What does the E in 250GTE stand for? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What does the E in 250GTE stand for?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daytonafan, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why is there also an E stamped in the engine block behind the seriel nummer?

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #27 miurasv, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    If you mean as in the picture below on the cylinder block of 250 GTE chassis number 4247, in this case it's the internal engine number, followed by the year, and the E is said to be the type of the engine, although confusingly the engine in 250 GTE 4247 is tipo 128F, not tipo 128E. I believe only the early 250 GTEs had a tipo 128E engine with most of them having a tipo 128F engine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mine (4911) has original block 128F but stamped in block E

miurasv likes this.
  4. Bob’s 360

Bob’s 360 Rookie

Mar 30, 2018
    Cocoa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bob DeCardenas
    Fuel injection?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there never have been a 250GT/E with fuel injection

6. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    My first 250GTE, #2501 or #2601 (I forget which), was a Series II with a 128E engine, my second one, #4209, a Series III had a 128F engine. I sold the later one to Ed Niles and I think it is now in Japan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rbryson likes this.
  7. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    2501 GT was an SWB. 2601 GT (a GTE) was, according to barchetta, unfortunately converted to an SWB.

8. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Thank you for that information. I had hear a rumor that it had been re-bodied. I hit a Ford sedan in the passenger's side door after he went through a stop sign. Fortunately, no one was hurt but the driver, a University of Virginia college student, jumped out of his car and began jumping up & down, running around wringing his hands and moaning over and over again "I hit a Ferrari, I hit a Ferrari". Actually I hit him, not the other way around but thanks to the 250 GTE's excellent 4-wheel disk brakes, it was not as serious as it might have been. The front of my car was flattened back to the radiator and the body support tubing structure was crushed but State Farm Insurance could not find (or did not want to pay for) a shop with the skill necessary to repair the damage so eventually they agreed to a "like for like" swap. I found the Series III at Algor Enterprises in Rosemount, PA and their salesman, David Oplimpi, arranged the purchase with State Farm.

S/n 2601 was red with a black interior when I owned it. I bought it from a Mercedes dealer in Charlottesville, VA in about 1968. The story I got was that it had been bought in Italy by a US Army officer who brought it back to the US. He was being transferred to Vietnam and wanted to leave his wife with a new car so he traded it in on a Mercedes for her to drive while he was overseas. Someone told me that 2601 had been sold to somewhere in NC or SC but its damaged nose had not been repaired. Maybe this was a factor in its being rebodied. One interesting thing about that car was that it had an Italian-made "Condor" radio. It was a "signal- seeking" tuner that would scan its dial back and forth until it found a station. I have never seen another one like it.

of2worlds, readplays and tomc like this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2601 would be a Series 1. Are you sure the engine was tipo 128E and not 128F?

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Still no conclusive answer......I'm sticking with Elegante......:cool:

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG... Zoom Boing Z' Nourrwringmm

Jedi

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There are 250 GTOs and 250 Lussos that also have an E stamped on the engine block.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but what means this E ?

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think so too
    but why then is no A model for america?
    or have there before the models A,B C,D ? not that I would know

15. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    miurasv;

Yes, 250 GTE s/n 2601 had a 128E engine.

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    When I started this thread I expected a couple of definitive replies and then done and not so much debate. Thanks for all the replies so far.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  18. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Correct Steve, they started with the Europa line then they bored out the motor and called the same car America. Later on, they put a bored out motor in the GTE body and called the car America.

john

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  19. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Just a guess - Ellena - referring to a car that Pininfarina modified the roof.

20. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    I'm "familiar" with Ferrari history but really only know what I read. Doing a little more research using my Ferrari books - and typical of Ferrari history the results are, at best, vague - seems Pinin Farina moved their factory and production was, for a time, done by Boano/Ellena and some of those cars had elevated roofs and larger trunks but that was before the 2+2 model - so forget the above Ellena guess.

From Winston Goodfellow's Ferrari Road and Racing pages 70-71:
    " 1960 - 1963
    250 GTE & 330 America
    ....Enzo's Ferrari: A car for IL Commendatore.....
    From late 1954 to 1960 Ferrari did not produce a four seat model. That changed with the introduction of the 250 GT 2+2, commonly known as the 250 GTE.
    Such a lengthy gap was surprising, given Enzo Ferrari's preference. The two seat models "were not my father's preference" said Piero Ferrari. "He loved the 2+2 ....this was his personal car......he always had a driver with him and a little dog. So for him a two seat car wasn't enough"

As with so many things Italian that's the "explanation" from a renowned Ferrari authority and concours judge. That's right, an explanation, not a reason or an answer to your original question. I do hope some one can come up with a better answer though.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe he named it after his dog?

Ok starter for 10 points : name his dawg?

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps you should reach out to long term owners, researchers or restorers via 250 GTE Registry or similar group.
    I would imagine someone in those circles must know the answer, even if nobody here appears to.

Daytonafan likes this.
  23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Endurance?

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson