Saudi Arabia next to host a GP ? | FerrariChat

Saudi Arabia next to host a GP ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #1 william, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    F1 set for £50m-a-year Saudi Arabia deal – report

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-set-for-50m-a-year-saudi-arabia-deal-report/

Saudi Arabia is poised to be one of the next destinations on the calendar with Formula 1 reportedly close to agreeing a deal worth £50million a year.
    According to the Daily Mail, amongst other newspaper reports, Saudi Arabia could join the schedule as early as 2021 with a street race in Jeddah acting as a stop-gap until a purpose-built circuit is ready for the following year.
    The report also states that Formula 1 has ‘struck a global sponsorship deal’ with Saudi Arabian oil giant Aramco, the world’s richest company valued at $2 trillion, meaning the race would likely be known as the ‘Aramco Saudi Arabian Grand Prix’.

The race is set to be held in the early stages of the season in order to avoid the scorching hot temperatures between May and September.
    Formula 1 is no stranger to the Middle East having held races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, and promoters of the former race would welcome more growth to the area with the addition of a Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.

A spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit said: “Since our first race in 2004, our goal has been to grow the fanbase for motorsport in the region. We would, therefore, welcome initiatives which can support that growth and believe that a future race in Saudi Arabia would be complementary.”

It is not just Saudi Arabia that is reportedly set to join the calendar next year as the long sought-after Miami Grand Prix is also said to be close to completion.
    The report says that Formula 1 bosses are ‘increasingly confident’ of overcoming the local opposition to the race in order for a second US race to be held in 2021.

It is believed that none of the current races are under threat by the potential new arrivals, meaning a 24-race calendar could be in store from next season.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Jeddah ? please Noooooooo,what a XXXXhole!

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They could hold it during the hajj. Guaranteed to have a huge crowd.

Sunracer likes this.
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Please, just no. Put another race in the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Europe... But stop putting races in places with zero tradition in motorsports.

Ferrari 308 GTB and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    OK, but which other location/country is going to put £50M on the table ?

It's obvious that the Saudis do it only to soften their image, but who cares; F1 needs the money.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Far better than Riyadh. But it might be something connected to the new city that MBS is wanting to build since that is supposed to be an open city with outside international investments, kind of a city of tomorrow. I can see this as something that MBS would see as part of his desired transformation of the country - no question they have the money to pay Liberty Media the fee.

One item that Saudi Arabia would have to solve for the race is the tourist visa process. Maybe something where a hotel reservation equals an invite letter or visa upon arrival.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why not put the track on Nafud--I'm sure you can find land there inexpensively.

8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    What a waste if true , talk about whoring out F1 .

Ferrari 308 GTB and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    On a differing perspective,... at least the Saudi's won't be pushing for F1 to be green. Screaming V10's for me please!!

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I just had a nightmare: Saudi grid girls in local "outfit":D never thought I would say the ban was a good idea but there yup!

LVP488 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If you don't want to see FP1/2 can always go to 'downtown' Jeddah,as a foreigner they will guarantee you a free front row place on Friday at Chop Square:(

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The new Dubai. Fly to Jeddah and only there for a quick Visa. This can be done. Ive been weeks in Riyadh in the past. Had no major issues to speak of. This is an interesting concept for a race. Yes other places are more F1 oriented but we shall see.

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Facepalm.

Flavio_C likes this.
  14. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I was based in Jeddah in 2007/8,so when RBR came to town in March 2008 I was looking forward to watch and hear the cars being demonstrated by David C.As there is very very little else to do there...

They basically fenced off a main road in the centre and we were hanging around right by the temporary pit area.

When DC came out it was pretty cool and he roared off, came back, and did a couple of donuts then parked it.

Turns out some morons climbed over the fencing and were walking around while DC was giving it full beans.So rest of demo was cancelled.

So had a few cans of RB and went back 'home' to the compound...home made beer and 'wine';)

I will not be going back to the Kingdom,thank God!

DF1 and LVP488 like this.
  16. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Public beheadings between Q1, Q2, and Q3?

Flavio_C likes this.
  17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That might one way to bring new drivers into F1..............

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari 308 GTB— “So had a few cans of RB and went back 'home' to the compound...home made beer and 'wine';)

I’m certain this was an interesting vintage

:)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This is going to save F1. I mean, we've all been begging for a race there for decades.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How about Iran?

Surely even Liberty wouldn't try that :rolleyes:

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why not ? F1 went to Russia and China, and now Vietnam and Saudi Arabia.
    From a purely business angle, no country should be dismissed as a potential place for a GP.
    Also, sport is a very good ambassador in countries the West has trouble with.
    I remember that a table tennis tournament marked the start of the US-China dialogue many years ago under Nixon.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Well for starters they want to 'obliterate' Israel.I mean cmon.They are basically one step from a full blown war with the rest of the civilized world.

Can just see the Ayatollah or whoever doing a grid walk with Chase hahaha

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, maybe having sporting events there would diffuse all that tension.
    For once, the media would have to report about something positive, instead of stiring up hysteria like the do all the time.
    You can only influence a country and change its mentality if you exchange with it, that's my opinion.

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And that is the problem with F1 today.

It doesn"t have the leverage any more and you can smell its desperation in the air.

ARMCO SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX

25. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Give us an African Gran Prix! :)