Adding a parking brake to F355 Challenge | FerrariChat

Adding a parking brake to F355 Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by KMR968Turbo, Apr 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I bought an F355 Challenge and part of the inspection that it needs to pass to be street legal requires the car to have a non hydraulic parking brake. I am looking at doing something similar to the parking brake on a Gallardo except only one side. I know Wilwood makes an ebrake caliper kit or I could just buy a Gallardo caliper and adapt it. Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar.

2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My car uses the 355 handbrake mechanism. The rotor has been machined off leaving just the the strandard drum for the parking brake - its essentially an O.E solution and works fine

A new hat has been machined to hold the challenge rotor and you also need slightly longer wheel studs ( or bolts ) to accomodate the extra thickness of the standard rotor.

Work was arranged by the previous owner.

M

3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Excellent! Thanks for the insight. Do you have pictures? If not, just so that I understand completely, can you correct what I believe was done (see below)?

1. Machine parking brake assembly from stock one piece brake rotor and hat
    2. Weld parking brake assembly to two piece Challenge hat and rotor
    3. Assemble stock cable and linkage

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes
    No. The stock one piece brake rotor and the newly fabricated challenge hat are not welded togehter.
    However there are a couple of small bolts that hold them together, (these bolts thread in to holes that are already present in the stock brake rotor). I don't think these bolts do much - simply as an assembly aid

The new hat and stock rotor are essentially clamped together by the wheel bolts / studs. In any case the hat is made of aluminium, can't be welded to the stock rotor brake drum anyway.

Yes

M

5. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #5 KMR968Turbo, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Again, thanks for the help. I am a little unclear on the hub modifications needed. I've attached parts diagrams of the stock and Challenge rear brake configurations. If I understand correctly, on the stock system you cut off the rotor from the one piece assembly leaving the rotor hat with the inner surface that the parking brake shoes push up against. Correct?

Then on the Challenge assembly you take the rotor hat, part 12, and somehow insert the parking assembly into it? Or do you discard part 12 and modify the rotor hat you cut up in the previous paragraph so that it will accept the Challenge rotor, part 11?

Sorry to be a pain but I just want to be 100% sure I understand what is needed for this modification.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
  7. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for the tip. I sent them an e-mail :)

8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Quick update for anyone interested, I received a prompt reply from Frank with Modena Engineering. He says they have done a lot of these conversions and he is going to look for the blueprints. I have asked about purchasing the conversion parts from him and he is willing to put something together for me once he finds the blue prints. Very impressed with his quick email replies from the far side of the planet. Thank you for the tip. Will keep you updated.

9. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Another update, I ended up purchasing the entire rear brake components for my car. This included the parking brake cables, rotors, parking brake assembly and rear calipers. Installation was straight forward however I then needed to buy new wheel bolts so that I could install the Challenge wheels. The car passed inspection and I have returned it to the original configuration. I phoned Frank at Modena Engineering and he is a colorful guy. He has made a center hat that would accept a parking brake for some "rich blokes" who wanted a parking brake on their Challenge cars. He hasn't made them in a while but said that he could do them again if given some time. Sounds like he machined them out of solid billet and he needs to locate the blueprint that he used to create them. The cost I believe was around $1500. I may still go this route if I need a parking brake. Just thought I would add a comment here to let anyone else know that may be interested.

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There were no " Rich blokes who wanted a parking brake on their Challenge cars".
    It was a requirement for putting them through Australian compliance so you could get the things registered for road use. No handbrake, no compliance, no registration, simple as that.
    Frank Cappo's bits are beautifully made and the handbrake works well.

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

They sure did, I paid for it when I sold my (your) car to Ted F.

12. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Pretty much the same reason I needed one. As I said, Frank is a colorful guy. ;)

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yes and no. I just put the standard 355 rear brakes on for compliance then took them off again. Total cost $200. I have the hydraulic parking brake, which obviously is excellent.

Well...I DID have, Now Moretti does.

14. rb4u

rb4u Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    I wonder how many people doing this kind of conversion?

15. m80hot

m80hot Formula Junior

May 15, 2006
    manchester uk
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Speak to john Greatorex at gt cars ltd ... He has designed and built a kit that fits in the brembo race brakes and makes use of a standard brake handle and cables

I have it to pass uk mot which it did better than a standard 355 brake !

16. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you have details on the kit? Does it use a drum or caliper for an ebrake? Approx how expensive is the kit? What is it like to install?

ruey220 likes this.
  17. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    any updates on these parking brake conversions for people with challenge brakes in the rear?

18. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Norman R
    Put this back up to the top. Not sure the suggested companies from 7 years ago exist or are still making parts. Anyone have any experience with this recently?

19. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    You need to source from the breakers the required parts and it just bolts on.

TangoUniform likes this.