Ferrari dealer will not touch a car with salvage history wth | FerrariChat

Ferrari dealer will not touch a car with salvage history wth

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Carl wilson, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    Why not I ask just need them to reset some things they will not hook up a scanner

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Model? Location?

How did they know it had a salvage title?

BOKE likes this.
  3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    You can always reset it yourself with a BT OBD2

4. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    I told them my story and history as to why I needed them to hook up a scanner to clear my epb control codes and they asked if it had a salvage title after the incident I said it had one but I’ve had the car inspected and was issued a clear title. And he said no Ferrari dealer will touch a car with salvage history. That I needed to go elsewhere . I asked where and suggested a collision repair center may have a Leonardo scanner

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Carl,

It would be very useful to know:

1. Where you are located. Perhaps we even know a shop.
    2. What year
    3. What mode
    4. What code, specifically. More details is better than fewer.
    5. Some history if that is relevant. You never know.

BOKE likes this.
  6. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
  7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Care to disclose the Ferrari dealer so they can be avoided?

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Are there faults (such as a failed parking brake) that you have not addressed, and you're hoping to just clear the codes - or, are there faults that have been addressed, and the codes were not cleared after the repair?

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Bring it to me, we will check and clear codes for you.

If there are additional faults or malfunctions that will not reset, we will give you the list. Then you can decide what you want to do.

Send me a private message and we can schedule you in.

Steve

LARRYH, Caphill, JL350 and 3 others like this.
  10. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    I have repaired everything on this car to the best of my knowledge but still have abs - epb-service suspension-heated driver seat error-and can’t get trunk lock to release and Tpm error. Need codes cleared and see what comes back if anything

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I doubt a dealer wants a salvage car hooked to there diagnostics as it goes straight to Ferrari and may cause them (the dealer) issues. I understand it but it is still an issue. There are many of us (independents) that will help you.

F2003-GA, JL350, windsock and 2 others like this.
  12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

For real Wade? What's their rationale? It's still a Ferrari.

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    How would the diagnostic system (or Ferrari HQ) know title info??

14. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    I just bought an autel ms906ts
    Autel said it would do everything I need it to do
    We will see when it gets here thanks for all the info

15. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I did not use the word retaliation and that is not the word I would use.
    Each car that is connected to the system for diagnosis is "logged". Cars have to be acknowledged when worked on, how long it is in the shop, how many days down etc, all counts toward how the dealer "looks" to the factory. It is not retaliation, it is management. I don't know for a fact, but I can imagine that a salvage title car could "look" bad in the system and dealers just want to avoid that. I suspect that is one reason dealers don't want your car sitting in there shop waiting in line to be serviced, doesn't look good in the system. So, no retaliation is not an issue. System management is.

16. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Same as CarFax knows. Public knowledge and Ferrari watches. What if a rebuild is later crashed and the estate wants to blame Ferrari for having a faulty product. They know it is a salvage and that takes them out of it. Further more they can show that there "network" won't even support that kind situation. I don't blame them, they are a huge target if something like that were to happen.

17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Wade, thanks for your reply, but I didn't use the word "retaliation". I used the word "rationale" and I wanted to know what the dealer's rationale (reasoning) was for not wanting to hook up a Ferrari with a salvage title to their diagnostic equipment. Some of these cars with salvage titles have simply been in a fender bender and the insurance company decided to total them because the cost of the new fender with labor was more than their secret percentage of the vaunted KBB worth of the car.

Ridiculous situation, but at that point I guess the owner is screwed and Ferrari will no longer connect the car to their diagnostic network?

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    But that is far from a reliable discovery or tracking method.

19. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am sorry, I totally misread that. Hope my explanation helped. I hadn't had coffee yet. I gotta stop that.

20. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am not say they use CarFax, I am saying it is public information and they watch that stuff. If it gets a claim, especially a total and salvage, you can bet they know and will have a record of that. So as soon as it hits the diagnostic system a red flag will go up.

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a customer 360 in the shop which shows a clean Carfox, but when he took it in for a trade, the F dealer located body repair records straight away, owner was totally unaware

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

No worries M8 :) but I still find it incredible that a Ferrari dealer would turn away service work on a salvage car. I wonder if other car manufacturers' dealers do the same?

I can understand if the car was modified extensively, and perhaps had a lot of aftermarket stuff on it, or different ECU's, as they simply wouldn't be equipped to work on it. But a basically box stock Ferrari? Why not work on it, or at least hook it up so you can tell the owner where to start looking. If it's an older "analog" car, a good DIY'er or an indie pro could get by without the latest and greatest diagnostic equipment, but the more recent full digital models have to be much harder to diagnose?

23. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    CarFax is known to be fairly incomplete on many, many cars. Fairly easy to have a car repaired and NOT show up on CarFax.

I'd be curious to know how the Ferrari mothership knew of the accident and subsequent repairs.

Were you able to verify the prior damage and repairs?

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In the modern era many parts for collision repair are only sold through dealers with or associated with an authorized Ferrari body shop and I believe those orders need to be made by VIN.

BOKE and SAFE4NOW like this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    CARFAX is a joke. It only serves to give their customers a false sense of security.

BOKE, Bigilo, F2003-GA and 4 others like this.