Chris Harris on the Roma | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chris Harris on the Roma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agree with that but have to get used to the SF90 as the current flagship. 812s is relatively old news now given all the releases that have followed and are coming out with Roma being one of them. Its a different segment but similar in other respects. Not sure where you see so many mistreated prior flagships. I'm sure somebody out there going in and out of cars without real ownership mistreats them but the ones I have seen are immaculate.

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    a 808F; it's hard enough to read ;)

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Maybe we could just take Chris Harris' comment literally- HE- would rather purchase a pre-owned F12? (Its been a few days since I listened to his comments so maybe I am mis-remembering). But the F12 is about as traditional Ferrari as you can get- front engine, NA V12... Roma is really not aimed at the traditional V12 client. Rather its aimed at taking clients away from other brands. Early feedback suggests it is doing just that.

I was just reading the latest Car magazine (UK) and they say the Roma is beautiful and clearly fills a hole in Ferrari's lineup. So, everyone has their opinion.

Happy holidays everyone!

R J, stavura, uhn2000 and 3 others like this.
  4. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    I guess his main argument was that "the ROMA looks identical to an Aston Martin! and he added "if I was Aston Martin I wouldn't be there, I would be on to my lawyer!!!!!" :D

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Well, I have not seen it in person, but from pictures, I don't think it looks identical to an Aston. Sure it has some similar themes, but I suspect Aston doesn't hold some kind of patent or copyright on "handsome front engine" design. To me, the Roma has a very "Italian" look to it- the Aston doesn't. It's a subtle difference and that's just how it strikes me based on pics.

6. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It looks beautiful though. First time in my life I see a copy which looks more beautiful than the original thing!, we have a very strange situation here :D:D

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Everyone seems to have missed his comment that Roma should have been a Maserati, agree and the upcoming Maserati M240 appears to be more Ferrari then the traditional Maserati road car. they should still be sister companies.

LVP488 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed. Roma should have been branded a Maserati. I would like it a lot more if it were a Maserati. Ferrari keeps ruining the brand with each passing day.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Chris is just mad that Ferrari have taken this direct attack on Aston.

10. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    utterly nonsense

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Chris Harris already declared that is heart is unconditionally upstairs. This passionate Chris wasn’t impressed at all by the elegance of the young beauty downstairs and even confused her with someone else. Fortunately she doesn't lack in admirers therefore she simply ignores Chris's contempt.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    I missed that, when did he say that?

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The reality is that when FIAT let Ferrari manage Maserati, Ferrari completely screwed up the opportunity under the unquestionably brilliant leadership of Luca Di Montezemolo.
    Ferrari had then another brand that was less prestigious and for which increasing the production was not a threat to the appeal, but they did not even manage to sell as many Maserati as Ferrari - so they concluded it was far easier to sell Ferrari cars and went the lazy way instead of working to develop Maserati (and FIAT took Maserati back).

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I often do not concur with Harris, but this time around, I do. Choice of F12 over Roma is absolute no-brainer!

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Lots of buyers can't tell the difference between a V8 and a V12, but they notice the cool screens in the Roma, so I think that from a business point of view, the Roma makes sense.

I don't think it it co be sold well as a Maserati, too expensive for that. They already struggled to sell the 150k euro Gran Turismo.

16. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Apparently, Ferrari car owners are discerning, resourceful, successful or competent enough in their lives to consider buying at least one 250.000-500.000 USD (if not millions in the case of rare classics) car. Some do have more than one of those and many have some other cars in their collections, as valuable or close to those figures.

Yet, when it comes to their knowledge about cars, according to your -allegedly disrespectful comment- "lots" of those buyers seem to be flawed or ignorant enough so that they wouldn't know the number of pistons the cars they buy have, or, continuing your line of reasoning if they had manual or automatic transmissions.

I wouldn't dare to belittle Ferrari buyers in a Ferrari forum so as to position yourself in higher grounds above others, mere mortals.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, I didn't want to be disrespectful... but you should consider a few things.

First, it's obvious that there are folks born with money or who are smart for business, but nothing else. Also money and taste often don't go together.

And second: I think you should not compare the average Ferrari customer to the people here. Here comes people who enjoys talking about cars so it's more interested in the subject and pays more attention to subtetlies like what's under the hood.

Of course, I didn't mean that the average customer can't tell the difference between 8 and 12 cylinders literally: it's just that they don't care, and they're in their right to do so. They just want a car that is fast and don't care about how it's done.

Personally, I'm not such a motor junkie to prefer a F12 over a Roma just for the engine.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I am. (but it's not JUST for the engine)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Probably there are many valid reasons, but I suppose not enough for the average customer: they just see that for the money of an used V12 they can get a new Roma.

20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    < 2k miles and < 3 yrs old = "used"?

21. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    The Roma is unfortunately not a 2+2 nor is it a 2 seater. It is something in between which I do not understand... why is it as large as the ‚fat‘ 812?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I do not know who it is that was speaking like Chris and looked like Chris. The person in the video ranked his top five GT Ferraris three four seaters, an admitted horror of maintenance, and the F12. I do not know how many caveats would be necessary to have four of those five as my favorites (I do like the F12). It would just not happen. Oh, and he denigrated the beautiful, outstanding Roma. Weird stuff this.

RamsHmb likes this.
  23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, yes, that's used: you can't choose the colors! And it hasn't those modern gadgets that people is used to have in expensive cars.

Priorities, I guess.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think he is spot on. I will never like it or call that disaster anything but the Maserati Roma.

25. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was one of those decrying the uterine back end (it's still certainly not my favorite part of the car) back when it was first shown; it took a long time for me to warm to the shape of the F12.

Mike