like this.
  21. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Am I the only one who thinks its kind of ugly even with the roof down..and up...what can I say! I would take a 458 SA over one any day of the week. Add to which getting parts (and some very normal ones like a Radiator) has become impossible for even a 550M..god only knows how bad it will be for a Barchetta.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I think they are very attractive, rare, and great for a mild climate. There are actually some better tops out there, too, if they still make them.

Attached Files:

JAM1, Caeruleus11 and ralfabco like this.
  23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would jump on it. Everything is right on that car except the exhaust. But that can be done easily. Having had a 550 Maranello for soon seven years, I still is very excited about its beauty, simplicity and share build quality. A Barchetta would be the ultimate. Get one in a crazy cool color combination!! And drive the heck out of it. You can’t wear out a 550!

Fennicus and ralfabco like this.
  24. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    A friend owned one from new for a few years and I remember him saying that you got less wet by just speeding up a bit if it rained, as the rain would mostly blow over the cockpit, whereas if you stopped you'd get soaked while you were faffing about trying to put the roof on.

That said, it seems to me the problem with the 550 Barchetta is that the strength of the 550 is really in longer journeys. It is a brilliant continental cruiser. But you can't really use the Barchetta for that and it doesn't sound like that is the intended use in this case anyway.

ScottS and rampante550 like this.
  25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

With a reasonable quick shower you don't receive all that much water inside of the car. Most of the water appears to concentrate just behind the headrests and drips from the top, of the windshield. A simple terry towel will help quite a bit.

The worst part of the entire experience is the feeling other drivers around you can't understand why you would drive with the top down, in the rain. What kind of a person would drive a convertible in the rain. You don't find too many 6 cylinder convertible Mustang owners driving in the rain, with the top down.

F456M likes this.