THE MAD RAVINGS OF A PISTA OWNER | Page 3 | FerrariChat

THE MAD RAVINGS OF A PISTA OWNER

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Jan 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Wow! Thank you for that!

SECRET likes this.
  2. Henry Bex

Henry Bex Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Henry Bex
    Amazing car, you are a lucky man. And 230 mph - do you mind if I ask what car you were in?

SECRET likes this.
  3. kingp0820

kingp0820 Rookie

Dec 6, 2017
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Ramon Periquet Jr
    Enjoyed the read... thank you! Doubt I’ll ever own a Pista but thank goodness I’m lucky enough to have a friend close by that just got his. At least I’ll surely get a ride in it. ;-)

of2worlds and SECRET like this.
  4. chaspotts

chaspotts Rookie

May 25, 2015
    This is my favorite non-Enzo era Ferrari, even over the F8. I also love the gold wheels, that's exactly how I would spec it.

kingp0820, FordGTDriver and of2worlds like this.
  5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Henry, I was in a Ford GT.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Beautiful car!

Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Dan

7. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Is it true, that cup holders are another 3 grand?

8. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    fantastic review!!!! thank you for sharing!

9. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Fantastic review!

10. CSlow997

CSlow997 Rookie

Aug 5, 2016
    North Atlantic
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Beautiful car and thanks for sharing... but I’ve been dying to ask someone with knowledge of both that and a 458 Speciale. Allowing for the seemingly mandatory increase in “numbers” that comes with each generation it’s love to hear what you think about how they compare in sheer “feel”. Put it this way... things like resale aside if you could only ever have and keep one Fezza to drive until your last days which one would you pick? What would be your proverbial final drive? I’ve not yet considered a 488-gen model at all but I do know I tend to lean towards character well before performance in my stable.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  11. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    My Pista Spyder coming in in a few weeks but I loved the look of the F8 Spyder and I'm wondering what to do next - take the profit on the Pista S and switch down to an F8 Spyder. I have a 488 (my first ever F), an 812 and a GT2RS that I'll be trading in for the new Pista S. Any thoughts on strat and happiness down the road?

12. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Enjoyed reading about your new car! Am awaiting additional news! For those that have an interest in a closed highway event near Sun Valley Idaho:
    https://sunvalleytourdeforce.com/

Believe top speed last summer was around 250 MPH.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Safety is important on fast cars, and tyres should be kept in good condition. Just remember to have fun and don't let unnecessary concerns mess with your mind. These tyres are thoroughly tested and properly rated for those speeds. If it can put your mind at ease, just remember that here on the Autobahn, there are sportscar owners that run upwards of those speeds almost on a daily basis. We see people in 488's and heavy Lussos cruise along on a sunday morning or on a quiet week night eating up boring miles at a steady 200+ mph rarely dropping below 180. Check your tyres regularly and do an inspection like you do, because that's what needs to be done before a racing type event. But you can be quite sure that unless you have a properly damaged tyre, you don't need to worry too much about a high speed blowout. The MPSC2 was after all the tyre of choice for the Koenigsegg speed record run;)

I think the speeds you are shooting for might be possible on that stretch. Put me down for a 208 guess:D

of2worlds and FordGTDriver like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hey there. Remember that you are driving a Ferrari Spider. Spyders are made by that other "Italian" farm equipment manufacture I dare not mention lol:D

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Lol.... so not believable. I think it would be safe to unleash the hounds on this one.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just read his post again. Got caught up in the whole Syder thing.

But yes, skmething is amiss. Trading in both a GT2RS and an 812 for a Pista Spider - and then keeping the 488? I adore the Pista Spider and can't wait to really experience it. But trading it for those, and then considering stepping down to an F8 is just nuts.

Victkr, if you have a Spider on the way, and the means to own what you say you own, here's the skinny of it. Sell the 488, and keep the rest. If you have an 812, a 488 and a GT2RS, I can't for the life of me, see why you would tradd in those two. IF you need to trade in two cars, trade in the 488 and GT2RS. A Pista Spider and an 812 is as best-of-both-worlds as you can get.

Thecadster, of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes aside the fact it would be akin to committing financial suicide 3 times over, the simple thought of doing something like that is just not even remotely believable. Unleash the hounds without any further ado!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You know the drill... pics or it didn’t happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. europa

europa Rookie

Oct 16, 2006
    Ventura County,CA.
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Perfectly said.....I just received my 2020 Pista and everything you described in your article is true. You took the words right out of my mouth:)

20. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    #70 FordGTDriver, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    That, Sir, is an excellent question, and one that I have wrestled with for quite some time. Isn’t it interesting how a car on paper vs. a car on the road is so totally different? I’ve owned a few cars that I immediately fell in love with and never looked back...while others got old quite quickly and went to the glue factory. In other words, I agree with your assessment that character comes first. Some of my very favorite cars are most certainly not the fastest cars in the stable.

With regard to the Speciale vs. the Pista, I think what it boils down to for me is the Turbo vs. NA discussion. (This, because the cars are built on the same basic platform). There is no question that there is a significant difference in the driving experience between the two. Some love the razor sharp throttle response and unfettered exhaust note of the Speciale (and who wouldn’t?) while others love the swell of immense power that accompanies revs in the 488/Pista. I am firmly in the Turbo camp, and have been ever since my two-stroke motorcycle days. What makes the Pista remarkable is that with the reduction in internal engine weight, increase in power, and clever software management, the old school turbo lag has been irradicated. So, for me, I would have to say that the Pista is my preference. It’s the one I could take to the grave and be happy. However, I have a ton of respect for the Speciale and would not argue with those who felt that IT was the keeper between the two.

johnr265, Katonk, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  21. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I had the pleasure of driving the Sun Valley Road Rally/Tour De Force on two separate occasions, and it is a great event. I last ran it in my former 675LT. I can’t think of better place to attend a car event than Ketchum/Sun Valley, and the people are the absolute best. Highly recommended!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    What a great write up. Can't wait for my Pista to start production!

FordGTDriver likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Regular Pista or Spider? Is it R10 yet?

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Just a plain old Pista. Could not secure a Spider allocation. Still in 10G.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    This is awesome. The fabric interior got me. The red exterior is awesome. Ferrari always producing beasts.

SECRET likes this.