Looking for a “first car” for my niece. | FerrariChat

Looking for a “first car” for my niece.

Discussion in 'New England' started by ronfrohock, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Just thought I would check here.
    She, and my brother, would prefer some sort of SUV but would consider anything that’s in decent shape.
    Budget is $5K.
    Let me know if you have anything that fits this criteria.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OK, so this is funny. In 2018 we ordered a new 2019 Porsche Panamera to replace my wife's 2001 Jaguar S-Type. We offered to give the Jag to our niece (wife's sister's kid). Her sister came back and said no because she wanted a reliable car for her. Excuuuuuuse me! :D

It's 2 years later and Ron I would give you the car, but unfortunately as nice as the car looks, and as mechanically well as it operates, 18 NE winters has really taken its toll in rust on the frame and other critical parts. We're using it through this winter when there is a lot of salt on the roads, but it really isn't a good car for long term. If you think you may really want it, let me know. Otherwise in April I'm donating it to the Salvation Army and taking the tax write off.

ronfrohock likes this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have a few fairly nice ones in that range, all FL cars with no rust! I guess the problem is that they are all in FL....

ronfrohock likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #4 BJK, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Just an observation/curious only. Florida isn't the Arizona desert. It's SURROUNDED by salt water. :) Are Florida cars considered any LESS rusty than other states cars? I would think the opposite.
    Ever see a bicycle left out at the beach? Rusts overnight. (no winter sand/salt tho)

First car - I laugh every time I see that commercial where the son is getting the old 'battle wagon' passed down from the parents, his sister, and now him. He's exasperated, " HOW AM I GOING TO DRIVE THIS???!!! " Been there kid!

ronfrohock likes this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    A 1996-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ is a great first car

-dependable 4.0 I6
    -4x4 when needed
    -easy to drive and capable
    -cheap to maintain and fix if something breaks, millions of spare parts available.

I've owned 4 so I'm a bit biased, but they're amazing and great east coast rigs.

ronfrohock likes this.
  6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    If one lives at the beach and parks there 24/7, yes they rust. I am no where near a beach. No salt spray, no salted roads in winter, no rust.

ronfrohock and BJK like this.
  7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Not recommending these guys but they have neat stuff in that price range. I own a 2007:Liberty with a 6 speed and although they receive no cred, mine has been a tank, low maintenance, everything always works, no rattles, made during the MB era, lots of room but a little hard on gas with the 3.7. Engine light has been on for four years now with 160k. Perfect for the dogs and real 4wd for trails. here’s the neat stuff.http://www.roverclassic.com/index.php?page=other-cars-stock

ronfrohock likes this.
  8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Wow! Great resource. Thanks!

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Thanks for the help.
    Car purchased.
    A 2008 Ford Escape from a family friend. One owner, low miles and a great price. Thanks

Nospinzone, Purch23 and Isobel like this.
  10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hope they gave you a free 2 year power train warranty! (just kidding :D)

Actually I came back to this thread to tell you that we sold my wife's 2001 Jag S-Type. A guy from RI wanted it to work on and restore.

ronfrohock likes this.