Just Purchased my first 308 (well first Ferrari ever)! | FerrariChat

Just Purchased my first 308 (well first Ferrari ever)!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ron308fromSFBayArea, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Just purchased a '78 308, my first Ferrari and wanted to really just say hi and hopefully pick up some 308 owner advice. I purchased the car from the original owner who has maintained the car in its original condition (sans catalytic converters. A/C and exhaust). The original owner has given me all the original accessories right down to the window sticker and the original 308 jacket he wore in the late 70's. But the history on this car is pretty cool too. The car even at the Playboy mansion for a playmate photo shoot (Owner gave me an original picture from the actual shoot

My immediate concern in passing California smog, current owner is in california as am I. the owner indicated he just gave it to his mechanic and he took it somewhere and it came back "passed". Can someone advise as to to whether current owner must go get car smogged before I take delivery of it? Seems like that is required if smog was more than 90 days ago (which it was).

I would post photo of car with model but im assuming there are restrictions against pictures with topless models in them...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dane, Albert-LP and Pis7a2020 like this.
  2. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats and cool provenance. As for the CA smog, I'd make friends with prior owner's mechanic. Welcome to the club.

3. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Thanks. His mechanic died 3 months ago and he's in So Cal and I'm in No Cal

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You’re going to need a smog cert. Technically yes, the seller is supposed to provide you with that but he’s not forcing you to buy the car and can just sell it to someone who doesn’t demand it. You’ll need to put all the equipment back on to pass a test, the days of finding underground pencil whippers are pretty much gone. There’s no incentive for anyone to do that for you.

6. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Thank you for the reply, that very helpful. Any idea how much time I have before I have to get it smogged?

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Until your court date...

Cwheeler likes this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Current owner must smog it before pass on to u , I’m not sure if 78 is old enough to be exempt but a dmv search should confirm that.
    Congrats on your ownership!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Thanks. ‘78 is not exempt from smog, 75 and older I believe.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Then legally he has to give u a smog certificate, I believe it to be the law

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Carbureted engine in California. Why did you do that? What you need to do is to find someone who knows this particular model well, ensure all the smog equipment is still there, make sure the engine runs well (good compression, no leakage, good ignition, oil changed, filters clean, carburetors balanced and cleaned). This mechanic should also have a smog machine or a gas analyzer machine to look at the exhaust. Then lean it out to pass the smog number.

As for where you live, that is a big place. There are several Ferrari mechanics that could handle this beast to pass smog. Roselli in the south bay who actually has a SMOG testing station set up. Good luck.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is true and it can be ground for buyer to back out of the deal and get all of his money back. But it does not seem like our buyer is wanting to do that. He just wants to pass smog and get the car in his name. I think he has 30 days to change ownership title.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

+1 for Roberto. He is probably the most trusted Ferrari mechanic in the South Bay. He has so many cars.

14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As said although there is technically a legal requirement you can't really force the seller to get you a smog cert, he can just refund your money, take the car back and sell it to someone else. FWIW this is not an insurmountable task if you have all the bits and pieces. The most critical would be the air injection manifolds on the heads. If they have been removed it is darn near impossible to get the front bank one on with the engine in the car although there is probably someone out there who could pull it off. With all of the equipment installed you should be able to get it through unless there is something seriously wrong with the engine - in which case you'd want to get it fixed anyway. Good luck.

15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I noticed the idle retard switch wiring is not present. Provide more photos of your engine compartment to see what is missing.
    Is the air injection tubing connected, and are the air injection ports on the headers welded or just capped?

I just recently passed smog in California for my 1978 308. I have all the emissions equipment installed and fully operational. I bought a remanufactured correct vintage air injection pump on Ebay to replace my broken non-original pump. It did take replacing the original size 55 idle jets with a 65 in order to adjust the idle mixture for a complete combustion. It appears the gas in California is a leaner fuel than the size 55 jet would allow in for a combustible mixture. My HC was very high and could only be dialed in within emission requirements with a 65 idle jet. This allowed enough gas to cause complete combustion.

If you still want to keep the 308, you could register it as a non-op, until you get the emissions equipment in order. Hopefully, you have all the air injection hoses, diverted valve, manifolds, solenoid valves, evap emissions hoses / canister, etc...

16. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Thanks to all of you who have posted in response, I really appreciate it. The seller is is a straight shooter and I am pretty confident I have a a car that was well maintained over its life and I want to figure out how I’m going to get a smog done rather than not go through with the sale (he had higher offers and took mine because he wants me to have the car). That being said all the cat equipment is removed and he doesn’t have any of it. I have the original muffler but have no idea what he installed for a muffler when he first bought the car and took the cats off. I also appreciate the local mechanic recommendations, seems like bringing the car to someoene who has a smog station and knows Ferrari’s might be a good next step. I’m a bit nervous after reading your posts, I don’t want to back out on the sale(fell in love with the car once I saw it and got the entire history) but also don’t want to spend thousands of dollars in parts/labor just to Pass a biannual smog test.

17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    In California, you have 10 days to register vehicle after purchasing. If the owner already transferred the liability of the Ferrari to you via the DMV website or paper work, then the DMV has the info and will be wanting their money. If you are keeping the Ferrari, then register as non-op, find a shop to install equipment / smog the Ferrari and tow it to them. When you pass smog, then pay the full registration to be able to drive it on the road.

Just my .02.

18. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Would a Montana LLC work I’m my case if I paid the sales tax, am I likely to be successful in keeping a Montana plates 308 in San Francisco and drive it around without an issue? If that’s another way to avoid the smog but pay the sales tax, would they leave me alone and I would be ok? Hate to try and go that route but just looking for ideas.

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Check ebay, enter “Ferrari 308 air injection”, etc. to get an idea on used part prices. Injection rails, diverted valve, etc.

20. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Again all your advice is really helpful. If I have 10 days to register the sale (which has not yet occurred) , what happens with the smog, do I have to have smog done before its registered in my name? Current owner did smog a year ago so there’s a year left of his smog it from what I read that won’t extend to me unless it was done 90 days or less prior to sale to me, which it was not. My last question (which I’m afraid to ask) does anyone have a guesstimate of what it would cost to find all the parts and have them installed? Would like to know how big a problem I’m going to have if it’s the only viable solution. Again thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

21. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    FWIW, California and Montana know about this. Montana started charging a luxury tax a couple of years ago on Ferraris, Lamborghini, etc. Some have had to pay over $800 annual luxury tax plus registration and California has the CHP on the lookout. Google DMV and CHP looking for Montana plates. People are taking photos and turning them in and CHP is catching them too. CA wants their annual fees and taxes.

22. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    Thanks for the reply, I assumed that was the case with Montana plates, but just figured if I paid the sales tax in California but had Montana plates maybe they wouldn’t go after me since they got their money, but what I’m hearing is that I’ll still get in trouble. Not worth it for me, if that is the case.

23. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    These are all the engine photos I have with me and the owner says he doesn’t have ANY of the original equipment (except muffler).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
    What about going for an antique plate? I know they don’t waive smog for a’78 altogether but from what I was reading I’m DMV website the emissions test for an antique plated vehicle is less stringent than for regular plates. Anybody experienced with going this route? Obviously car would then be intended primarily for parades, etc but seems like the definition of use of antique plates is open to interpretation and might be an option for me? Would love to hear from others who are experienced with antique plates in CA and smog for 308

25. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I see the air diverter valve set up. Are the air injection ports welded shut or have cap fitting installed?
    Just an idea based on Ebay prices, some used, some new items: Ferrari 308 air injection, Ferrari 308 emission, Ferrari 308 converter, etc.
    Air injection pump, diverter valve, solenoids, rails, (1-2k), cat converters 300 - 500 each (1k), evap emissions missing components (300 plus), if air injection ports welded (over 2k), this does not include the labor cost. Others would have to provide a number, I do all my own work. Engine removal would be needed for front header replacement and air injection rail installation.